Garmin MapSource Version 6

You should have clicked that little box in the bottom left corner that says "Route Calculation Data...etc". This will make a big difference in the size and magically you will not fit all onto a 128Mb card!!!

In Mapsource 4 England, Wales, Scotland, Nthrn Ireland and Ireland (90 Maps) comes to 83.6Mb without route calculation data and 132.9Mb with the data.

On that basis there is a significant increase in the data in Euro City Nav 6 ( an additional 23Mb) - it cannot all be the Isle of Man:p :rolleyes: ;) :p

Question why are there fewer maps? If I click and unclick on Nav 4 it does not change the number of maps...

... also it is City Nav that changes the data not Mapsource

map sizes

I think i'm missing something here,do you mean the check box when you transfer to data card?This doesnt make any difference whether you check it or uncheck it on mine,74 maps=121mb

Lyndon

Re: sorry

snave1 said:
Sorry,just realised,version5 doesnt have a check box

Are you refering to v5 of City Navigator or v5 of MapSource?

It is MapSource that has the checkbox - you should be using v5.4 which is available as a free upgrade, downloadable from here

Greg

Version 6 loaded but....

The version 6 update Cd-rom arrived yesterday.

I loaded it onto my PC and gained the unlock code from Garmin, which luckily was free as I had only bought and registered the unit in December.

One problem so far. when I wanted to load the new maps on to the data card I could only load around half of them due to the size increase, however just read what has been written above about un-ticking the route data box, so will tyr that later.

When I loaded the selected maps to the data card it took nearly 2 hours to load maps on to the card, which seemed very odd, as with v5 it was only a matter of minutes to complete the task. Anybody else had this problem, or is it me?

AR

Andy, I presume that’s 2h using the card reader? Because I struggled a couple of times getting data on to the card, it seemed to start then after a few moments stop after moving just a few percent of the data. Tried a few times until it finally went on without stopping.
It would help if the card reader showed up as a drive then you could drag n drop the map segments yourself, anybody got a fix for that?

It did seem a bit odd when using the data card reader that it took so long to build the index of files prior to downloading them.

Like you, I thought it had stopped at first. In the end I just let it get on with it while having dinner. In the end it did load it all on to the card.

I thought that the idea of using the USB port was the greater speed of transfer that was achieved over using the serial port, at this rate it seems about the same speed.

AR

There doesn’t seem to be any consistency to it Andy, perhaps someone else will chip in when they wake up ;)

Odd

Seems very odd this lengthy map download. I have just loaded all the maps for my next trip over to belgium, some 40 maps and it took 12mins using v5.4. I would be onto garmin first thing monday to sort this out.

Re: Spot the Deliberate Mistake

Gerry Huxtable said:
Oops,

forgot to check routing data box.:rolleyes:

Now - 33 Maps and 127.3 mb

more or less same as Mr. T.

cheers

Gerry H.

What would be the point of loading the maps without the route calculation data?

what version

I'm running 4.13 mapsource and version 5 city navigator,is there much difference to ver 5.4?Does this add the check box,i have the check box on the download to device box instead i think.

Cheers
Lyndon

Not a lot of difference betwen Mapsource (program) v4.13 and v5.4

Mapsource v5.4 will actually say that the area you have selected is slightly larger than v4.13 will say for exactly the same area. If you are borderline for adding one more segment in then this may be a (minor) hassle.

Also, if you exchange waypoints, routes or tracks in mapsource format then v4.13 cannot read the v5.0 (and later) .mps files

I'm finding CN6 is taking longer to build its' base map index on the PC, but the data transfer is around the same time. I've also just driven on my 1st road where CN 6 is updated over 5.4 - the new M11 to Stanstead Airport link road.

City Select v6 Update

For the V owners still waiting I spoke to Garmin this morning - CS v6 CDs are due with them end of this week so we should see them middle of next week.

I've already paid for my unlock code and I'm hoping the maps don't increase in memory size the same as the CN ones have or I can see me reverting to v5 most of the time :(

Adam

Slow Download to Data Card with v6

I have just spoken to Garmin about the time it is taking to build the maps and download them to the data card via the USB data card reader, since upgrading to City Navigator Version 6.

It is now taking me about 2 hours to download all the UK maps to the card, which is about 1.75 hours longer than it used to take when using Version 5.

According to the chap at Garmin Europe, they have already spotted this and agree that there is a problem with the update.

He did say that he didn't think that Garmin USA were aware of the problem as yet, but at least they have acknowledged that there is a fault.

At least I now know that it is not my old banger of a computer playing up.

AR

Amazing

How did that get past the testing and quality control. Surely someone must have tried a usb download before releasing the upgrade as working. Obviously they didn't.

One hour and ten minutes to load 485 megs of maps onto a 512 meg CF card, using CN 6, MapSource 5.4, and a little CF card holder that fits into the PCMCIA slot on my laptop (cost USD $15).

This is 'with' autorouting data.

PanEuropean

Just received MapSource v6 today.

In fact, they generously sent me 2 copies of it, probably because they know I'm such a nice guy.

If anyone wants the spare one, email me at tobers{at}stopthebuffeting{dot}com and I'll whiz it over in the post.

Back
Top Bottom