1200 RT on the way

Thanks for the replies guys.

Zoltan - That's an expensive mistake! :blast

Correct...It is not the first time ( had two k1200rs before ) and it want be the last...I am a real fashion tart ,minus the chiwawa...

They're paying you far too much old chap.....how many bikes in the stable now???

Doesn't Nippy do aftermarket stebel nautilus horns? Is there a twin setup available?

Enjoy the new steed Lee, see you in a couple of years.:thumb

Greetings Adam

This one is to replace the 1150 I had before so it's not an addition (Well not really... ;))

NN do aftermarket horns - I've got one sat in the garage - but the connection isn't the same spade connectors that the older horns used to use. It uses a much smaller plastic-covered connector. Whether I can simply cut this off and connect 2 spade connections to it has yet to be seen.

Perhaps someone will know the answer to that one?

I haven't touched it as my skills with these things are limited to put it mildly... :rolleyes:

Enjoy Aus old bean!

Lee

Hi Lee,

Well, you've had the RT for a few months now, what are your thoughts on the bike, are you still enjoying the ownership experience?

I'm seriously considering changing the GT now and my head is telling me to buy the RT. I've taken out the GSA (enjoyed it but it lacks the luxuries), the K1200S (fecking fast, a great bike but no good for 30K miles a year) and the RT (it's a great bike but lacks soul).

As I've said, I took out the RT for a test ride a few days ago and thought it was so much nicer to ride than my GT, it was very comfortable, it had less wind buffeting and it felt smoother to ride. It has a larger tank and has better fuel economy - not something most bikers look at but doing the kind of mileage I do it makes a big difference!

So, you see, I've almost convinced myself into the RT, I'd like the GSA but I know it wouldn't be as good as the RT and I still have the KTM in the garage when I want to let my hair down:aidan

Anyway, I'd love to read the half term report on your RT.

Cheers

Mark

Yep,

I would be interested on how you are getting on.

Still love my rt,

did the mod with the rad grill the other week, got some new daytona boots with the raised inner heal, as could only just touch the floor with my toes,

looked at a lower seat but still wanted to look over the screen.

Got mine for the two up riding i do, had a vfr vtec previously.

Just had the 12k service, all seems fine.

Paul

Paul,

What are the services? With my GT I have an oil change at 6,000 (about £200) then another one at 12K then a valve check at 18K (about £450). How does the RT compare?

Cheers

Mark

12k was, classed as a liquid change all round,

came to just under £200, it was the first service i have paid for, as just got the bike in feb,

Next time will use a local ex bmw mechanic as the warranty will be out of date by then.

Not sure about the other service levels, just know its every 6k

well pleased with the bike, the ESA is a great option.

RT

As others will know , I used to have one of these .

http://media.putfile.com/Year-of-the-cat
http://media.putfile.com/Bibury
http://media.putfile.com/A-Ride-in-the-country

Great bike , great weather protection [ too much in the summer really ] , great fuel range [ easily over 300 miles per tank ] , very easy to ride .
Paul W raises a good point about the tyres , Conti are best suited for this bike .

Get some miles under yer belt , as the engine just gets better with use [ same as other boxers really ] .

The only problem I had with mine was the rubber stopper that stops the fairing touching the fairing [ left hand side ] came off , and with the screen down all the way , it would vibrate a little .

Safe riding ,

Steve

12k was, classed as a liquid change all round,

came to just under £200, it was the first service i have paid for, as just got the bike in feb,

Next time will use a local ex bmw mechanic as the warranty will be out of date by then.

Not sure about the other service levels, just know its every 6k

well pleased with the bike, the ESA is a great option.

Just had my 12K done by an independent BMW spanner (RGM at Croston near Preston) It comprised air and oil filters - engine and gearbox oil (2 years) - fault code memory read - TB synch - tappets plus the usual checks and inspections

£149 (mind you I did remove the tupperware myself)

I'm a GSA owner contemplating an RT. Got rather seduced by the comfort when I test rode one on Monday. My GSA is a great bike but it just leaves me a bit knackered and whilst practical - you can't beat whacking the laptop in a pannier and your clothes in another and zooming off with your bum nice and warm!

I ride to work most days and I suspect an RT will be less of a faff and will get me there in a more relaxed manner. If money was no object I'd have both and a supermoto to much about on!

Just need to have more of a think...:augie

Charlie/Mark N

I'm now up to 1700 miles on the RT with a few more coming up shortly as I'll be doing the Home to The Hague round trip (Some 720 miles).

Servicing costs I can't comment on yet though I seem to remember that it's simply an oil change and check over at 6k. 12k is somewhat more involved and I'm expecting to pay 300+ for that one.

As for the GSA versus the RT. Well I haven't ridden a GSA though I did own a 12 GS a few years back (One of the early 2004 models) which I had from new. Cracking bike and very good at nearly everything but I do think that the RT is the best application for the boxer engine, particularly if you don't venture off-road, as is the case with many of us.

I remain very happy with Herbie. My next purchase is a tank bag for him as well as comparing the difference between 95 and 97/98 Octance fuels to try and quantify the difference for myself. Should be interesting. :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom