1200 RT on the way

Navy Boy

Reaction score
Took the trusty 1150RT in for it's 18k service at CW's last Friday with a view to taking a K12GT out for a ride.

Have to say I liked the K a lot - Stonking engine and, once I'd put the standard seat onto the higher of the two positions, comfy riding position. However there's a but...

With the seat in it's higher position I found the screen too low, even on its highest setting. A shame really but there you go (Sorry Mark :rolleyes:).

Thereafter tried a 1200RT, more out of interest than anything else. Instantly liked it finding it more comfy than the K with a more natural (OK, OK more like my 1150 then...) riding position and the standard screen is ruddy great.

I pick mine up next weekend. Its an SE and I've gone for the large topbox as well.

I'll try and post some pics when I can figure out how to...

Any other 1200RT riders out there with any sage advice?

It's going to be a long week waiting for it!

There's a very 'ex' member (read my sig. line) of this forum just aquiring one, no doubt due in no small part to the way he managed to cook the 'Sage' Books ....:spitfire

Hi, good luck with your new bike, heres mine, a rose amongst thorns, but I,m biassed :D

100_0759.jpg

Feel free to pm anything you need to know, one thing I can think of right away is to suggest you remove the foam insert behind the plastic alternator belt cover ( a five min job), see thread here;

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136102

I had an 06 K1200GTSe, which I used on a long trip via the Alps for a week, then )down into Tuscany, then back via Grande Route des Alpe. The fuel injection/gearbox combo was not good in the twisty/hilly bits. :( Now have the R1200RT and much prefer it so far, will find out after a planned trip to the Picos then Pyrennes to Southern France in July.:)

Yep got a blue one,

se version too, 56 plate, so no servo brakes.

Hope to get the top box sprayed over next few weeks,

great bike.

Yep I noticed that the servo brakes have become a thing of the past - Well on the 1200 Boxers at least.

I can't say that I had as much of a problem with the servo system as some appear to have. My only complaint is that the back brake on my 1150 is a bit on/off in its action.

i'm looking forward to having cruise control and the ESA. I reckone those are the two bits I'm going tot most use out of. Plus SWMBO has given a thumbs up to the heated seat too. Result! :)

Yes the option to change from sports to normal to comfort, depending on yo,ur riding location is excellent,

cruise control mostly used it in enforced speed limists on dual carraigeways etc, expect to use it more when on long distances.

Heated seats have been great so far with the weather still not being that great.

You just have to remember with the esa, you need to change the two up bit prior to sitting on the bike.

Just had fitted some pilot road 2s, ready for out trip to scotland on the 26 May,

The only thing i am really missing about my V4 is the sound.

Enjoy your new toy.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Paul - I didn't know that about the preload settings on the ESA. Good tip.

I've remembered to get a fender extender fitted to it this week which should hopefully save the engine finish a bit. Roll on Sat! :D

It's here!

:thumb

Well I picked up the 1200RT on Sat and took the scenic route home - Approx 95 miles.

Impressions thus far are that the gearbox is already really slick, the weight difference is really noticeable and the standard screen is tip-top though it helps having the saddle in the lower of the 2 positions.

The only con I can think of so far is that the toolkit is a bit on the stingy side. good job I've got a few bits and bobs (Including a BMW spark plug spanner) in the garage already... :bounce1

Anyone know how much I can expect to pay for the first 600-800 mile service?

Congrats NB
I had a go on one while the XChallenge had it's sevice at Cw's,
was booked on a F800GS but it was raining and the RT looked
a better option :)
Lovely bike and the heated seat is very nice..
i'd definately get one if i actually went anywhere :rolleyes:

Great bike. Mine's going in June; I've got to get a GSA out of my system. I have a horrible feeling I'm going to regret it especially the heated seats and screen and handling and engine and.........

Anyway, top tip - the bike is sensitive to tyres. Experiment when you come to change and find one that suits you. Conti Road Attacks in the absolutley vital C fitting for me. Transformed the bike.

Here's a pic

Hopefully this will work, my first attempt at downloading a picture. I did another 65 miles today with another 200 coming up tomorrow. So far it's ruddy great.

The only snag seems to be that the headlight appears to be a bit high. I've moved the adjuster through 90 degrees - We'll see if that cures it.

Hi Navy Boy,

Good to hear you're enjoying the RT, I'm now seriously thinking of changing my GT for an RT.

I've had a few problems with the cooling system on the GT which, to their credit, CW's are being great dealing with the problem. I'm about to take the bike in today for them to fit a new radiator during the next week sometime.

But, I'm thinking of changing to the RT as the weather protection is better and is a more relaxed ride and it's not not got a complicated cooling system! All this should make for a reliable, comfy bike for my commute to work as well as the amount of touring I do.

Would love to read your comments after a few miles but it does seem the bike really "suits you sir"!

Cheers

Mark

1200RT - Thoughts so far

Hi All

Well, done a few hundred miles on Herbie now and have formed a few impressions which I thought I'd share.

Positives

1. The chassis/handling is really spot-on. Whilst the 1150 was V good I'd say the 20 Kg less do make themselves felt. The bike feels light on its toes and turns sweetly too.

2. The engine, whilst still a bit vibey above 4-4.5K (I've not really been much above this mark yet), is punchy and seems to rev just a little more quickly than the 1150 unit.

3. The gearing is definitely an improvement on the 1150 - Well in RT guise at any rate. Whilst I apprecaited the lengthy top gear on the 1150 I always thought the gap between 5th and 6th was too great. On the 1200 the ratios are closer and the 6th is a little shorter, giving me about 4300Rpm at 80 as opposed to 4000Rpm on the 1150.

4. The ESA is a cracking idea and makes a noticeable difference too. I've yet to try it with Mrs B on the back but it certainly seems worthwhile thus far.

5. The cruise control - What did I do without it? Particularly on the 50 Mph section of the M27!

Negatives

1. Toolkit - Well documented but stingy all the same.

2. Why did they do away with the 1150's old twin horn set-up? I'm now back to a piddly single disc-type again! Surely it can't have cost that much can it?

All in all though I'm a very happy bunny.

I promise I'll get some pics up once I've managed to sort out how...

NB :beerjug:

Glad you are enjoying sir,

I think i would have said the same things about the bike,:)

Hi All

Well, done a few hundred miles on Herbie now and have formed a few impressions which I thought I'd share.

Positives

1. The chassis/handling is really spot-on. Whilst the 1150 was V good I'd say the 20 Kg less do make themselves felt. The bike feels light on its toes and turns sweetly too.

2. The engine, whilst still a bit vibey above 4-4.5K (I've not really been much above this mark yet), is punchy and seems to rev just a little more quickly than the 1150 unit.

3. The gearing is definitely an improvement on the 1150 - Well in RT guise at any rate. Whilst I apprecaited the lengthy top gear on the 1150 I always thought the gap between 5th and 6th was too great. On the 1200 the ratios are closer and the 6th is a little shorter, giving me about 4300Rpm at 80 as opposed to 4000Rpm on the 1150.

4. The ESA is a cracking idea and makes a noticeable difference too. I've yet to try it with Mrs B on the back but it certainly seems worthwhile thus far.

5. The cruise control - What did I do without it? Particularly on the 50 Mph section of the M27!

Negatives

1. Toolkit - Well documented but stingy all the same.

2. Why did they do away with the 1150's old twin horn set-up? I'm now back to a piddly single disc-type again! Surely it can't have cost that much can it?

All in all though I'm a very happy bunny.

I promise I'll get some pics up once I've managed to sort out how...

NB :beerjug:

2005 Model had twin horn setup ...

Great bike. Mine's going in June; I've got to get a GSA out of my system. I have a horrible feeling I'm going to regret it especially the heated seats and screen and handling and engine and.........

Anyway, top tip - the bike is sensitive to tyres. Experiment when you come to change and find one that suits you. Conti Road Attacks in the absolutley vital C fitting for me. Transformed the bike.

Done the same 2 months ago ( went for a 1200GSA ) it had every option in the book and more, BIG MISTAKE ... I am looking now for a RT (It would be my 3rd one ).

Thanks for the replies guys.

Zoltan - That's an expensive mistake! :blast

They're paying you far too much old chap.....how many bikes in the stable now???

Doesn't Nippy do aftermarket stebel nautilus horns? Is there a twin setup available?

Enjoy the new steed Lee, see you in a couple of years.:thumb

Back
Top Bottom