Laminar Lip on an 12GSA (08) first impressions

i'm 5' 10" and fitted laminar lip in more or less, the lowest position possible on my 12GSA last week.

the good news:
significant improvement in airflow. quieter and more comfortable for the rider.

the bad news:
interferes with vision to the extent that i will be removing it at the earliest opportunity.
ok on motorway etc. but in situations such as close traffic and fine manoeuvring, the effect on judgement of looking through what is effectively 3 different grades of screen (lip. lip + screen. screen), is very pronounced.

i also find that changes such as carrying a passenger or filling the tank affect the height of the screen in my vision. a passenger raising it up, fuelling dropping it back to an acceptable level.
recent experience suggests that riding briskly down dorset back lanes in the dark looking through the lip is not to be recommended.

taller riders may not encounter the same problems as me, but i have short legs and a long body, so i'd say you'd need to be 6 foot plus at least. of course, others may cope better looking through the thing :nenau

Had a laminar lip fitted now for 2 months on my 12GSA. I'm 6ft and have found the combination of tobinators and the lip allows nice 85+ cruising with minor rustling (can't call it buffeting) and total silence in a still pool of air if I dip my head a little.Bliss compared to stock.

But

It does move around a fair bit in windy weather and I can see how this could get annoying , I'm ok with it ,just.

When it rains any droplets stay on your visor , gloves have a wiper thingy so thats ok.

However coming home tonight in the big storm north of london in the dark I , for the first time I can remember , pulled off the motorway while filtering thru stationary traffic because , as cookie mentions , you can't see jack all when trying to doing 'close' moves. Its tricky in daylight but with f all visibility its nasty.

Thats the main drawback for me, otherwise a joy and so far pro's outweigh the cons.

stu

I've got a standard GS ('08) with the standard screen. Tried the Givi screen - heavy buffet at certain speeds - too hot in the summer (not enough airflow).
Finally settled for Tobinators. Apparently they work best on the 1150 but I can report that they have 95% solved buffet and noise problems on my bike. (I am 5'9'' - standard seat fitted to GS). The good thing about the Tobinators is that they do not raise the screen up to your eye line.

I've just discovered another small advantage to the lip - when laying the bike on its side (because it needs a rest) and the brick wall of one's garage is in the way, the screen begins to scrape said brick wall. Upon correcting the bike's almost horizontal positioning I discover that the lip has a few scrapes along it's edge where the original screen does not, thereby concluding that the lip has saved my main screen from minor damage.

So I am happy, not! :blast

I made two, I get no buffeting, can have the visor up at motorway speeds, insects are reduced and I hardly ever have to clean my visor while riding.
give it a go you would be surprised what works.

Attachments

• sideon.jpg
    sideon.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 287
My 'lip' fell off the bike yesterday :mad: seems the extreme cold has frozen the glue and all four pads came unstuck, luckily I was washing the salt off the bike so it was stationary.

Check your pads !

My 'lip' fell off the bike yesterday :mad: seems the extreme cold has frozen the glue and all four pads came unstuck, luckily I was washing the salt off the bike so it was stationary.

Check your pads !
Back in 2003 I fitted a laminar lip to my 1100RT's screen. It said it the instructions the 3M Dual Lock sticky pads must be stuck on at not less than 70f/21c or they don't stick properly... mine were stuck on in a warm room and stuck like sh1t to a blanket, was a devil of a job to get them off!

And the less said about the Laminar Lip on the 1100RT the better LOL!
http://ebbo.org/r1100rt _laminar_lip.php

It was stuck on in warm weather back in May and has been on ever since, but for some reason decided to come unstuck at the weekend !! :nenau

Back in 2003 I fitted a laminar lip to my 1100RT's screen. It said it the instructions the 3M Dual Lock sticky pads must be stuck on at not less than 70f/21c or they don't stick properly... mine were stuck on in a warm room and stuck like sh1t to a blanket, was a devil of a job to get them off!

And the less said about the Laminar Lip on the 1100RT the better LOL!
http://ebbo.org/r1100rt _laminar_lip.php

wonder if this laminar lip thingy would be any good on a gs800 with an 800 touring screen already fitted, any help on this one appreciated cheers!

Back
Top Bottom