Derwent Today Sunday

Jimb

Went up to Derwent today with my missus in the van, there were loads of Off Roaders out all enjoying the cold & wet, didn't seem to bother 'em though.

Iv'e been thinking of treating myself to an Off Roader so I can learn how to ride with a light weight bike before trying the GS, had a chat with some lads while we were walking, there was a group who had Honda's, KTM's, Yam's, CCm's and Suzuki's and they all said get either a Suzuki DRZ 400 or a Honda XR 400 as a first bike, the Honda is kickstart though not electric.

Anyone have any experience in this area ???

Hi Jim,
I've always had Honda XR's (had a DR350 10 yrs ago) and prefer the 250 over the 400,having owned 1 - 400 to 4 - 250's and never had a problem starting either 400 or 250 manually.
DRZ400's are supposed to be good although i've never tried one.
Honda build quality and residuals are good.
My current 2000 model Honda has only been out once this year.........about 8 mths ago.
I saw plenty of off-roaders in the Dales today whilst out walking...........still tomorrow's another day and I might drag it out one of these days from under the sheet in the garage.

A suitably seasonal pic from 3 - 4 yrs ago...........all XR's

Attachments

• trailriding - rudland rigg - nymoors1.jpg
    trailriding - rudland rigg - nymoors1.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 116
Off road around Derwent

.[New member..1st post ]
Hi Jim, I can also recommend the XR 250...light ,reliable,good all round first bike...mine was a jap import with electric start..dont go for a kick start as you'll stall it lots at first if you go out on the peak lanes ...lots of sticky mud this time of year....If you get offered a blue and white one let me know as I've just had mine nicked!! ......................... See you at a meet soon ? I'm picking up my GS this weekend.
:goof :monkeypiz:pissl

Thanks Guys

many thanks, it seems the Honda's are tough as old boots but the lack of electric start is a problem.

Back
Top Bottom