GSmonkey

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
800GS Data:

Fuel consumption 90 km/h l/100 km 3.8
Fuel consumption 56 mph = 74.3 mpg

Fuel consumption 120 km/h l/100 km 5.2
Fuel consumption 75 mph = 54.3 mph

16ltr tank = 300km (180m) to 420km (250m) tank range.

1200GS:

Fuel consumption 90 km/h l/100 km 4.3
Fuel consumption 56 mph = 65.6 mpg

Fuel consumption 120 km/h l/100 km 5.5
Fuel consumption 75 mph = 51.3 mpg

20ltr tank = 360km (216m) to 460km (275m) tank range

1200GSA:

Fuel consumption 90 km/h l/100 km 4.6
Fuel consumption 56 mpg = 61.3 mpg

Fuel consumption 120 km/h l/100 km 6.1
Fuel consumption 75 mph = 46.3 mpg

33ltr tank = 540km (325m) to 715km (430m) tank range

The TT guy who got the pre-production 800 to ride through Africa stated he was averaging 4.5 lts to 100 kms even with the type of riding they were doing (presumably mostly off road).

Whatever that works out at. :blast

Octanes option....

Hi Gents,
I have just learnt there's an optional "91 octane" configuration (available through some kinda re-mapping) for the 800GS, which I was thinking it'll be my choice when the time comes... :D

I assume this would better suit crappy fuel, even though (according to official data) loss of power vs. the "standard" 95 octane engine should run around 2-3 Hp's (not that matters to me.... ;) )

Does any of you know more about it?
What are the pro's and con's of making this choice?

Thanks
:beerjug:

This always comes up as a regular "query" engine magment sustem will compensta for poor octian ratings, any one who has been far afielsd will know this. In the states petorl is usually lower than here, I've run
my gs on 81 octain before now, the only noticable difference being a slight reduction in power out put, now done 74000 miles with no breakdowns (apart from me falling off!). Through many different countries, the super reffered to in the manual is 95 octain which is standard through out the eu. (and 92 pence a litre in Argentina) So, don't worry and fuss, get out there and ride the thing.

Automatic Knock control, i think it just lengthens the period of injection, i would think you would loose some fuel economy. Probably by a tiny amount and not worth worrying over.

Tim

Hi Gents,
I have just learnt there's an optional "91 octane" configuration (available through some kinda re-mapping) for the 800GS, which I was thinking it'll be my choice when the time comes...

May save you some pannies in Europe where they have 91 octane unleaded, 95 octane super unleaded and 97 octance super plus unleaded. For UK we only have 95 and 97 so we call the 95 unleaded and 97 super.

Knew someone who ran their Subaru on 97 Super for 3 years 'cos they didn't know UK "95 unleaded" was the same as the japanese "95 super unleaded"

I spoke to bm personel at nec show before ordering new bike and was told,as 1150gsyouth has said,that the bike will run on lower octane fuel automatically but lose 2 or 3 bhp.The electronics recognise the change and change the timing to cope.

I'm still running in but when I came back down the dual carriageway the onboard computer was hovering around the 60mph mark. I was mainly watching the revs to keep it under 5000rpm but I think this was about 75mph. Should see a bit over 200 miles before hitting reserve if this was correct but obvioulsy YMMV ;)

F800GS Fuel Question...

Hi Everyone, new guy here... I'm taking delivery of my 800GS on Friday (28th)!

I've asked my dealer about this fuel question but he dosen't seem able to give me an answer. All he could offer was; "When we were testing the bikes in Portugal guys were putting in both super & normal unleaded with no noticeable performance difference."

But i'm not really satisfied with that.... I wonder what fuel other riders are putting into their new pride & joys, & has anyone else come across this fuel map option?

Here's the quote that's got me thinking:

"If required, the F 800 GS can also be equipped for use with normal petrol, which, however, reduces the peak performance by 1.5 kW/2 HP and slightly increases fuel consumption. This modification is carried out by selecting a characteristic map in the control software, and can be cancelled again at any time. The F 650 GS is designed for operation with lead-free normal petrol."

http://www.rubbermag.com/news/0711/071106_06.html

& what does 'normal petrol' mean? & as opposed to what exactly?

Any enlightenment greatly appreciated.

Fuel questions

Hi folks
I'm in the middle of purchasing an 800 GS. I was curious about the fuel options so I asked BMW Canada. The response was that the bike calls for super unleaded (91 octane) but can run on regular (87 octane). But to do this the dealer has to retard the timing with their diagnostic computer. So, rather than being able to use either type of gas you have to choose up front and get the dealer to alter your onboard CPU accordingly. You can change it back to the factory setting but each change required a trip to the dealer and a date with their computers.

While not a deal breaker for me it was a drag to find that out. I was hoping the knock sensor would pick up the different fuel type and retard the timing automatically.

The switch over to burning regular gas also comes with a 3-4 HP penality

I am getting 200 miles per tank on my f 800 GS on mixed roads but mainly country lanes.

Any ideas?

A few sites quote 'below 5 l/100km' (which is 47 mpg in the money I understand)...

Thats not correct .... maybe using US gallons, but not our gallons.

5 l/100km = 20km/litre ... = 91km/gallon ... = 56.5 mpg

1 gallon is 4.54 litres and 1 mile is 1.609 km

For reference, that means the 3.8l / 100km BMW quoted efficiency at 90km/h is equivalent to 74.3 mpg in the pre Napoleonic measurements.

215 with maybe 9 left.
Riding mainly fast a and b roads.

No chance of a bigger tank on the 800GS because it fits under the seat and between the frame.

I really really can't understand why all the fuss about a bigger tank on the F800GS for heavens sake.... we rode throught he bloody Gobi desert on F650GS's and never had the red light come on :eek:

We carried spare petrol but it was only used for the cooker :thumb

That echos my experience crossing the gobi on carburettored Honda Transalps ... only had a 17 litre tanks, but carried 5 litres spare each ... never used it for anything but making the sheep dung flammable.

:thumb2

No idea about the effects of temperature but I had my first service today. On the way to the dealer I went into reserve! My light does work....when there's 2.5 L of petrol left! Told the dealer about it and apparently there's a software fix ( surprise!) unfortunately they don't have it yet so it will have to wait till next time I go over there, at leastI know where I stand now.

I've run the tank dry twice on my F800GS with the pupose to find out it's actual range:

- Tank capacity is 16.7 litres.

- Fuel consumption 4.5 - 4.6 litres/100 km.

- Range around 370 km.

Mines a 650 & averages 61 mpg! That's on 1600 miles of mostly glorious Welsh A & B roads.

Back
Top Bottom