Exporting a BMW bike to Germany

paul08

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I am considering moving to Germany and taking my R850R over with me.

Anyone exported a bike to Germany?

Is it an easy process?

Any do's and don'ts?

All help gratefully received.

Hi there
Where are you thinking of moving to?
Not 100% sure of the requirements ref bringing your bike, although it is a simple process for us in the military. You will need to get a TUV test which is the German version of an MOT. Not too sure what else you would need to do though:confused:

Good luck
SF

Certifcate of Conformity

You'll need to get the above from BMW UK (01344 426565) if you're planning to re-register the bike on to German Reg Plates, you may also need to change the headlamp for a continental version as it's unlikely to pass the TUV with a UK lamp and black tape!

Other than that remind them it was built up the road in Berlin:D

I haven't got the answer I'm afraid but having recently moved to France found that exporting bikes here can be a very tortuous experience.
I bought a Hornet and an F650 with me but don't think I'd repeat the process.
Lots of rules here that you may not expect.
For example grey imports to the UK would be impossible to register in France and over 100 bhp is very, very difficult and very, very expensive.
Try some googling and have a search for Anglo German forums as if they exist they could be very useful.
But check it all out before you make the move otherwise you could end up regretting the whole exercise.
Good luck.

taking a BMW to Germany....Isn't that a bit like taking sand to the beach? ;)

not sure if it would work this way but the bikes themselves are cheap in DE... would it be worth selling it at home and taking the opportunity to upgade a wee bit with the profit? But then again if you've an attachment to that one.....

paul, a freind of mine took a morris minor to Germany a few years ago, converting to German plates requires a TUV test as stated by others, if the bikes are new it is relatively easy although, basically they want you to convert your bike to the german equivilent model. It is time consuming and can be frustrating. Took my freind nine month for the moggy, but that entailed saftey belts and some other things that weren't standard.

Better at least check if its not cheaper simply to sell up and buy again in Germany.

As the others have already stated, the bike will need to pass the TÜV test. To get through the test, the headlamp must be converted from RHD to LHD (I don't know whether the R850R is the same as the 1150GS, which could be coerted very easily by a dealer withour changing the whole headlamp assy.) and the speedo should be in km/h. The bike MUST be in original condition. If you have a non-BMW screen or an aftermarket exhaust, it will fail!!! Every accessory that is permanently fitted to the bike in Germany must have a so-called ABE (General permission for use), or alternatively, if TÜV approved, needs a separate conformity certificate.

Other than that, you will need a general Certificate of Conformity for the bike as mentioned by Bahnstormer and the original logbook.

You'll need a TUV, a C.O.C - i imported my Ital. GS and it passed the TUV with the Remus,no cat and baffle removed :augie

Kept the Remus docs which stated that the can is road legal and it worked. :thumb2

Not a diff process tbh

Well, I have done it and it was relatively easy.

a) You need the Certificate of Conformity from BMW (preferably a german language one to help the guys at the TuV

b) Did not need to convert the speedo as it has both mph and kph as standard

c) Got a new lense for the headlamp to convert to dipping to the right. Cost = 40 euro

d) Then off to the TuV for the inspection. They check the Certificate of Conformity and really give the bike a going over. Cost = 60 euro

e) Only problem I had was that I had had the tyres changed and they were not overly happy at the choice! According to their info from BMW, the tyre ratings were incorrect (I had the UK garage to thank for that!) But he let me off with a promise to correct it when the tyres need changing next

f) I can now go to the local administration to register the bike

This is brilliant! Almost 10 years after the original post I come up with the same question.

The process seems straightforward. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Just to clarify:
1.is the certificate of conformity issued for each individual bike, or is it document covering particular model of bike?
2.does is have to come from Bmw Uk or can I get it once in Germany? I happen to be moving to Munich.

Vaclav

To answer your questions:

Whilst the 'EU- Certificate of Conformity' at first glance looks like a model-specific document, closer inspection shows that it contains the VIN number of the specific bike/vehicle.

If you bought a bike new in the UK, I would have expected the dealer to have handed over the CoC in the documentation. If you have not got one, then I would suggest contacting BMW Motorrad in the UK (or your dealer) and ask them for the CoC.

You may be able to get the document once you are in Germany, from the local BMW Motorrad dealer there, but its probably easier to deal with it before you go.

Back
Top Bottom