streetpilot 3 info

Great Kit

Wot Greg said, superb bit of kit, had 4 or 5 gps's from the very basic to my present Navigator. Paid some £1200 for mine but don't mind has I have used it all over europe while people have been waiting for the price to fall. Your choice but the old choice then comes into force " why pay £500 for a SPIII when for a bit more I could get a 2610 " back to decisions again. Each unit will be superseded so you have to make your mind up sometime if you really want one. Best way to learn about the unit is to use it. Siting reading the book is good for the basics but there is no substitute for getting out and using it. Yes it makes mistakes now and again but it is by using it that you get to recognise these. Last time it made a mistake was going to the hog roast, Betty said take the fourth exit, not good, I was approaching on the forth exit however, a quick look at the display showed the track exiting on the second exit which was also signposted Andover so good as they are they are not without minor glitches. I do tend to load as many maps as possible but just turn the maps off that I am not using and this increases the redraw speed but gives you the flexibility to move further afield should you want to.

motomartin said:
Found out how to find addresses, also found out how to convert postcodes into waypoints via easy gps and transfer them to sp3.
created the waypoint, then routed to it from HOME - created earlier.
Made the route and saved it.
Phil

I'm not entirely sure what you did here - but this is what I'd have done.

1. Turn on SP III
  2. Stand outside front door
  3. Press and hold 'Enter' button, thus creating a numbered waypoint of your front door's location
  4. Edit waypoint title to 'HOME'
  5. Dial in address (number, street, town, partial postcode) of where you want to go
  6. When found, enter 'Route to it'
  7. Follow directions given
  8. To return home, enter 'Find; Waypoint; Home'
  9. Enter 'Route to it'
  10. Follow directions
  11. Arrive home
  12. Open bottle of wine
  13. Relax
    [/list=1]

:)

Greg

motomartin said:
chilling out now - found out some more things that work.

downloaded mapsource 5.4 - which seems better.

Have downloaded the updated software for the unit itself ????
latest ver is 2.5, also the english voice is updated from the original. and the usb driver for the mem card is updated as well
Enjoy
John

A tip I found was that when using the SP3 on routes of over approx 50 miles the calculation time was too long. This caused loads of time standing by the bike in the morning recalculating the route with 'via' points to force the unit to use the specific roads that I wanted.
To overcome this I now create waypoints approx 30 miles apart following the route that I wish to ride, and place a list of these in the map pocket of the tankbag. This enables me to quickly use the find waypoint function and then route to it, which gives a quick route calculation. Then when I am approx 5 miles from the waypoint select the next one in the list and route to that. This can easily be performed at a road junction stop or traffic lights.

This method saves the time wasted in the mornings waiting up to 7~10 mins for the SP3 to calculate a 250 mile route, which normally is not using the roads that you want, so adding a via point and wait another period for it to recalculate etc...
Another advantage is when missing a turning you can recalculate on the move rather than having to stop and wait for the recalculate.

Cecil - why not just create a route on your computer and load it into the SP? Seems a lot of fuss to achieve the same thing.....

Mike:confused:

Mike, Yes I agree, but sometimes you may choose to go a different way in the bar the night before, and I dont normally take my laptop with me. It also means that if you deviate from the original route you will still need to sit at the edge of the road for 10 mins while the SP3 recalculates.

It works for me

Simon

cecilthecat said:
Mike, Yes I agree, but sometimes you may choose to go a different way in the bar the night before, and I dont normally take my laptop with me. It also means that if you deviate from the original route you will still need to sit at the edge of the road for 10 mins while the SP3 recalculates.

It works for me

Simon

Understood Simon (I almost always have my laptop in the pannier). Not wishing to teach you anything about ovoid suction, Gran, you are aware that you can de-select 'auto-recalculation when off route', aren't you - it makes a huge difference....

Mike:)

Mike

I have set the unit to prompt for recalculation, but even with this set and you deviate from the route either because you see a nice looking road or miss a turn, you will still need to recalculate for the new road. When the route is over about 50 odd miles then this becomes a long time sitting on the side of the road, or riding without the navigation.

I tried this method on the way back from Princetown and found it much less frustrating then using a one piece 300 mile route.

Try it out and see what I mean, it sounds complicated but I got so frustrated looking at the SP3 showing the wiggly calculating route icon that I now use this method.

Simon

cecilthecat said:

I have set the unit to prompt for recalculation, but even with this set and you deviate from the route either because you see a nice looking road or miss a turn, you will still need to recalculate for the new road. When the route is over about 50 odd miles then this becomes a long time sitting on the side of the road, or riding without the navigation.

No worries Simon - I just wasn't sure you knew the auto-recalculate function could be de-selected - it drove me mad until I found that option :D I tend to either follow routes I've planned on the laptop with the aid of OS maps or just use the GPS as a 'get me home from here' tool when I've been following the front wheel down interesting looking roads...

motomartin said:
Hi avid readers.

The goddam thing got us there without any arguments !!!
We were both fairly impressed, have to say.
However, its not really quick enough for London Driving.
By that , i mean it seemed about 100ft behind were we actually were, which, when you're doing quite a few turns means you miss a couple.

Ideally for use in a car you need an external aerial, the windscreen can affect the signal which would account for the 100ft lag.......

Clive........

pegasus said:
Ideally for use in a car you need an external aerial....
Clive........

Not necessarily the case.

Some cars (SWMBO's Peugeot 206 for example) have a heat-reflecting screen which has a layer through which radio signals used by GPS don't easily pass. On these cars there is usually a patch on the screen near the rear-view mirror where a remote (not external) aerial will work.

On my car (a Vauxhall Vectra), the GPS works through the screen.

You can check the received signal strength by pressing Menu; Menu; and Enter (on GPS Info). I can't think of any circumstance in which you would get a delay of more than 1 second.

Greg

I believe solar glass has an aluminium content and will impede mobiles and gps alike extenal aerial missus??

you will probably get the same if you have a front heated screen like in a focus /mondildo:D :eek:

isn't the new SP2610 waterproof? and touchscreen? Am i wrong to think this is the SPIII replacement? The SPIII is removable and the SP2610 is fixed?

new garmin

The new bmw navigator II is out soon which isnt touch screen but is faster and improved over the spIII(navigator)dont know if any body knew that.Looks to me its only being sold as the navigator II for bmw.

Re: new garmin

snave1 said:
The new bmw navigator II is out soon which isnt touch screen but is faster and improved over the spIII(navigator)dont know if any body knew that.Looks to me its only being sold as the navigator II for bmw.

Have a look here.

My understanding is that the Navigator II is a SP2610 (including touch screen) but also has an additional plug-in button module.

Best guess is that this module will also work on a SP2610 (if you can buy them separately).

navigator II

Yea i think youre right,the write up i read gave me the impression it was inbetween the SPIII and 2610.Looking close at the photo reveals all.It certainly appears to be the 2601

Lyndon

The front screen on my Citroen C3 is also heat reflecting, which causes a los of signal.
As soon as I stop the car, take the unit out of the vehicle it re-aquires the satalite signals, though can be a bit slow at times. on the bike it's as quick as anything.
Looks like I will have to buy an optional external aerial from Garmin.
BTW, how do cars with GPS built into the dash get the signal to the unit? is the radio aerial used?

AR

Back
Top Bottom