Black System Panniers

It is best to strive for as-near-a-new-look as possible

Panniers012-1.jpg

Panniers013-1.jpg

Then it's out with the Acetone :green gri:eek::green gri to make sure the surface is clean and grease free so the vinyl will bind properly

Panniers016-2.jpg

Panniers018-1.jpg

Next you need to cut a 1100mm length of the vinyl.

Panniers019-1.jpg

And then trim the width to 275mm. The hard size is 272mm but you will see why in a bit :thumb

Panniers020.jpg

it is important to make this cut as straight and continuous as possible. Measure 275mm from the factory cut edge at several points along the length of vinyl and then join up the dots with a pen and ruler.

Panniers021.jpg

Carefully, using a very sharp knife, cut the excess off and keep the bit that you cut off - it will come in handy later

Panniers022-1.jpg

Prepare your washing up liquid with a wee drop of water mixed in

Panniers023.jpg

Then start coating the area you are going to cover. I started at the opposite end to the mounting lock on the side of the pannier. You can do one section at a time (so it doesn't dry out). Make sure you cover the steel brackets and plastic corner pieces with soloution because the vinyl will stick to them :eek:

Then peel back about 6" of the backing paper and line the vinyl up with the top edge (the pannier lid seal) and plunge on in there ;)

Panniers025-1.jpg

Using your card smooth away from the steel brackets, keeping the factory cut edge tight up to the lid seal

Panniers026.jpg

Keep working your way round and it quite quickly takes shape

Panniers027-1.jpg

Use the card to push the vinyl up the edge of the corner pieces, lay it flat on the pannier and trim away

Panniers031-1.jpg

Smooth away from the lid seal down the pannier not forgetting to add soloution along the way

Panniers029.jpg

You will reach the other side. Trim round the brackets as before

Panniers033.jpg

Panniers035.jpg

Smooth the vinyl to the leading edge of the mounting lock and trim, moving round the sides

Panniers034.jpg

Panniers036-1.jpg

Suddenly, you're there

Panniers037.jpg

Trim round all the bits that need to be trimmed, tidying up

Panniers044-1.jpg

The extra couple of mm that you over sized (on the 275mm) will neatly fold over the already covered base section

Panniers043-1.jpg

Panniers042.jpg

And voila you have your black (or whatever colour you choose) panniers.

You will need to leave them for a while to let the soloution dry out and the adhesive to adhere. Don't bother about the rivets and the holes for the lid locks the now.. you'll have to leave things to dry out a bit and adhere. To be continued...

Panniers038-1.jpg

Panniers039-1.jpg

And yes, I know the washing up needs to be done :(

I'd better get on with that now :blast :handbag :handbag :thedummy

So you should have the second pannier and topbox done by...........September ?

GOTC :aidan

It's half-term the now and I can't get any peace to do anything :(

A shopping trip provided me with the "space" to get on with this :augie

what about the wee bubbles i see on them?

The bubbles die down after a few hours as the WUL dries out and the adhesive binds. The larger bubbles can be pricked with a fine needle and the air teased out. You have to wait for the glue to get a chance to bind as it wont when the surface is still wet.

I did say "to be continued" :augie

a hairdryer will help puttin the vinyl on.:thumb2,less bubbles
just a small point though,
its a technical thread, you are in Yorkshire,
wheres the standard garage equipment??ie, dresses , wigs, whisky etc??
im confused, i thought every body wore a frock in the garage,??
ugg said they did:D

wheres the standard garage equipment??ie, dresses , wigs, whisky etc??
im confused, i thought every body wore a frock in the garage,??

That's all in the grand finale :ymca

Patience dear boy, I know you're a feisty youngster, full of beans, dying to see grown men in dresses... patience ;)

Back
Top Bottom