EEE PC 900 Portable Solid State Laptop

I can install Mapsource, new download off Garmin website. But how do i install CN08 maps without a dvd reader?

:nenau

I can install Mapsource, new download off Garmin website. But how do i install CN08 maps without a dvd reader?

:nenau

Network both computers by setiing up a home network with file sharing enabled, make the CD/DVD drive on your equipped computer shareable (right click then share), whack the Mapsource DVD in the drawer, browse to it in My Network Places then run it :thumb

Network both computers by setiing up a home network with file sharing enabled, make the CD/DVD drive on your equipped computer shareable (right click then share), whack the Mapsource DVD in the drawer, browse to it in My Network Places then run it :thumb

Set up a home network :eek: Thats opening a whole new basket of worms??? :(

Set up a home network :eek: Thats opening a whole new basket of worms??? :(

Its easy enough for a technically capable chap like yourself, or one of the boys could wade in. Failing that borrow someone's external DVD drive :D

Steppers will have to be shown soon too then he can post it up with pics with dirty fingers in the computer help section ;)

Guys I'm a little ignorant on these subjects so please bear with me. Reason for asking is I am about to buy one of these little devices, have been looking at the Dell mini 9....
How do you load the map source data onto the netbook without a disc drive? Or is it a case of downloading from Garmin website?

Thanks for your understanding and I look forward to the relpies.

Archie

How do you load the map source data onto the netbook without a disc drive? Or is it a case of downloading from Garmin website?

You can always get an external USB DVD drive. Here's one but there are cheaper models

John

Thanks for the enlightenment Redboots, I don't keep up to speed on these things until I need something.

Regards

Archie

Excellent Santrix I was thinking of one of those wee fella's:thumb

You can always get an external USB DVD drive. Here's one but there are cheaper models

John
If the thread is still about Eees, be warned that the low-power Eee may not be able to drive one of these through its USB ports. The Samsung might but, again, I'm not sure. You may be better of going for a mains-powered version.

So all in all

the best one to go for would be the 20gig asus 900 eeeeepc running linux, i think??? or do you know different?????
whats the best price found so far?
regards PAul

ps just tried that ccleaner, marvelous job, ill send em some money i think, sped up my machine no probs, she flies again.

the best one to go for would be the 20gig asus 900 eeeeepc running linux, i think??? or do you know different?????
whats the best price found so far?
regards PAul

ps just tried that ccleaner, marvelous job, ill send em some money i think, sped up my machine no probs, she flies again.
Not unless you can get a really good price. The 901 is on the sweet spot, as it has a better processor (Atom) and much better battery. It's slightly faster than the Samsung NC10 (but not so you'd notice) and has slightly better battery life (both are remarkable - 7+ hours) but has only a 20GB SSD rather than the NC10's 160GB HDD. Get the 901 with XP and you only get a 12GB SSD to offset the cost of the XP licence.

I have the 900 running Ubuntu 8.10 and it's excellent but the 901 is the one I'd buy today.

but has only a 20GB SSD rather than the NC10's 160GB HDD. Get the 901 with XP and you only get a 12GB SSD to offset the cost of the XP licence.

Now, ya see I don't understand that argument. The original post was about a netbook for travelling:)
If you want to install bloated apps like MSOffice and Photoshop or Mapsource plus Maps, install them to separate SD cards and run them from that. Get a lot on a 4 or 8gb card. You keep them safe in something like this

If its Unix you want, you can run DSL from a chip and it only takes 50MEG of it.
Or you can leave the default Linux on the EeePC and put-windows-on-sd-card-for-eee-pc

Endless posibilities:D

John

eeepc 901 20 gig

If you were to buy the 20 gig version of the 901 eeepc , how do you remove linux and install windows?
on all my machines i would load windows through a bootable cd drive, but as the eeeepc has only usb's, how would it go in?
I do have an external usb cd/dvd drive but i thought you would need the usb drivers within windows in order to make the cd drive work??
cheers Paul.

The eeeP will support a USB boot device so just bung a USB CD/Dvd drive in with a bootable XP disk and off you go. The Linux version of the eeeP (900) has two solid state disks, the smaller is 4Gb and is high speed access the larger will be either 12Gb or 16Gb and has a far slower access speed.

EDIT - I have to say the quickest way to run an eeeP (IMHO) is ditch Xandros and replace with eeeUbuntu and update then install WINE and your GPS apps as required - safer, cleaner and quicker.

did you see....

It would appear the charging voltage for the little gem is ..... 12 volts...woohoo, so you can charge the pc from yer bike, whilst the engine is off.
i wouldnt want to charge with the engine on as voltage can rise to 13-15 volts ..
It just gets better...
If they had put a slot in for a sim card so you can access the web via the mobile network it would have been the dogs rowlocks.
the more i look at the 901, the better it gets, im impressed..
also look athe previous post about installing a compact flash hard drive, in theory you could go to 100 gig!!!
http://www.digitalpixels.net/2008/0...eases-64-gig-and-100-gig-compact-flash-cards/
regards PAul

look at this... more hacks, what a tool..

http://asuseeehacks.blogspot.com/2008/04/neat-trick-for-charging-devices-through.html

brilliant idea, but the 901 has bluetooth already, yeeha.
:blast I live in a 900 only house so no such luxuries, the eeeP has to be the most hackable machine out. just punch eeeP into Youtube and stand back. On a down side you really need 3G and data is desperately expensive if travelling abroad, however Europeans seem to have embraced public wifi so you are never too far from t'webynet, unless you are in a desert. Come to think of it 3G is not so hot in deserts either....

THANKS

John

To all those enlightened bods on here, the information this thread provided was just what I needed and the follow up from John on how to worked well.

I nvested in a Samsung NC10 and an LG DVD writer from LG, can't believe just how good this wee machine is it does everything my larger laptops do and has equal to or more memory than 2 of those.

As you might expect this response is coming from the said machine and not too many problems with the size of the keyboard either and I do touch type as taught years ago.

Just like to say thanks again.

Archie
:eek:onyack

Back
Top Bottom