French Toll (Peage) roads

Nasty1

Reaction score
Does anybody know if it is possible to purchase a pre-paid ticket/pass for the French toll roads similar to the Swiss motorway vignette?

Cheers

Adie

Hi Adie,

As far as I know there is not - they have a system for cars (tele peage) with some sort of transponder in the windscreen which debits your credit card/ bank account. I would imagine this would be difficult to set up unless you have French card or bank account. I normally put the toll ticket and some small euro notes in my tankbag pocket to speed things up at the toll booth.

Cheers

Duncan

Yes, it is possible using a liber-t, but not worth the ag for a tourist.

Details here

Greg

Thank you for the info...its just we have a day-n-half to get from Calais to the Pyrenees so we feel the toll roads whilst very expensive are our best bet for good time. Just thought they may have done a tourist card for the flash and go at payment booths.

Thanks again

Adie

t-peage can be done using a UK account, no probs

Just spent 10 days touring in car. Not a massive amount of toll stuff but enough to make the electronic thingy worth it. You could see the locals thinking that the daft brits had gone in the wrong lane again and were quite surprised when the barrier magically lifts and off we shoot.

I have an english translation of the e-form on pdf if it helps. Its quite straightforwad but probably only worth doing if you intend to go back because there is a Euro 30 deposit for the electronic device. I think you can send the device back for a refund but then obviously there are postage costs.

Just spent 10 days touring in car. Not a massive amount of toll stuff but enough to make the electronic thingy worth it. You could see the locals thinking that the daft brits had gone in the wrong lane again and were quite surprised when the barrier magically lifts and off we shoot.

I have an english translation of the e-form on pdf if it helps. Its quite straightforwad but probably only worth doing if you intend to go back because there is a Euro 30 deposit for the electronic device. I think you can send the device back for a refund but then obviously there are postage costs.

The english translation would be cool as my french is to say the least rusty! If you don't mind then please send to nastydude at gmail.com. Thanks again.

Adie

The down side of the liber-t is that there isn't a version for bikes, just cars. So although could be a good idea if you're going to use peage a lot, you lose out on the discounted bike peage rates.

Pyrenees in a day and a half is easy on the Peages - It'll cost you about £15 and you can use your credit card (even for the Euro 1 sections) so it's not a lot of hassle.

Andres

Just be careful where you put your feet while paying! The ground is usually very slippery and it's incredibly embarrassing to drop your bike at the péage - DAMHIKT:eek:

Just be careful where you put your feet while paying! The ground is usually very slippery and it's incredibly embarrassing to drop your bike at the péage - DAMHIKT:eek:

Thanks for the heads up, I can't say I noticed how slippery the booths were when we ended up in one by accident on the way to Normandy but it it is something I'll watch out for as I do struggle a little reaching the ground :)
Sig2-1.jpg

This is fully loaded on my 640 ADV and it is lowered a little! I hate to admit it but as brilliant as the bike is I think it may have to go after the HUMM. I am getting a little fed up with struggling to touch the ground and getting on and off the bloody things :(

Cheers

Adie

Thank you for the info...its just we have a day-n-half to get from Calais to the Pyrenees so we feel the toll roads whilst very expensive are our best bet for good time. Just thought they may have done a tourist card for the flash and go at payment booths.

Thanks again

Adie

Just come back last month from doing that, whilst 2 days to get there is ok, we were very glad of 3 days to come back up.

I did Milan last month, and the problem with credit cards is the same as the telepass. You can't get the bike group rate. It was a signficant difference of about 15 euros between using a card and using cash to get bike rate.

They're not likely to do a bike rate telepass or everyone will get one, and there is no obvious button to get a bike rate, or it'd be open to abuse by car owners.

At least in Italy you can filter right up to the front of the cash lane and there's no massive objection.

Just come back last month from doing that, whilst 2 days to get there is ok, we were very glad of 3 days to come back up.

I very much agree as its a long way..I came back from Spain side of the pyrenees leaving on Monday and getting on the boat on Weds morning. It isnt much fun and very boring riding along the motorways I found.

Better off leaving a few days to get back and enjoy the other roads I think. Next time Im leaving from Plymouth (30 mins away) to Santander as its only 385 to my destination. :thumb2

I very much agree as its a long way..I came back from Spain side of the Pyrenees leaving on Monday and getting on the boat on Weds morning. It isn't much fun and very boring riding along the motorways I found.

Better off leaving a few days to get back and enjoy the other roads I think. Next time I'm leaving from Plymouth (30 mins away) to Santander as its only 385 to my destination. :thumb2

All very true and we were sort of aware of it, but IIRC the crossing is 2 day by ferry and what with holiday restriction etc it was awkward to do the short route. We should have more time coming home so can take the scenic route.

Adie

I did Milan last month, and the problem with credit cards is the same as the telepass. You can't get the bike group rate. It was a signficant difference of about 15 euros between using a card and using cash to get bike rate.

I'm guessing you mean by using your card in the auto tolls?

I just go to the manual ones and hand my card over, no typing in of PINs or signature needed and you get charged bike rate - or so I thought :confused:

Andres

The Tele Peage "badge" is only available with French Bank account and has an annual "admin" fee of 30€ and you still have to queue up at the manual toll booth as bies are cheaper than cars so unless you are feeling generous you can't ues the "express" lanes. When you use the liber T "badge", they take it from you and scan the barcode on the reverse.

Could we have a copy of your Englsih translation

Hi There,
If you still have a copy of the English translation would you be able to send us a copy as we go every year. I have looked at the French form but need help.
Our email is morleyfamily23@btinternet.com

Thank you x:

Back
Top Bottom