French Toll (Peage) roads

If travelling in a group, it works very well if one person pays for everybody- much quicker and makes more sense using a credit card (i.e. at the manual toll booths to get bike rate). You'll get waved through one at a time. We usually appoint a "peage bitch" the previous evening based on who's made the biggest prat of themselves that day and sort the money out later.

You can get the toll tag free of charge, no deposit/monthly charge from Alis.

However, with this deal you do need a French bank account that will automatically be debited for any toll charges you have incurred every month.

You can get the toll tag free of charge, no deposit/monthly charge from Alis.

However, with this deal you do need a French bank account that will automatically be debited for any toll charges you have incurred every month.

Fine if you are only using the A28?

I have a Liber t peage pass for my drive to and from the Alps, which I do at least once a season and lend it to mates when they want to drive. If you are going at a particularly busy time of year (Easter) it will save you a huge amount of time queuing at the toll booths.

Last year on Easter Saturday it saved me at least two hours on the outward journey as I drove past queues back onto the motorway at some junctions to use the exclusive toll lanes.

Even on the return journey when there was much less traffic, I sat at 80mph (cruise control) and watched the same (British) cars speed past me several times only to overtake them at the toll booths.

And it is linked to a British charge card (Caxton FX card) - a mate has his linked to his British bank account so that particular myth crushed.

Worth every penny.

Also remember if riding in a group that the toll booth needs to let each bike through individually and the barrier needs to go up and down for each bike. Nearly the funniest thing I have ever seen ....

They're not likely to do a bike rate telepass or everyone will get one, and there is no obvious button to get a bike rate, or it'd be open to abuse by car owners.

There is simply NO bike rate in Italy.
Telepass, Creditcard (fastpay), Viacard or Cash. :blast

Compared to France, the Telepass is enabled for motorbikes (I've done the early testings ages ago), and there is also a prepaid version of it. Not really sure if it's possible to buy it from abroad (you still have to pay the annual fee for the receiver and shit).

Small secret: the bar will open always as you drive in the telepass lane. Telepass or not. They will take a photo of the plate and hunt you down then. Easy to phone them up and pay but not recommended if you are driving with a foreing plate though.

At least in Italy you can filter right up to the front of the cash lane and there's no massive objection.

Totally.

They have a special liber-t system for tourists. Pay by CC - there is a monthly fee (€5 IIRC), but only for months when you use it.

They have a special liber-t system for tourists. Pay by CC - there is a monthly fee (€5 IIRC), but only for months when you use it.

Can you point me to the website for that, please.

I can find the regular tag (like ChasMill's) but not the month-by-month one for tourists.

Thanks,

Richard

I'm hoping to travel from Ancona after getting of the ferry to the UK and made a quick route using Google maps with omitting tolls and major highways. Eventually will incorporate it into the Garmin.

Not really worth it on a bike though, as you do have to go through the "toutes vehicles" lane, so can't benefit from the express lane (orange marked reserve telepeage). Most of the peage booths here have the automatic vehicle detectors in, so when you go through the booth it knows your on a motorbike and charges the appropriate rate.

Rob

I'm hoping to travel from Ancona after getting of the ferry to the UK and made a quick route using Google maps with omitting tolls and major highways. Eventually will incorporate it into the Garmin.

You get off a ferry to the UK and from there hope to travel from Ancona?

Has Ancona moved?

A most bizarre post if I ever I saw one. No doubt the Garmin will sort it out.

Can you point me to the website for that, please.

I can find the regular tag (like ChasMill's) but not the month-by-month one for tourists.

Thanks,

Richard
This is the one you want - they debit your card each month. €2/month, but you only pay that if you use the autoroute that month - tolls on top natch.

You can get the gizmo at almost any autoroute toll station and many service stations. They normally have leaflets in English so you can check its the one you want.

HTH

Stolzy, many thanks.

I didn't know there was a tourist version.

Excellent, it seems for the car.

I guess it's marginally more expensive but if it avoids or reduces the summer broil, it may be worth it.

This is the one you want - they debit your card each month. €2/month, but you only pay that if you use the autoroute that month - tolls on top natch.

You can get the gizmo at almost any autoroute toll station and many service stations. They normally have leaflets in English so you can check its the one you want.

HTH

I too only get the € charge when the badge is used.

Stolzy, many thanks.

I didn't know there was a tourist version.

Excellent, it seems for the car.

I guess it's marginally more expensive but if it avoids or reduces the summer broil, it may be worth it.

I guess it's a trade off between time and cost. Classe 1 is how much more expensive than Classe 5?

I'm hoping to travel from Ancona (after getting of the ferry) to the UK and made a quick route using Google maps with omitting tolls and major highways. Eventually will incorporate it into the Garmin.

You get off a ferry to the UK and from there hope to travel from Ancona?

Has Ancona moved?

A most bizarre post if I ever I saw one. No doubt the Garmin will sort it out.

Do the brackets help :nenau

Back
Top Bottom