The sorry saga of 1200GS/GSA fuel pump controller failures (410 so far)

Friday 14 August, fortunately 500 yards from home (but it was a long push!).
Bike just died on a corner. Fortunately not that much traffic around so was able to coast to a stop.
Knew what it must be immediately!
2008 GS, 4500 miles.
BMW Emergency Services came within the hour and replaced the FPC.

Thurs 13th! After a 900 mile trip and 30 miles from home, middle lane of the
A1, the bike just died.
2008 1200GSA 14 months old 6500 miles

Bmw assist came within the hour and fitted new FPC

Tony

Not a Gs but my R1200Rt SE.
- When did it happen ?: July 2008
-Where were You ?: On holiday in Cornwall
-Bike details (Model and Year): R1200RTSE 2007
-Remedy: BMW Assist called out and had replacement unit on van.
-How many days work/holiday did you lose: 2.5hrs
-Were there any incidental costs? No

- When did it happen ?: Oct 2007
-Where were You ?: On way to work
-Bike details (Model and Year): R1200GS 2006
-Remedy: BMW Assist called out and had replacement unit on van but replacement did not work either. Recovered to South London MC's who had a replacement that did work
-How many days work/holiday did you lose: half day lost pay:mad:

When ? today 18th August 09 had the bike serviced this morning !!
Where : on my drive
Inconvenience : not much
Fix : BMW assist out just now and going to get a spare from Williams Manchester.

Surprised : No also had the EWS fail this time last year

Pleased : No 9k piece of shite 2 breakdowns in 5,000 miles

FPC gone in no-mans-land!

When: Aug 2009
Where: Between border checkpoints in no man's land at Turkey/Greece border
Name: KazakDan
Bike: 06 GSA with 25000 miles
Remedy: fitted new unit purchased before the tour (speechless with gratitude at my own foresight- but imagine the problems if I had no spare...)
Note: controller unit was corroded but the connectors above and below were pristine.

That's an interesting place to breakdown!:hide

It's depressing to report that the rate of failures hasn't slowed, also that the failures apparently affect the latest version of the controller. BMW's seeming lack of interest in solving this issue is unimpressive.

Update on failure statistics (UK owners only) totalled by year of breakdown

2004: 7
2005: 17
2006: 33
2007: 58
2008: 132
2009: 87

Total: 334

If you have experienced a fuel pump controller, please download a VOSA Safety Defect Report form from here (right click and 'save target as') and email the completed form to me at tim dot cullis at infar dot co dot uk.

Cheers
Tim

Tim
Thanks for the welcome.
As suggested I have read through the thread. Hmm, surprised that BMW has agreed to look favourably on claims outside warranty, as on Saturday morning, Vines sold me a 'new' design FPC at the slightly reduced price of £60. Had asked what the position was on replacement and was told; "they were prepared to cost-share". Of course having now read the thread I will be talking to them about a refund.
The 2 weeks was not about parts availability, they had stock; it was the first date they would look at the bike. I had called Friday morning after the bike had briefly cut out, was told that they probably knew what the fault was with the FPC, but they were very busy and this was the first available appointment and just "take it easy" on the bike till then...considering what happened very poor advice, and I feel possibly even dangerous.
However, bike is running like a dream after I fitted the new unit.
George

And another one!

Second failure - 1st was January 2007.

Where at home
Inconveinience: had to take the train to work
Remedy, bypassed controller and collected a new one from Balderstone BMW
Bike: 04, 65,000 miles

"I used to be on that other list"

Mr G. Mitchell

When : 22nd Aug 2009.

Where : Campsite near Brackley, about 90 miles from home.

Bike : 1200GS, 2004, 33000 miles .

What Happened : Fuel pump controller failed. I had a bypass with me so no big deal. Purchased a new one and was told to keep the receipt as the new ones now carry a two year warranty. Don't know the part number as I fitted it at the dealers [left all the packing] Manufacture date 07/2009. stock code 16147720776

628055662_Pjswk-XL.jpg

As previously posted I suffered the failure in Italy this year, but I have read somewhere where one of the members has been badgering BMW over replacements, just had the bike serviced at Benhams in Wolverhampton and asked them to find out what is happening with the fuel pump controller........................................nothing, it is not on the recall list, so in other words tough, if you are out of warranty get £60.00 ready.

Teejay

- When? 4 August 2009
- Where? Goue, Mansle near Bordeaux off N10
- rider name - Mike
- bike details - R1200GS Adventure late 2006 (2007 specification), 19,000 miles on the clock.
- remedy - Failed fuel pump, rescued by Carole Nash European Recovery service a couple of hours later, fixed next day at Cognac BMW.
- How many days work/holiday did you lose? - 1 day during 3,600 mile tour
- Were there any incidental costs? - just over 200 Euros !!!:24 month warranty already expired 9 months ago. :mad:

I was lucky enough to have broken down at my cousin's farmhouse so enjoyed spending an extra night there and relaxing by her lovely swimming pool in the sweltering heat! After that I visited the Pyrenees, Provence, St Tropez, Verdon Gorges, French Alps, The Dolomites, Lake Constance, Brugge without any further hitch.

Couple more via my website...

[QUOTE = "Keith E 17Aug2009"]
Mine failed yesterday Sun 16 Aug 2009
bike is a 57 plate r1200rt
where lane 3 the M1 at 70mph with traffic behind me and in both lsft hand lanes.
Fixed at the roadside by BMW emergency services (I thought it was odd he just happened to have the part with him) so no cost other than a near death experiance.
Why havent BMW done a recal? my bike gave no hint of a problem untill it tryed to kill me. Not happy and not leaving it at this.
[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE = Steve H 30Aug2009]
Hi, just had a failure of my Fuel pump Controller Relay.
Bike is a K1200R sport, 2007 model
15 K kms on the clock
riding fairly quick around some mountain roads in the philippines. Engine suddenly missfired. Then engine stopped. Coasted to a Halt. tried starting the engine, ran for about 1 minute and stopped again. Started 1 more time and ran for 10 seconds. Never started again.
Waited by the side of the Road for 6 hrs for my wife to arrange a Truck at My home City and get it to me to pick me and the Bike up.
Delivered the bike to BMW in makati ( manila ). The Mechanics knew exactly what to go for, jumped the Relay out and bikle started first time.
Cheers..
Steve
[/QUOTE]

- When? 29/08/09
- Where? Newbury, Berkshire
- rider name - Oscar
- bike details - R1200GS Adventure April 2007 20,000 miles on the clock.
- remedy - Failed fuel pump controller, rescued by BMW assistance. Bank holiday weekend so no mechanic in my area. We were taken to my home by the recovery lorry. Next day BMW sent mechanic to my home. He did not have the part so he could not fix it. Following day another mechanic came to my home with the part so he fixed it in 5 minutes
- How many days work/holiday did you lose? - I used my car so no work days lost. Very estressfull situation as I am going on holidays with the bike on Thursday and I was not sure if it was going to be sorted.

Not good.

Oscar

May 2008 - 2 weeks prior to a 5 week Alp/Dolomite trip. Glad it happened when it did and not half way up Stelvio......
06 1200GS - 9000 on clocks at time
Edinburgh at a set of lights on really busy junction.

Rescued by BMW assist (was still under warranty) who luckily had one with him.

Reason was corrosion, new one apparantly will not have the same problem.

My electronic fuel pump controller failed while driving in the rain about 250 km from home. BMW road side assistance arranged for a truck to return the bike to the dealer in Calgary (Alberta, Canada). There were not fault indications on the instrument cluster and at the time I had no idea what was wrong (i.e. bad gasoline, faulty injectors, etc.).

I just got my bike back from the BMW Dealer after having the fuel pump controller replaced. The bike was down for 18 days. They did the work at BMW's cost, but it did not turn up on the list of "Technical Campaigns" for the bike (R1200GS, production date March 2008). There was a notice of a recall dated August 5th (NHTSA), but they blamed the o-ring seal.

I've ordered the electrical jumper cable from Burns, and hopefully it will arrive soon. Its good to have the bike back, but confidence is not high!

I also checked into getting a fuel pump controller as a spare. Other discussions mentioned the price of a new controller at about 65 Euros and $95 USD. At the one and only Calgary BMW dealer the quoted price was $216.81 CAD (0.90 CAD ~ 1.00 USD).

Question - could this part be ordered via www? (PN 16147720776)

BTW, I saw the old fuel pump elecronic controller they took out and it looked great. Not dirty, no corrosion, the plastic cover (epoxy) was intact with no cracks, the connectors looked good (shiney contacts), and the turquois o-ring looked and felt good without cracks. It was "to be returned to BMW".

Jim

Tim said:
Thanks for the report, I won't add it to the UK figures but it shows it's a worldwide issue

18 Days!18DAYS FFS should take less than 18 mins to change one.BMW Assistance(Mondial)carry them as spares in the UK.

18 Days BLOODY HELL!:eek

Well, not always the people from Mondial/Bmw carry on spares. As by my post, it took me three visits from the mechanics to get the FPC changed. Depends of where you are and the day on which you break down.

Regards

O.

Back
Top Bottom