achived fuel pump controller replies

Status
Not open for further replies.
That just means they don't have a lot of faith yet so aren't saying the latest one IS the fix unless it bites them on the arse.

The dealer who replaced the unit did not think that the replacement was a mod as the part number has not changed. If they come out with an up-graded part would the number change?? I would have thought so.

OldCroc

Have you seen all the people who have posted their FPC failures in the thread for those who HAVEN'T had a failure??:blast I wonder if they have been added to the stats?

OldCroc

I have a deposit on a new GSA at SBW in Hertford.
Reading this thread, I am getting a touch nervous.
I am considering demanding that 2 spare FPCs come as part of the deal.
Reasoning: I asked the dealer several times about problems with the bike and he told me there were none bar the ignition thing and that that had been fixed.
I even pressed him, telling him I intend to use the bike in South America and other seriously remote places, when I will be a long way from help on occasions and what spares I should take. His reply - actually the mechanic - "just service parts". No mention of FPC.
Do I or don't I............

What are your thoughts folks ????

From what I understand the design of the tank has been changed on the new ones to put the fPC at an angle where it doesn't collect the crap and water... so the new ones shouldn't suffer from failure . Meanwhile I've got an older one and carry a spare FPC and a work around cable so I won't get stranded

From what I understand the design of the tank has been changed on the new ones to put the fPC at an angle where it doesn't collect the crap and water... so the new ones shouldn't suffer from failure . Meanwhile I've got an older one and carry a spare FPC and a work around cable so I won't get stranded

Thanks BRYN but as I read it the change only applies to the GS not the GSA...but as you can see I am new to this bike so not 100% sure.

Thing is they've sold 100,000 units or so... I knew about the problems having been on ukgser a few years...still sold the 1150 Adventure and bought a 1200.. still don't regret it ;)

Thing is they've sold 100,000 units or so... I knew about the problems having been on ukgser a few years...still sold the 1150 Adventure and bought a 1200.. still don't regret it ;)

Thanks again Bryn, it's refreshing that you do not regret it.
Do we know if we have any failures on the newer (painted) version of the FPC. I currently have a new Yamaha Tenere that is seriously low tech (but a fantastic bike) and am upgrading due to lack of carrying capacity for a 2up RTW trip.

Question is: Do I bully the dealer for a couple of free spare FPCs or is it no longer necessary ???

Thanks BRYN but as I read it the change only applies to the GS not the GSA...but as you can see I am new to this bike so not 100% sure.

You are correct.
There is a newer FPC on current bikes which seems more reliable but whether it's 100% is debatable.
The FPC's are cheap enough, so get one on sale or return for your trip and/or carry a workaround lead, made up as per the instructions you can find on here.
It's really not something to be at all nervous about.
It's not like things don't have the potential to go wrong on all bikes is it? :nenau

I have owned a 2005 R1200GS since new and I'm sorry to have to advice you not to use this bike in seriously remote places. It's not nearly reliable enough. I wouldn't anyway. I'd use a Japanese.

How the Germans have managed to construct and design the most comfortable, best looking and most fun bike ever and then seem unable to screw it properly together is a mystery.

I disagree. In the four years since I've owned mine, I've only had FPC and battery problems, both of which are easily fixable before any failure. Carry a spare FPC or the work around cable (shown on a sticky in this thread) and replace the battery with an Odyssey battery, which appears to be the one of choice for users on here. In 20,000 miles I've not experienced any other technical problems and if someone going on a long journey takes the same precautions as they would on any other bike, the 1200 should be fine.

I don't worry about the FPC issue as it appears the vast majority last for many thousands of miles, having said that the fault is too common to ignore

If I was off round the world I'd definately carry a spare and a work-around cable as 'be prepared' is wise advice when you're hundreds of miles away from a BMW dealer!

It's depressing to report that the rate of failures hasn't slowed, also that the failures apparently affect the latest version of the controller. BMW's seeming lack of interest in solving this issue is unimpressive.

Update on failure statistics (UK owners only) totalled by year of breakdown

2004: 7
2005: 17
2006: 32
2007: 57
2008: 131
2009: 72

Total: 316

If you have experienced a fuel pump controller, please download a VOSA Safety Defect Report form from here (right click and 'save target as') and email the completed form to me at tim dot cullis at infar dot co dot uk.

Cheers
Tim

Matkat from GSClub

March '04 bike
Jan 2006
2 miles from home, limped to Clarkes all replaced under warranty

March 09.
Same '04 bike cut out on way to Clarkes(to replace rear wheel bearing), re-started immediately. Parts replaced and charged for, as much for my piece of mind as their was some corrosion and water again when they stripped it)

If I was doing a big trip I would always take a spare !!

Tim - I have pm'd you.
OldCroc

hi guys.... ive just bought an 07 GSA and the first owner has never had any problems with it.... how do i check to see if this is going to be a problem or is a case of wait till it does?

Or, how can i prevent it?

thanks

Welcome to the forum.

You can neither check nor prevent. It's a game of Russian roulette; the FPC might fail tomorrow, it might be OK for the length of your ownership.

In the last few days BMW USA has issued a recall/campaign on 07-08 models so it could be that BMW UK will shortly follow suit. Ever hopeful...

Prevent most of the pain by having a spare one and knowing how to change it. I had a spare and didn't need it, which is good. Bad that I felt that I had to buy a spare one though :(

Also, best have a search on the ring antenna and decide if having a spare one is also a good idea ...

Just seen this on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-R1200GS-F...arts?hash=item1c0bd0c5eb&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14 but the price from a dealer may not be too different, and the sale is nothing to do with me.

Last edited:
Hi Tim,

Touch wood I haven't had an FPC failure yet - seems to me its an inevitable event waiting to happen after reading all of the above. I am on 11k miles on a 05 bike. Bike has had a Baglux cover on it and on a visual check, the FPC assembly is dry. From what I understand it seems to be wear and heat + potentially the wet background frying up the electronic plaquette....

Long story short, we are 3 GSs going to Normandy /Brittany and Loire for 5 days and I am thinking: hmmm what are the chances of one of us going FPC? quite high I reckon...

So I am abt to buy a spare and carry... I could not found though the thread where you show us how to change it. (have come across it once, but could not find it again..) Can you pls re post the link? What tools are needed for roadside fix?

Kind regds,
Theo

Tim Cullis said:
My pics/explanation are at post #55 on http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143272

You need torx driver to remove panel, knife to strip wires, electrical tape to plaster over the top.

George

Welcome to the forum.

If you read back through the thread you will find that BMW has agreed to look favourably on claims outside of warranty. Also, BMW is about to initiate a campaign to replace all FPCs when the bikes are next serviced. So tell Darren at Vines that you want him to fight your corner for a free replacement. And ask if he can't get parts for two weeks why can't he get one from BMW Battersea. :)

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom