achived fuel pump controller replies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whatever the reasons for starting it, the I'm alright thread might be quite useful to help identify a common set of conditions for failure (or lack of failure) though I suspect it is probably just random.

Unless the fpc was a catastrophic disaster (which it clearly isn't), there are always going to be far more that do not have a failure than do. That doesn't matter - it is still the one remaining frequent "stop you in your tracks" fault as your thread demonstrates (I'm assuming the antenna issue is solved).

Sure there are the odd other reports of RH cylinders, final drives, etc but, unfortunate as they are for the owners, they do appear be fairly rare.

I know I've posted it before but I still think this is an interesting quote from the World of BMW site from Herbert Schwarz (Touratech) about touring with a BMW. "Now all he takes is a ring antenna for the key, a fuel pump and a tyre repair kit. " Says it all!

Now incorporated in 2008 figures

Manchester
Hubarbspong
2007(57) 1200GS
BMW assist to Williams Manchester who would not touch bike for 2 weeks :spitfire Angry me on phone for 2 days got it moved to Alan Jefferies who fixed it same day:clap
Lost a day at work (6hrs from initial call to BMW asist to getting to Williams)
Spent 2 days ringing Williams, BMW assist and BMW customer services as Williams would not pay for replacement vehicle. Ongoing complaint logged at BMW customer service
as I have had to pay for the hire car for 2 days

Provisionally added to 2006 figures

Yep, mine broke once, and I had a shit time with BMW assist as well.
Time/location: evening in Ascot.
BMW Assist, aka Generic Pickup Man Who Can't Tell A Bike From A Giraffe, finally turned up after about 3 hours waiting, with a flat bed lorry big enough to carry a Sherman tank.
Then they offered me the choice between (a) take me and the bike home so that I wouldn't be able to get it to a dealer to fix it, (b) take me and the bike to a dealer and leave me stranded because they'd all be shut by that time. Should have called the AA instead, at least I'd have got option (c) of the bike to a dealer and me home, but I'd heard such good things about BMW Assist I figured they had to be better - more fool me, trusting the words of a sales slimeball.

Next bike isn't likely to be a BMW. The GS is a good bike when it works, but there's way too much to go wrong on it. Canbus? Can'tbus more like. I've had several failures, and on a ten grand bike from supposedly the best German manufacturer that's really unacceptable. Jap next time for me, probably Yamaha or Honda (although the recent parts price article in Ride puts me off Honda).

My three ha'peth....

- When did it happen? 20th April 2008
- Where were you? Home, I'm pleased to say.
- rider name Martyn Buckland
- bike details (model and year) R1200 GSA, first registered September 2007
- remedy BMW Assist to dealer then new controller fitted. BMW Assist returned it to home
- How many days work/holiday did you lose? None
- Were there any incidental costs? No[/B
]

Incorporated in 2008 figures

Ah well.... knew I shouldn't have posted on the other thread... mine went this morning.
06 plate 1200GS, 13736 miles.
All sorted by BMW assist and on my way again within the hour. Not bad for rush hour this morning.

Yes, it broke... yes it was fixed... yes it probably shouldn't have broken, but ultimately the hassle factor (for me at least) was pretty minimal. Could have been worse I suppose, but wasn't...

Still happy with 2 and a bit years of BMW ownership.:thumb

- When did it happen? 3rd August 2008
- Where were you? A40 overtaking a lorry
- rider name: Gog yn y De
- bike details (model and year): R1200 GSA, July 06 (21,000 miles)
- remedy: BMW Assist to dealer then new controller fitted. BMW Assist returned it to home
- How many days work/holiday did you lose? 10 days without bike
- Were there any incidental costs? No

Incorporated in 2008

Mine went in July 08

I had trouble starting the at work but got going eventually. Next morning no go on my drive so used car. Called Assist that evening who came 7am next morning and repaced it in 10 minutes. Luckily had taken out extended warranty the previous week ...damn, I selected it with £50.00 excess...

GSA 2006 42,000 miles

Looking at the broken part there were no signs of damage under the seal, the mechanic said a lot he replaced had got wet under the seal and had become swollen. The ali fins on the outside were a bit corroded but the bike is never garaged and is parked on side stand all the time so any rain or moisture collects on that side.

I was very happy with the response time and the knowledge of the Assist engineer.

My memory isn't what it used to be but.....

My early 1200 (2004? Balderston's ex demo bike, which was used as the model for Caja Sahel once I was done with it) left me stranded in Aberystwyth in 2006. I had to get recovered home (Aberystwyth to Bury St Edmunds, via the B&B in Betws Y Coed, in a van limited to 60mph!:spitfire) then on to Balderston's.
Didn't cost me owt, but wrecked ANOTHER long weekend away (ignition coil left me stranded previously).
Not good on a bike I sold with just 17k on it, purely cos I didn't want letting down a third time.

Thanks, Abel. You're right about your memory being shot. ;)

It happened the weekend of 4 September 2005 :aidan

Tim

Where are ya ya bugger? :confused:
Yer hiding in my smoke detector aren't ya? :eek:

Well it was within a year. Not bad for me. :D

Tourist from London 18/08/08
Location Portree
56 plate R1200GSA
Recovered to Calterdon
He's hired an 1150 from Robmack as not a stock item

Good start to his tour of the Highlands and Islands

Tim, look at #4 of aforementioned post, dated 19 Aug 08.

Incorporated in 2008 figres

Ah, thanks. Yes, that's another then. Post #4 on http://www.r1200gs.info/forum/showthread.php?t=439

rcgd said:
I had the same problem and the unit has been replaced by the dealer (at my expense). The engine cut out just after an overtake. Had it happened slightly earlier in another overtake the situation could have been catastrophic. I am amazed that such a critical part can fail (imagine if aircraft engines failed and they fell out of the skies because of defective pumps). I am writing to Mottorrad UK to complain. I wonder how common this problem is ?

How common? About 170 and still counting!

Tim

Incorporated in 2008 figures

Mine went on weds this week , BMW assist turned out today and confirmed the fuel pump controller was duff . Bike is an 05 1200gs

When did it happen? May 2008
Where were you? At home, luckily
Rider name: David S
Bike details (model and year): R1200GS / 2005
Remedy: Bought new unit
How many days work/holiday: None, but as I'd no idea what the problem was I spent a great deal of time talking to BMW Turkey, who seemed to have no idea and told me to take the bike in at what would have been great cost. UKGser came to the rescue.

Hello,

- When did it happen? Russia
- Where were you?
- rider name? Jorik
- bike details (model and year) R1200GS and 2005
- remedy - Self recovered using GS911 on the road (I bypassed controller using wiring direct from connector of it - thanks a lot to FAQ of ADVrider). At the next day I bought new pump controller and put it on legal place.

- How many days work/holiday did you lose? 0 days
- Were there any incidental costs?

BR,

Jorik
Hi Jorik
I'm keeping the list as failures that have happened to UK owners as it has more impact statistically, but many thanks for reporting the failure as it shows it's a worldwide issue.
Tim

July 2008
On way home from work near Harlow
Steve (RAVANELLI)
57 plate GSA with about 6k
BMW emergency service called
Waited for about 45 mins at roadside
On road about 15 mins later
No lost days
No cost
(1 week before this front shock leaking, again replaced under warranty. Today on 6k service rear disc replaced under warranty)
mmmmmmmmmmmm

Fuel Pump Regulator

about 3 weeks ago
Motorway services on M6 nr Preston
Geoff Johnson-

'04 R1200GS- bike details (model and year)
I has a spare with me DIY job 15 mins
£76

FPC

Now incorporated in 2008 statistics

i have just experienced a FPC failure.

- When did it happen? 24/08/08
- Where were you? Douglas Isle of Man for the Manx GP
- rider name Tony Walker
- bike details (model and year) R1200GS 2006 11000 miles
- remedy mates van to the ferry port then big push onto the ferry followed by a big push off the ferry at liverpool then home courtesy of Carole Nash recovery. checked the controller out with a meter and decided it was duff. new one from Southport Superbikes 85 quid ish.
- How many days work/holiday did you lose? 2
- Were there any incidental costs? not really.

The BMW dealer on the island who's name escapes me (ex TT racer) was closed (or wasn't answering the phone).

i have to say that after many many years doing thousands of miles on 2 honda VFR's including continental touring and track days and neither of them ever putting a foot wrong in all that time i am massively disappointed with the GS letting me down like this. i have only had the damn thing about 2 months.
i still have the vtec vfr and have been trying to sell it. perhaps i will hang on to it a while longer just in case!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom