recall of handguards threads merged

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems to me that it is no recall at all.

It is called a recall (§ 35 Abs. 2 Nr. 1 StVG). BMW got the adresses from the German safety organisation KBA (similar to VOSA, UK). It would be illegal for BMW to get the adresses if this would not be a recall. Now please all of you get your facts straight.

This is the letter the owner got:

http://media.de.indymedia.org/media/2008/06//220080.pdf

This action, the recall, is in debate of nearly every BMW forum in Germany because BMW is not reapairing anything but giving stickers away with "useful" hints how to use your handguards and your bike. Some might read there, that BMW believes, that some customers are just morons.

If you deny the fact that this is a recall, then you sould declare why you are denying the facts.

What the feck is all this crap about the hand guards for?
Yeah they move,yeah they can catch the levers but it can be seen whilst riding and even adjusted whilst doing the same.Nemezis grow up get a life if ya dont like BMW get summat else or better still stop riding a bike you clearly aint capable of it.:mcgun

Nemezis grow up get a life if ya dont like BMW

I like BMW very much. Indeed I love it.

What I don't like is having flawed components on my bike.

Do you like it? Or should I say, love it?

And in the end: What is the thing "premium" about?

I like BMW very much. Indeed I love it.

What I don't like is having flawed components on my bike.

They aint flawed, they just require input from the rider to keep them at their optimum position.
Is the fuel tank "flawed" cos it needs filling,or the mirrors "flawed" when they need adjusting,or the sparkplugs when they need gapping?

And don't think im gonna get drawn into any more replies on this subject you just aint worth it

They aint flawed, they just require input from the rider to keep them at their optimum position.

Let me get this straight: BMW is initiating a recall (according to German law and German safety organisation KBA), but the parts (handguards) aint flawed?

Well, have a look on the new 08 handguards. They simply cannot touch any lever, whatever you do with them. Do you believe this is coincidence?

So what we are dealing with this recall is not the flawed handguards but the flawed customers. Then why is BMW initiation a recall but not recalling the flawed customers?

Any guess?

Let me get this straight: BMW is initiating a recall (according to German law and German safety organisation KBA), but the parts (handguards) aint flawed?

Well, have a look on the new 08 handguards. They simply cannot touch any lever, whatever you do with them. Do you believe this is coincidence?

So what we are dealing with this recall is not the flawed handguards but the flawed customers. Then why is BMW initiation a recall but not recalling the flawed customers?

Any guess?

:stopbeing

Any guess?

So lets see YOU have already said they aint changing the guards,just adding stickers,pictures for idiot "flawed" customers.So they,BMW,are not replacing "flawed"componets just making it clear to "flawed" customers the blatantly bleeding obvious.Attaching/supplying one of YOUR "NANNY" devices.

Congrtulations you made me a liar i actually responded when i said i would not,but the rest of your posts will be whistleing dixie 'cos i will not lower myself to respond.Bye bye:kissy2

Hey karnevil,

eventually you are the only one that complety understands what I am saying.

Yes, I do believe that customers are flawed if they buy nanny-devices. Yes, I do believe that BMW is responsible for the nanny-devices their flawed customers are buying. Therefore they initated a recall but "they aint changing the guards, just adding stickers, pictures for idiot "flawed" customers."

What they say is, that they, BMW, are not wrong, but the idiot customer. In some way or the others they might be right!

OTOH have seen no guys from KTM ever with nanny-stickers on their guards. :rob

OTOH have seen no guys from KTM ever with nanny-stickers on their guards. :rob

That's because they come ready to race, them KTM's, stickers would probably make them to heavy.

Anyway, there are a few things every rider has to check before riding a bike according to German law, the new R1200GS sticker helps for sure with some of that and also looks kind of funky.:thumb2

Anybody know what else has to be checked, again according to German law before every ride? I kind of see the need for another few stickers.

Should be done as a proper recall then, stickers applied by properly trained technicians which know how and where to place them, personally I think sending out 2 sets of stickers just in case the end user is f*****g up the first set is just not good enough.

That's because they come ready to race, them KTM's, stickers would probably make them to heavy.

Fact is, that KTM's don't come with these nanny-stickers. :thedummy
Fact is also, that KTM's do have flexible brake pipes fitted on the ABS-modulator while BMW's do have the cheap massive pipes fitted. The type that cracked. :augie

There might be something to learn for them BMW guys from KTM. :nenau

RAPEX Warning R1200GS with handguards! [European Union]

http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/dyna/rapex/create_rapex_search.cfm

clip0001pe0.jpg

Type/number of model: Model R1200GS, type R12

Description: Concerns motorcycles built between December 2002 and October 2007.

Country of origin: Germany

Injuries

The product poses a risk of injuries because in the event of inappropriate handling, such as pulling roughly, hitting objects while manoeuvring, or if the motorcycle falls over, the hand protector on the handlebar controls can twist. It could then touch the handbrake or clutch control causing brake or clutch malfunction. In addition, if the twisted hand protector lightly touches and operates the handbrake control, the brake linings may touch the brake disc and the resulting heat generation would cause the brake pressure to build up which could slow down the front wheel, even so far as to block it.

Three incidents reported.

The corrective action taken by the manufacturer is a sticker for the handguards and a supplement for the manual:

http://media.de.indymedia.org/media/2008/06//220080.pdf

Yawn.....

same story, different day

BS! This report is from last week from the German autorieties! This is brand new information and a warning for all EU-members for unsafe products. If you don't care for unsafe products, it's your fault.

So if you drop the bike and damage it then it may effect the bikes road worthiness.

Not ground breaking news is it?

Or are people now too stupid and need a sticker on the bike to tell them this :confused:

Ok.

As regards the latest:

(a) A bike falling over, being used in a less than perfect way, hitting something may bugger / interfere with its brake / clutch lever. Well that's hardly news is it?

(b) Three incidents reported.....Global sales are what? 10's of thousands, I would guess. Again, I might suggest, hardly convincing proof of anything.

So far, for all your weird German announcements of Federal enquiries and carnage on the road....it's peace and quiet here in good old UK. The only thing that has vaguely stirred the waters is BuMW's recent announcement of a campaign to replace failing ignition rings....and, from memory, a polite letter a few years ago asking us to drop by for a free check that the ABS sensor lead was not about to be cut, if some numpty had taken out the front wheel and not replaced it properly. A small clip was retro-fitted to earler 1200GS models to avoid the possible problem.

So far, we have been spared hoards of hapless GS riders ploughing into things*....Mind you, we have had scores of people confused about bloody oil....is there any news from Germany on that?

=====

*I do though recall some Germans thumping into solid things on the Isle of Man....but they do it every year it seems.....Something should be done about it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom