Free bike parking in Sydney could happen.

(RIP) Kaister

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Can't argue with this.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/07/24/2313329.htm

Moore pushes for free motorbike parking

Posted Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:05pm AEST

Motorcycle and scooter riders will receive free parking in Sydney if a council proposal gets the nod.
Sydney City Council's draft strategy would waive fees in all designated parking spaces for cars on the city's streets, in the hope of encouraging a switch from four wheels to two.
The Motorcycle and Scooter Strategy also proposes trialing publicly-accessible charging points for electric scooters, on-street fastening points to secure motorbikes and cheaper and easier tolling on motorways.
Lord Mayor Clover Moore says the free parking would be subject to a 12-month trial.
"What we're wanting to do is to trial a situation which will make it much more attractive for people to come into the city on a motor-scooter or a motorcycle rather than using a car," she said.
"We know that you can park five motor-scooters in the place of a car and we know that there's certainly reduced pollution and reduced emissions with a scooter or a bike."
Councillor Moore says pay-and-display parking meters discriminate against motorcyclists because their parking tickets risk being stolen or blown away.
She says the council is also proposing to review the safety of Sydney's streets for motorcyclists, who she says account for nearly 15 per cent of Australian road deaths and are 30 times more likely than car occupants to die in an accident.
The draft strategy will be discussed at a meeting of the Planning, Transport and Development Committee on Monday.

aye, that'll be useful next time I'm that way on a bike. :nenau

Just how far behind are you lot over there, we've had free bike parking for ever :thumb2 :D

It's good to see some councils taking the initiative for a change tho :clap

aye, that'll be useful next time I'm that way on a bike. :nenau

Just how far behind are you lot over there, we've had free bike parking for ever :thumb2 :D
It's good to see some councils taking the initiative for a change tho :clap

You've got free bike parking in london ?

Well this place is about 5 yrs behind the uk in most things :)

PS Bike parking is always free if you know where to look ;)

dunno about london i'm up north. But every carpark around here has bike specific bays, the new multistory even went as far as a motorcycle only entry and exit to the place as well as free parking and a dedicated cctv camera for bikes :clap

I've never paid to park my bike anywhere, i think most places realize it's unworkable cos most people will just dump the bike anywhere out of the way if the only other option is paying to park.

London bike parking may be free, but every time Ive been down there on bike Ive NEVER found a bike "park" that wasnt chokka.
Last time I was there I manged to squeeze the Beemer 1/2 into a bike parking space but got a £100 fine for being "over the whiteline".
It was kensington tho !!!!

RC mad. Hows things ??

Not so Free

We already have limited free bike parking in Sydney BUT they are always filled up. I presume they are city workers who occupy the space all day. Maybe they should be timed, say 2 or 3 hrs max.

Sydney Cheap Secure Parking

Any of our Sydney GS'ers out there would like to look after my GSA over the Christmas/New Years (2012/2013), while I go and slum it up in a hostel. Unless anyone knows of cheap secure parking?

Cheers :thumb2

Free in Eastbourne & Lewes - can park in residents bays & pay and display bays. And there is a dedicated bike bay in Lewes as well, although the only time I actually tried to park in it someone had parked their car in it.

Back
Top Bottom