NZ Speeding Ticket

Shagley

Reaction score
I live in Sydney but was recently in NZ and was caught speeding (in a car) - doing 80kmh in a 50kmh zone:augie. The police gave me a fine of $300 which I have to pay in 28days. I (regretably) had my Oz driving licence on me (not my UK one) and he took all the details from it - licence number, address etc.
Just wondering if anyone knows if police in NZ can chase me when I live in Oz for the outstanding fine.
I cant seem to find anything on internet :type about this kind of situation so any help appreciated

A mate of mine got caught speeding in OZ while on holiday a few years back. The ticket followed him home to the UK (smart ticket, eh :D). As he wants to return to OZ at some stage, he thought it better to pay up just incase they're waiting at the airport for him.

Pay up.

The alternative is Transportation....................... :blast

NZ has agreements to chase some fines in Australia, I do not know if this is one of them. NZ Courts also share details with NZ Customs on outstanding fines but again I do not know if that also includes speeding tickets. Might be best just to pay up and forget about it, at least you won't get points against your licence like locals do.

Adrian

Yep the highway patrol have a pretty heavy presence...

They have also upgraded computer systems at the airports so any unpaid fines will put against your name. Even if they don't nab you on exit if you every go back and the fine has gone overdue etc they will grab you then.
To what extent this works...?........

.. . . fwiw the wallopers also have a link between license databases in the two countries, mebbe with others as well. Being an OZ living in NZ for many years I had held onto my NSW license for sentimental reasons, & one time it was due for renewal a few years ago on a visit home I wandered into an RTA shop to get a new photo-license & pay for another 10 years etc, but the (asian) chook behind the counter hit me with 'you canot be now doing this sah'! When I asked why she said it was becoz the 'puter had told her I also had a NZ license, & I couldnt have both NO more, & if I wanted to renew my Oz one I would have to kill the kiwi one . .. & after 3 months back in Taradise I'ld just have to sit a new kiwi one anyway (which would be MUCH harder now than when I got the first NZ one in '74), so bye bye NSW license. The beurocratic nets just get finer & finer, but at least the kiwi cops are much better behaved than the mongrels in Oz . .. . Mind ow ya go, BrooC, OZ in NZ :rob

My husband was in NZ 3 years ago and got a fine for speeding ( the only one he has received in 25 years of driving). He paid it, at a local bank and all was well.
His mate got a fine around the same time and didn't pay it. Last year he went back to NZ on holiday and was told at the airport he could not go into the country unless he paid the outstanding fine.
I guess it's ok no to pay if you never intend to return to the country!

My husband was in NZ 3 years ago and got a fine for speeding ( the only one he has received in 25 years of driving). He paid it, at a local bank and all was well.
His mate got a fine around the same time and didn't pay it. Last year he went back to NZ on holiday and was told at the airport he could not go into the country unless he paid the outstanding fine.
I guess it's ok no to pay if you never intend to return to the country!

Indeed, but I bet he was very red.....

.. . .on a visit home I wandered into an RTA shop to get a new photo-license & pay for another 10 years etc, but the (asian) chook behind the counter hit me with 'you canot be now doing this sah'! When I asked why she said it was becoz the 'puter had told her I also had a NZ license, & I couldnt have both NO more, & if I wanted to renew my Oz one I would have to kill the kiwi one . ..:rob

Good to see you on this site BrooC.
Interesting coment about your NSW licence, my son on a 3 week holiday in Brisbane visiting his Aunt called into a RTA shop and $75 later walked out with a Queensland licence valid for 5 years!!!!!!!!!!:confused:

A colleague of mine in Switzerland had the following occur. Speeding ticket issued after a minor interaction with a speed camera. He promptly ignored the subsequent ticket. The matter was refered to the magistrates court and the the matter was heard in his absence and fine a was imposed plus court costs and various other fees. As a result of the fine remaining unpaid, a Warrant of Commitment was issued and will result in his arrest on return to NZ as an unpaid fine. All this for 22 km/h over.

The arrest is not a big deal as it is a money or the body type deal. You have the warrant served, you pay the fine and everyone is happy - although you will probably loose a few hours at immigration while they chase down the paperwork. If you never intent to go back to lovely NZ this is probably not a problem and they won't chase you in Oz, but if you want to go back you should sort it out in advance. The only other problem is that the ignored ticket may be considered a 'driving conviction' once it hits the courts and your insurance company might take a dim view of the issue - if they ever talk to anyone in NZ of course.

I was caught speeding at 150km in a 100km zone in NZ recently, got a £261 fine, left without paying, ticket arrived a couple of weeks ago, can they chase me up for it in the UK?

Thx, yeah saw it, was wondering if the NZ police bill the hire company and they bill me from the credit card?

I live in Sydney but was recently in NZ and was caught speeding (in a car) - doing 80kmh in a 50kmh zone:augie. The police gave me a fine of $300 which I have to pay in 28days. I (regretably) had my Oz driving licence on me (not my UK one) and he took all the details from it - licence number, address etc.
Just wondering if anyone knows if police in NZ can chase me when I live in Oz for the outstanding fine.

Probably a bit late for you Shagley (if you've already paid), but a mate of mine lives in Sydney and got one over in NZ about 6 years ago. He put it in his photo album. Years later he had to go back there for work and was worried about trouble at immigration, so he rang Courts NZ and said he couldn't remember if he'd paid it or not and could they check as he didn't want trouble when he arrived. The Court officer asked him how long ago it was and when he said "about 5 years ago" he laughed and said "Ah you Aussies, we give up chasing you after 2 years so don't worry about it." He went over there and had no trouble at all.

I picked up one a few weeks ago in NZ myself and intend on doing the same thing - bloody 100 zone in a dead flat, dead straight valley with 2 cars every 10 minutes, sheep behind fences and the biggest thing you can hit being a possum.

Anyway, moral is my mate proved they don't link speeding fines with your passport - all they have to go on is your name as the cop only sees your foreign license, not your passport, and linking on name is not considered sufficient no matter how unique your name is (my mate's is very unusual).

Hire contracts usually say that they will pay unpaid fines with your credit card, but he was pulled over; it wasn't a fixed or hidden camera and the fine was handed to him so the hire car company never get involved, even if you don't pay.

You were lucky you were only 30kph over the set speed as 40kph over and you get your licence and car taken off you for 28 days. You could have been walking around our country.:thumb

Back
Top Bottom