How to retrieve your track logs from your Zumo.

Deleted account W

<o:p></o:p>Getting them off the Zumo.
<o:p> </o:p>
I’ve been asked a few times about getting the track logs from the Zumo onto a PC.
Plug the Zumo into the PC using the USB cable and wait for the picture of the Zumo attached to a PC to appear on it’s screen.
Open Mapsource on your PC, click on the receive from device icon (A little GPS with an arrow point upwards from it). A pop up box appears as below. Un-tick everything apart from “Tracks” then click on receive.

ScreenShot001-7.jpg

In the left hand side bar under the tracks tab the active tracks off your unit will appear. If you highlight one, right click on it then select “Show selected route on map” the map will zoom into show the selected track log in yellow.

ScreenShot003-8.jpg

If during a days riding you turn the GPS off then on again two separate tracks will be produced. To join these up to give you a complete track log for the day hold down the Ctrl key on your keyboard and highlight both tracks by left clicking on them. Then right click on the two (or more if needed) tracks and select “Join selected tracks”
This will combine the selected tracks into one.

ScreenShot004-8.jpg

When you’ve finished editing the tracks click on File, Save as and give your track log a name and save it in a folder.
You may find that not all your tracks appear if you’ve been on a long trip. This is because the Zumo archives the tracks when they reach a certain length.
To access these you need to open “Windows Explorer” and open the “GARMIN (E) drive (your drive letter may be different depending on how your PC has allocated it)
Open the Garmin folder, open the GPX folder, open the Archive folder.
You should then find a list of archived .gpx files.

ScreenShot006-9.jpg

Double click on the highest numbered one and it will open in Mapsource the last tracks archived by the Zumo.
Highlight the tracks you want to save, right click on them and select “Copy”

ScreenShot007-4.jpg

Close this Mapsource file and re-open the one you saved earlier. Right click in the tracks tab in the left hand side bar and select “Paste”. The “Archived” tracks will now be in your Track log file on your PC along with the “Active” ones.
Edit the new tracks as before if you want but don’t forget to “Save” the changes.
Hope this helps.

New tracklogs are started if the unit has been switched off and then moved some distance (just switching it off and back on again does't start a new tracklog).

There's no direct instruction to start a new tracklog, the only way I'm aware of being able to force a new tracklog is by doing a 'find' and starting a new route.

Tim

Excellent.

Many thanks.

I had been wondering where the 'missing' tracks went to.

It seems also that the Zumo will only hold the track logs for the last 3-5 days of travel, dependent on distance.

Of our trip to the alps and the EM3 bash, I only have the last day in France and the run up north and then back home.

I had noticed the visible track disappearing on the Zumo whilst we were traveling. I was hoping it would all be stored in the memory, but it appears not so.

Any ideas?

Val.

It seems also that the Zumo will only hold the track logs for the last 3-5 days of travel, dependent on distance.

Of our trip to the alps and the EM3 bash, I only have the last day in France and the run up north and then back home.

I had noticed the visible track disappearing on the Zumo whilst we were traveling. I was hoping it would all be stored in the memory, but it appears not so.

Any ideas?

Val.

Nope, it's all there, just archived. It'll hold masses of trip data. When you plug it into your pc it archives it, have a look at this thread. Caught me out the first time to, so don't worry :D

Any ideas?

Val.

Have you read through my post above, it explains where the tracks are stored :confused:

I'll copy it again below.......

You may find that not all your tracks appear if you’ve been on a long trip. This is because the Zumo archives the tracks when they reach a certain length.
To access these you need to open “Windows Explorer” and open the “GARMIN (E) drive (your drive letter may be different depending on how your PC has allocated it)
Open the Garmin folder, open the GPX folder, open the Archive folder.
You should then find a list of archived .gpx files.

ScreenShot006-9.jpg

Double click on the highest numbered one and it will open in Mapsource the last tracks archived by the Zumo.
Highlight the tracks you want to save, right click on them and select “Copy”

ScreenShot007-4.jpg

Close this Mapsource file and re-open the one you saved earlier. Right click in the tracks tab in the left hand side bar and select “Paste”. The “Archived” tracks will now be in your Track log file on your PC along with the “Active” ones.
Edit the new tracks as before if you want but don’t forget to “Save” the changes.
Hope this helps.

Thanks guys :thumb2

Reading the whole manual was never my strong point :eek:

Val.

Probably a dumb question but........

Trying to retrieve track logs from Zumo archive (3 week trip to Europe) as per Whatton instructions and when I click on last archived log I get a message to the effect that windows cannot read the file(GPX) and directs me to various websites which suggest that my "registry" is bloated(!!) and I should download software from Regcure and others to sort problem. At a cost of approx £35!

Is this necessary or is there any free software to download which will sort the apparent problem?

Or am I just confused .com and doing something silly!

Thanks for any info.

Liam

I click on last archived log I get a message to the effect that windows cannot read the file(GPX) and directs me to various websites which suggest that my "registry" is bloated(!!) and I should download software from Regcure and others to sort problem. At a cost of approx £35!

That sounds like you have something nasty on your PC - rather than a problem with the GPX file or the mapping software - the only messages I would expect to see would either be from Microsoft or from Garmin/Mapsource not from something that takes you to a 3rd party website.

Just my 2p

Trying to retrieve track logs from Zumo archive (3 week trip to Europe) as per Whatton instructions and when I click on last archived log I get a message to the effect that windows cannot read the file(GPX)

Have had that too, I can read some archive files but not all :confused:

On eothert useful trip that may help with Saved tracks - in the User Dat section (on a Zump 550 anyway) you havethe option to Save Tracks as Routes - these then all get uploaded as Routes to Mapsource when you transfer data

Thanks eggchaser An interesting twist and perhaps one to try.

Any other comp eggheads' thoughts on the vexed "cannot read .gpx files" messages?

BTY the message to go to other sites seems to official from Microsoft.

Cannot read .gpx means your computer doesn't realise it should be using Mapsource to open the file. Doesn't it also give you the option to open the file with programs on your computer?

I can't offhand explain how to fix this properly, it's to do with file associations, but in the meantime just load Mapsource program and ask it to open the .gpx file on the e:/ drive (or wherever).

What Tim couldn't quite remember..... Control panel - folder options - file types and associate gpx files with mapsource.

Should solve the problem.

Thanks

Thanks to Tim and Popeye.

So simple.............when you know (or are told) how!!

My three week trip is now downloaded into My Documents in eight different segments. That is how Garmin archived the trip. How can I link these segments together to get a printable overview of the full trip?

Did anyone come up with an answer to the " .gpx is not a valid Mapsource file and could not be opened" error message?
I have downloaded 4 out of 6 archived files, but the other two won't play the game. I've tried everything on here, but am still left with two days worth of tracks stuck in the system.
Mark

Back
Top Bottom