Roscoff to Spain April 2004

James Santry

I have recently bought an 850 GS and am planning a trip to Spain during Easter 04. As it is not the ideal time of the year to be travelling, I was hoping for some advise. I only have a week. Should I cross over near Biarritz or Perpignan? Also what would be the top speed that the 850 would be comfortable at on the long journey down, one up with camping gear etc? I will be travelling with a Fireblade and a Hyabusa. They want me to leave the GS at home and take my '97 VFR out of the bike shop where it is for sale at the moment.
I believe that it is not the most exciting run down through France.
Any suggestions please.

James,

I don't know about the 850 but I imagine a 90 cruising speed would be about right. I'd also point out that the French are having a blitz on speeding riders and if your mates really want to cruise at much more than that they'll be risking large fines and possible confiscation of their bikes.

Where do you want to go in Spain? The road from Perpignan is easier (the Biarittz route is hard work and heavily used - although in April it's probably OK) and the weather is better in Mediterranean (spelling?) France and Spain.

Allow 2 days to get to the Spanish border unless you're starting out from Roscoff very early and are prepared to ride for 12 hours. The guy on the Blade wil probably need to stop more often than you as his fuel range will be worse than yours. He'll also be more uncomfortable and will soon learn that riding large distances at high speed is not the most relaxing way of travelling.

Can't recommend any particular places in NE Spain (I'm sure Barcelona based Spanish Bob can) but if you end up over Bilbao way then try my mate at www.casazalama.com for accommodation.

Enjoy your trip.

Cheers

Dick

Superb Campsite

James

I went Plymouth-Santander in 2002 and found a brill campsite at Ramales de la Victoria, about 20km south of Laredo. It's surrounded by mountains, is right by a national park and has superb facilities. I was the only one there during the week; and that was July!

Have fun.

Mick :thumb

Thanks for the info. We will be leaving at 7.30 on Sunday morning, so hopefully if we stick to the toll roads / auto routes, we should arrive before night fall.

I heard a good tip today. It is adviseable to stop for a break, petrol / food / etc. between tolls just in case you are travelling a bit to fast, so that you will not be timed and fined, between toll booths.

If we make it in a day, I think that the best plan would be to stay in one location for the duration, and go for spins around the Pyreneese each day. Do you know of any decent campsites around Biarritz / Pau area? Do you think there will be any snow for skiing in April? Even if there was I suppose it would be a nightmare trying to hire and transport skis on a bike!

We will probably allow two days to travel back up through France, staying somewhere near Nantes on the way back. Any suggestions on cheap hotel or B+B half ways up the west coast?

I am still trying to figure out where Ramales de la Victoria is.

Santy

James Santry said:

I heard a good tip today. It is adviseable to stop for a break, petrol / food / etc. between tolls just in case you are travelling a bit to fast, so that you will not be timed and fined, between toll booths.

Santy

It's a myth James, well worn and given credence by plenty of friends of friends stories. Don't worry about it. If you get done for speeding it'll be because the police caught you not the time between toll booths.

Back on subject, you should make the Spanish border for early evening if you leave at 7:30 in the morning. Stick to the motorways (boring but necessary for that distance in that time).

I don't know of any places around Pau but I'd suggest that if there were enough snow for skiing you may not want to be on a bike without stabilisers :D

Have fun.

Cheers

Dick

Back
Top Bottom