Cast Wheel Conversion ....The Facts!

Jam

Reaction score
Having looked on the BB there is a load of advice as to which wheels fit what bike etc etc etc. IT is no doubt that (IMO) this mod does improve the overall look of the GS but the question is ,at what cost?

We see on here owners with Tourance tyres talking of 8-10K out of a rear tyre.

What sort of mileages are you cast wheel owners getting?

What affect does it have on the handling?

Does the bike sit higher or lower? Does this affect the headlight etc?

Are there any additional modifications to carry out ? eg mudgaurd (front and rear)

Does it have any affect on the side or center stand settings?

Any other `i wish i knew that before i did the conversion` information that could be important.

For those of you reading this and thinking
`doesnt he know that` i can only offer my apologies
and for those of you thinking
`thats a good question` i can only say Thank you

Later Guys

Jam

Jam said:
What sort of mileages are you cast wheel owners getting?

No idea. I used to use TKC's & only put my 1st set of Tourances on 1k miles before I got the alloys. Since fitting the alloys, I've done about 2.5k. I've got to confess that I'm not fussed what mileage I get. The TKC's used to give 3-4k but I only do about 6k/yr nowadays so a set a year is fine by me.

What affect does it have on the handling?

Quicker steering & much better road-holding. Much more stable at speed & in turns.

Does the bike sit higher or lower? Does this affect the headlight etc?

Lower - I can now get both feet flat on the floor instead of just one or the other. H/light needed readjusting upwards.

Are there any additional modifications to carry out ? eg mudgaurd (front and rear)

Front wheel being 17" means that the std mudguard looks a little odd. Replacement one's are available from www.Fallert.com in Germany which look great. Rear wheel options mean that the 17" wheels don't look right with the silly low POS mounted on the hub. I got the 18" one which fits fine.

Does it have any effect on the side or center stand settings?

None detrimental. Obviously, the bike leans less on the s/stand & has to rise more onto the c/stand but these are not really noticeable.

Any other `i wish i knew that before i did the conversion` information that could be important.

I wish I'd done it earlier......:D
Try to get R series wheels rather than K series for the speedo drive fitment. R1150R/RS/RT rims give 17" F&R sizes & take the same brake discs & ABS rings from the GS wheels. R1100R/RS/RT wheels need the R1100 brake discs so can cost less for the wheels but, overall, cost more because of the extras needed.

I paid £175 for F&R R1100 wheels & £150 for discs. Tyres were extra, but usually are anyway - £160 for BT020's.

HTH, YMMV :rolleyes:

Sorry - meant to put this on the bottom:

Attachments

• dscf0034.jpg
    dscf0034.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 10,761
Jam

I'm not clear if you are looking for alloy wheels or street tyres or both.

If you're just looking for alloy wheels for the aesthetic value, I would suggest that you wait a few months until someone has written off a R1200GS. It looks like the front wheel at least will be a direct replacement. The rear, with its 5 bolt fixing, may be a different matter!

Greg

Jam,
You can have mine for £400 with tyres Avon Rain Pro Extreme.
180 on the rear with 5.5'' rim. Front comes with speedo drive.

Attachments

• bike pic 9.jpg
    bike pic 9.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 9,285
okey dokey..........

Prop,

I am very very interested mate.

HAve you a side shot of the bike please......

Can i assume that these will also fit my 1100...........

What bike are your wheels of?

:beerjug:

Jam

PS
Prop put my name on em for now i just need to get confirmation on fitment etc etc

Prop

What screen do you have fitted on that pic? Any chance of another full frontal shot please? :D

http://www.fgautron.com/gallery/bikes/BMWR1150R[/IMG]

is it these wheels?

they look black? is that right?

as for the tyres........what about the metzlers , i did nt think you liked the Avons `cos they were to scary in the wet`

Jam

BMWR1150R

http://www.fgautron.com/gallery/bikes/BMWR1150R[/IMG]

Prop's screen is an MRA 2-piece with the top piece left off.

Hmmm - does it work Mr Prop ?

Alex B

Alloy wheels

Jam

I am curently in the process of fitting cast wheels from a K1200 RS to my 1100GS. I am awaiting a spacer or three from my BMW dealer before I can complete. When I have all the bits, I will put together a 'how-to' file, complete with pictures/instructions etc and post it up here. Hopefully it should clarify a few things (even in my own mind !!).
Only problem I have is the fact that I will lose my speedo drive but there are ways around this - eg buying a cheap digital bicycle speedo instead.

Ferg

The facts about cast wheels on GS,s

FRONT WHEEL
The best ones to get are rockster or r1150 items. These fit right on, you. to get the speede accurate you will need the appropriate speedo drive. Other 10 spokes have no speedo drive, They can be machined to accomodate one.

If using bicycle speedo you will need to make a spacer to take up the space previously filled by the speedo drive
This needs to be accurate in length or the brakes will bind.
I used a ground down 17mm,socket. You will also need a grease seal. I used one from a washing machine, but if you go to a bearing supplier with your bearing and spacer, they will have one to fit

Existing front brake discs fit all these 10 spoke front wheels
They do not fit on 3 spoke wheels from 1100r

Bicycle speedo sensor magnet do not fit anywhere, what to do is to get a slim bit of magnet, glue it to a very thin strip of stainless and use a disc bolt to retain it,
alternatively, if you can magnetize a disc bolt, this will do.

To regain the height lost by using a smaller wheel, use 1/4 inch of washers under the top suspension mount. This gives about 3/4 rise at the front of the wishbone.

REAR WHEEL
1100s, rockstar, 1150r, 10 spoke wheels fit right on with no mods.
EXCEPT.... on my 1100 the bolts were the right length, on the 1150, I had to put a 1/8 inch washer under the cones as they were slightly too long.
Existing disc fits.
K12 rear wheels do not have the disc attatched to the wheel. On the K12, the disc is attatched to the drive gear.
If you are fitting a K12 wheel you will need a K12 disc and bolts to attatch it to drive box.
5" wheels take a 170 tyre. 5 and a half inch wheels take a 180 tyre. No clearance problems.

I dont know about rear 3 spokers.

EFFECT, Steering is slightly quicker, but not into tank slapper territory.
Ride seems to be smoother due to lack of knobbles presumably.

Although they quicken the steering, there is a noticable difference when flicking the bike around. It sort of feels heavier and a bit more ponderous. Its hard to describe this , but is obviously due to the wider back tyre.

OVERALL, Looks better to most folk, Better handling on road, makes it useless on the dirt.

I hope this has been useful to anyone considering this modification. There seems to be a lot of confusion about how to do it.

WHEELS

Sounds like some real dodgy spanner work been done here.
You used a ground down 17mm socket for a wheel spacer,then you say you packed the rear wheel bolts out with washers.Why not use the spacer from the S which goes straight on and 55mm bolts from the S which are the correct length and available for peanuts from bmw bike breakers.I would definetly keep an eye your back wheel or get the proper bolts.I would not want to a thread titled MY BACK WHEEL FELL OFF TODAY.Andy

bike speedo

I use a sigma 1200,but the magnet supplied is a bit flimsy.The best magnet to use is one from one of those things you can get from the pound shop on the end of flixi spring,like you use to pick up nuts if you drop them in inacessable place,they are very strong and about as big as a jelly tot I just used a small drop of araldite that was three years ago and it has not moved.I found that it does not have to be set so near the pick up sensor as it's a stronger magnet it gives you little more scope as to where you fit your pickup.Andy

Jam,
The wheels I bought new from Motorworks they are for an 1150r. When I bought the adv, I had them powder coated anthracite. The rear does come with new bolts as they are a different length.
The screen is an mra It works fine without the top half. The panel behind that is a carbon fibre one from motorworks which I cut down to the same size as the original.
Yes the Avons you see on the pictures I didn't like they slid a lot in the wet. I then tried Metzlers which were fine. I then got some Avon road legal wets which you can have with the wheels.
I don't have many pictures but will try and post what I have.
In a few days I will make a list of all the gear what I am selling and post it.
Prop

Attachments

• bike pic 8.jpg
    bike pic 8.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 9,135
Not sure how to post numerous photos. So here is another.

Attachments

• bike pic 3.jpg
    bike pic 3.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 8,926
Wheels

Hi Prop,
If Jam doesn't have your wheels, drop me a line, IF they will fit an 98 1100.

They look cool:cool: :cool: :cool:

Gary.

Sorry Andy missed that :

prop,what model pro tapers do you have fitted with your ricky risers?Andy

They are Windham MX Pro. The picture shows them with the high risers but I now have the lowest version on which are more comfortable for me.

I pick a 1200gs up soon so I am just putting it back to std and selling the bits.

Prop

Here's mine,seems to be getting a popular mod.In black of course the best colour.Andy

Attachments

• dsc00248.jpg
    dsc00248.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 3,309

Back
Top Bottom