Advanced Riding

"... with superhuman observation and anticipation you should never have to stop apart from at the end of your journey."
You'd have to think that Dreamer made that comment with his tongue firmly in his cheek.
Mods: can we have a "tongue in cheek" smiley please? For the avoidance of doubt, as the lawyers say. ;)

karlp said:
Not absolutely correct - a STOP sign means STOP - can actually get done for not observing the sign
Mods: can we have a "pedantic tosser" smiley please? :D

PS: Peak Rider - I agree with all your comments... :thumb2

Acturley, the "Hendon Shuffle" is frowned upon in IAM circles, they prefer 'right foot down and into neutral' always. :rob :rob :rob

I alternate depending on how long I intend to stop for... that confused 'em! ;)

But AdamA is right (for once)... with superhuman observation and anticipation you should never have to stop apart from at the end of your journey. :D

It's all circumstance dependant:bow

Stopping with the right foot down means you have no control over your rear brake (better used for stability at lower speeds) which can give you the front end bounce:bounce1 when you come to a stop. Now doesn't that look good?:tosser

An advanced rider should always be planning and looking ahead (prepare to stop, look for go)

In honesty I prefer the left foot down and the 'Hendon shuffle' it looks more controlled, considered and deliberate, should the worst happen and you need to stop then you have both brakes to use, which as we all know is the most effective way of braking.:eh

Stopping with the right foot down means you have no control over your rear brake (better used for stability at lower speeds) which can give you the front end bounce:bounce1 when you come to a stop. Now doesn't that look good?:tosser

No.
Hence you should use tapered braking, so you get no "bounce" and you can put whichever foot is required by the conditions down.

lowsiding

here's a question that bothers me for a while, at least since I've notice that my front tyre "ends", when turning, sooner that the rear. Some say that my driving is wrong and that I would finally find my self lying on the road from lowsiding.... I say that, I don't know...

The tyres are the Pirelli Scorpion trail and the bike is an ADV 1200
whats your opinion on this ?

I was a demonstration driver for the institute of advanced motorists for a couple of years, had to give it up due to time constraints. Recently went out with the advanced motorcyclists for an observed ride and was amazed to be told at the end that I only needed to work on a couple of areas to pass. One being speed (I kept to the limits), I was told that you are expected to make progress, so a national speed limit didn't necessarily mean sticking to 60 or 70 and the other being, cutting corners instead of following the road when you can see that no one else will need that bit of road. I agree with the latter but I have to say that after being involved in a fatal accident 20 or more years ago, I have become analy retentive about speed limits, if something happens and you were speeding, how could you live with yourself, the Police told me I would never drive again because they thought I was speeding, turns out I was at least 10mph short of the maximum, which saved my career and licence and sanity etc, etc. Is ROSPA the same, I know how to make progress and there aren't many people that can beat me point to point without speeding or using the wrong lanes etc, it just concerns me that these so called experts expect us to break the law to pass a test (wouldn't stand up in court).

Danny

here's a question that bothers me for a while, at least since I've notice that my front tyre "ends", when turning, sooner that the rear. Some say that my driving is wrong and that I would finally find my self lying on the road from lowsiding.... I say that, I don't know...

The tyres are the Pirelli Scorpion trail and the bike is an ADV 1200
whats your opinion on this ?

Do you mean the front tyre gets 'to the edge' before the back does?

Andres

I was a demonstration driver for the institute of advanced motorists for a couple of years, had to give it up due to time constraints. Recently went out with the advanced motorcyclists for an observed ride and was amazed to be told at the end that I only needed to work on a couple of areas to pass. One being speed (I kept to the limits), I was told that you are expected to make progress, so a national speed limit didn't necessarily mean sticking to 60 or 70 and the other being, cutting corners instead of following the road when you can see that no one else will need that bit of road. I agree with the latter but I have to say that after being involved in a fatal accident 20 or more years ago, I have become analy retentive about speed limits, if something happens and you were speeding, how could you live with yourself, the Police told me I would never drive again because they thought I was speeding, turns out I was at least 10mph short of the maximum, which saved my career and licence and sanity etc, etc. Is ROSPA the same, I know how to make progress and there aren't many people that can beat me point to point without speeding or using the wrong lanes etc, it just concerns me that these so called experts expect us to break the law to pass a test (wouldn't stand up in court).

Danny

The speed thing is down to the guy observing you. The official line from IAM and RoSPA is the speed limit is the speed limit.

The best advance rider trainer in the UK is without doubt ... MIKE WAITE.

Unfortunately he has retired :(

Others are just variation of IAM. i.e they observe then sit you down afterwards and talk "textbook" stuff.

Mike actually shows and teach you whilst you are riding. I think the others are all frightened the student will get into troube and get sued. But Mike is that good that he could give me live tuition even for a numpty like me. One year he was not available and I was taught by one of his "top" students and she was bloody good.

Get the video/DVD ... www.mikewaite.co.uk

If you listen to MW yes.

There is some discussion of him/his vids here:
http://www.therevcounter.com/staying-alive/24841-mike-waite-free-vids.html

Well .. I have tried the local IAM group (one of the top rated ones, thames vale or thames valley) .. and Rapid Training (big up from the bike mags) and Mike.

The only guy that really made massive improvement to my riding was Mike.

His Vid is a bit bland I give you that. My recommendation was really if you can get Mike back on a bike to teach you then DO IT!

If you ever had him teach you one on one then you would know the difference.

Paid more for Rapid but the guy was miles crappier than Mike.

Well .. I have tried the local IAM group (one of the top rated ones, thames vale or thames valley) .. and Rapid Training (big up from the bike mags) and Mike.

The only guy that really made massive improvement to my riding was Mike. Reading someone slagging off his vid by someone who thinks they are a Valentino Rossi doesn't really make as convincing evidence to me :nenau

His Vid is a bit bland I give you that. My recommendation was really if you can get Mike back on a bike to teach you then DO IT!

If you ever had him teach you one on one then you would know the difference.

Paid more for Rapid but the guy was miles crappier than Mike.
None of which makes him the best (ex)advance rider trainer in the UK without doubt, just the best of the three you have used.

And if you pulled your head out it's blinkers for a couple of seconds you would see:
a) he wasn't getting a slagging in that thread, just having a couple of points picked up on. None of us are perfect.
and b) there are none who believe themselves to be VR, but plenty who are advanced instructors and professional advanced riders/drivers.

oh yes !!! it does and when you look at it believe me, it's scary !!!

Try opening the throttle more when cornering.
Using more front than rear is generally a sign of cornering on a trailing throttle (itself often a symptom of rushing into a corner too fast so try slowing a little more before you turn in and then drive through the corner).

Try opening the throttle more when cornering.
Using more front than rear is generally a sign of cornering on a trailing throttle (itself often a symptom of rushing into a corner too fast so try slowing a little more before you turn in and then drive through the corner).

thanks mate

tell me something though, what do you mean by trailing throttle ?

None of which makes him the best (ex)advance rider trainer in the UK without doubt, just the best of the three you have used.

And if you pulled your head out it's blinkers for a couple of seconds you would see:
a) he wasn't getting a slagging in that thread, just having a couple of points picked up on. None of us are perfect.
and b) there are none who believe themselves to be VR, but plenty who are advanced instructors and professional advanced riders/drivers.

I take you point about the sample size being only 3 :thumb2

I also like to highlight that you have never experienced the teaching experience by Mike so you really don't know what it is like. So you are as blinkered as I am. :aidan

If you only experience is from his video clips then I can tell you that it is far superior in real life than it is on video. However as an aide memoir of his teaching experience, it is really good. As you get "taken back" to the experience.

thanks mate

tell me something though, what do you mean by trailing throttle ?

A closed throttle (or not open enough).

A bike in this condition compresses the forks (and tyre for that matter) as the weight is moved onto the front wheel.
The ideal condition is enough throttle to give even weight distribution front and rear. You generally get this when there is enough throttle to drive the bike through the corner. A little too much throttle is better than a too little.

Back
Top Bottom