Advanced Riding

Making progress simply means not dawdling or missing opportunities to go when traffic in front is slowing you down.

Some people incorrectly interpret that as riding as fast as it is safe to go in a national speed limit, regardless of the legality of it.

The official line is stick to the speed limits at all times, especially if you are on an observed ride or on a test.

The unofficial line is, you are a big boy make up your own mind. Most tend to stick to (most) posted limits and then whatever they consider to be safe in the NSL.

As a current Police class 1 advanced and pursuit driver, I'd tend to agree with this post, it does show the common sense approach. The only thing I'd like to add, if I may, is ALWAYS observe posted lower limits, without exception, and save progress for the NSL's, where the advice above I think is good.

over the last few years i have done bikesafe twice (second one was a freebee organised from work), also did rapid training which was brilliant i learnt more in one day than i have for a few years a couple of times the instructor said follow me the pace and the overtaking coming out of slow corners was jaw dropping smooth and i was struggling to keep up i would like to do the three day course they run in wales as i did it in the southeast a bit too crowded to do it justice but money well spent.
BTW whats the difference between i.a.m and RoSPA:confused:

RoSPA, IAM, Speed Limits.

In relation to the IAM and ROSPA, the examiners are looking for a safe and progressive ride which from behind shows the rider is showing where and when he or she is looking. If that means stopping then so be it, if it means flitering again so be it. As long as the rider and other road users are safe then good. In relation to the speed issue, if the assessed rider goes over the limit then this is simple, he is breaking the limit and could get a fixxie from plod. The term i give to the student being assessed is "You have an off and an on, its called the throttle". If you over take a vehicle in front to make progress and go over the limit and a plod is down the road with a speed device then hard luck, you should have considered restraint.
Dead simple really. However, the whole test is taken on its entirety and is not like a school exam where you have to tick every box with a yes or a no. The examiner will look at the whole ride and will always accept discrepencies in the ride as things happen which cannot be accounted for. The long shot of it is, ride well and show the examiner you aint got any bad habits, stick within the constraints of the law and you should walk away with in RoSPA anyway, Bronze, Silver or Gold.

Eggsy (RoSPA) Examiner, and Diploma holder.:thumb

I was a demonstration driver for the institute of advanced motorists for a couple of years, had to give it up due to time constraints. Recently went out with the advanced motorcyclists for an observed ride and was amazed to be told at the end that I only needed to work on a couple of areas to pass. One being speed (I kept to the limits), I was told that you are expected to make progress, so a national speed limit didn't necessarily mean sticking to 60 or 70 and the other being, cutting corners instead of following the road when you can see that no one else will need that bit of road. I agree with the latter but I have to say that after being involved in a fatal accident 20 or more years ago, I have become analy retentive about speed limits, if something happens and you were speeding, how could you live with yourself, the Police told me I would never drive again because they thought I was speeding, turns out I was at least 10mph short of the maximum, which saved my career and licence and sanity etc, etc. Is ROSPA the same, I know how to make progress and there aren't many people that can beat me point to point without speeding or using the wrong lanes etc, it just concerns me that these so called experts expect us to break the law to pass a test (wouldn't stand up in court).

Danny

The only thing I'd like to add, if I may, is ALWAYS observe posted lower limits, without exception, and save progress for the NSL's, where the advice above I think is good.

I agree with the caveat that there is no rule that ALWAYS works in all situations, so each situation needs to be judged on it's merits or lack thereof.
I could show you one of any number of 40/50 limits (mainly in Oxfordshire) where there is absolutely no need whatsoever for them to be there other than the local councils attempts to make all country roads a lower than NSL limit.
On the those roads they can poke it if they think I am sticking rigidly to the posted limits.
Unfortunately posted limits aren't always set according to the hazards there.

Back
Top Bottom