Advanced Riding

Peak Rider

Reaction score
If anyone wants to discuss aspects of advanced riding I'll be happy to keep watch on this part of the Forum and do my best to respond. I'm a RoSPA Advanced Riding Instructor with over 35 years of riding experience and operate Peak Rider Training Ltd. out of Macclesfield in Cheshire. I'm also on the DSA's Register of Post-test Motorcycle Trainers for the Enhanced Riding Scheme.

Some of you in the Northwest may remember me from my time in bike sales at Blue Bell Crewe in late 2004 and early 2005. I don't pretend to know it all and until I can ride like a combination of Valentino Rossi and World Enduro Champ David Knight there may be something left to learn. My 2005 1200GS just seems to get better and better with miles but it was an 1150GS before that which really opened up a whole chapter of two-wheeled enjoyment.

At any rate I hope I can be of service.

Cheers,

Mike Moloney

www.peakridertraining.com

Edited to correct address :mod

Taking your what? ERS, IAM or RoSPA? They're all pretty much based on Roadcraft but what you need to achieve will be different.

Well, I've just joined RoSPA (Thames Valley Branch) having done my IAM test in Jan this year.

What sort of differences are RoSPA going to be looking for vs the IAM chaps then?

Oops. Stubby little fingers are typing too fast again. Thanks for the correction of the web address. http://www.peakridertraining.com/ is correct.

Re: IAM v RoSPA. A RoSPA test is a higher level than an IAM test. Not only are you expected to "make good progess" using The System and the principles of Roadcraft but you will need to demonstrate that you are actively planning your progress at every stage of your ride. The line between restraint and progress becomes much finer. An examiner will look for your positioning and speed to be nigh on perfect at all times for a Gold level pass. The examiner will almost certainly look for safe and effective filtering. Every turn of your head for observation will be duly noted. They are looking for visual evidence that every move is considered. If you've ever watched a well-ridden police bike slip effortlessly through traffic without causing other road users to alter speed or position then that's the kind of riding they want to see. There should also be a written test, not too long, based on Roadcraft and the Highway Code, with some multiple choice questions and some which require a written answer. They may want to see a POWER check or equivalent and it will earn you kudos if you know how to do a good one and introduce it yourself. Finally, RoSPA demands a re-test every three years, even for instructors, so there's good incentive to keep your skills and knowledge sharp.

Which foot should I put down when stopping?.....:)

:p:p:p:p

oh how i love doing the "Advanced foot shuffle" at every junction:D

the Green Sticka on my windscreen sez i have ta!

how much

oh how i love doing the "Advanced foot shuffle" at every junction:D

the Green Sticka on my windscreen sez i have ta!

Acturley, the "Hendon Shuffle" is frowned upon in IAM circles, they prefer 'right foot down and into neutral' always. :rob :rob :rob

I alternate depending on how long I intend to stop for... that confused 'em! ;)

But AdamA is right (for once)... with superhuman observation and anticipation you should never have to stop apart from at the end of your journey. :D

Acturley, the "Hendon Shuffle" is frowned upon in IAM circles, they prefer 'right foot down and into neutral' always. :rob :rob :rob
I didn't mention the IAM.
IAM does not equal advanced rider.
An advanced rider may well have done the IAM test tho.

I didn't mention the IAM.
IAM does not equal advanced rider.
An advanced rider may well have done the IAM test tho.

I didn't say you did :p I was referring to How Much's post, which inferred IAM by referring to green sticker. :handbag

Got my IAM mock in the next week but I agree with the comments about the foot shuffling business. I was thinking the other day that the IAM badge is a triangle with I at the top and AM below it - I AM! Shouldn't it really be upside down - AM I? which promotes the thought that you are always questioning yourself rather than assuming you know everything?

Just an idle thought....

But AdamA is right (for once)... with superhuman observation and anticipation you should never have to stop apart from at the end of your journey. :D[/QUOTE said:
Not absolutely correct - a STOP sign means STOP - can actually get done for not observing the sign.:)

"... with superhuman observation and anticipation you should never have to stop apart from at the end of your journey."

You'd have to think that Dreamer made that comment with his tongue firmly in his cheek. And you'd have to believe there is a bit more to advanced riding than which foot to use at a stop. In fact during the entire time of my RoSPA training and tests I don't recall the subject being raised. The sensible solution is to use whichever foot gives you the most stability at the time and leaves you in best control of the bike given the situation, i.e., traffic, hills, etc. If you're a short-arse like me -where sometimes the depth of truck ruts can make a difference -shuffling can sometimes be a bit awkward and time-consuming when there are more important things to concentrate on. If the panniers are loaded and the missus on board then for me it's sometimes both feet down at a stop.

In all fairness advanced riding is a somewhat subjective term. To a new rider coming from their DAS it can mean simply learning the basics of the System in regards to positioning, speed and gear. At RoSPA level it's a flowing precision ride. To Casey Stoner it's the search for that last smidgeon of elusive front end grip.

Back
Top Bottom