Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Scotland 2009

Quote Originally Posted by The Dogs nuts! View Post
    Now I'll need to do the whole thing again

It'll keep you oot the pub

Hi Dakar,
    im a new here and it´s nice to see here someone who is just behind the corner. I loves to go to scotland....
    Martin

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Martas View Post
    Hi Dakar,
    im a new here and it´s nice to see here someone who is just behind the corner. I loves to go to scotland....
    Martin

Wecome to the site and the world of tossers
    Great bunch of people.
    If it all works out and i`m going, i`m sure we can hook up on route

Charlie
    Good luck with the 2nd attempt

The Route

Ok everyone I’ll try this again!!!

For everyone interested in this wee trip here is the head’s up!

I’ve planned what I feel is a good route to ride around this bonnie country, not only to achieve the goal of reaching the 4 compass points in Scotland, but also to see a bit more interesting stuff too. My plan now is to email it off to a couple of friends of mine who are veterans when it comes to exploring Scotland and get their take on it, hopefully they will add and alter the route a little to give us the benefit of better/more fun roads etc.

Once the route has been tweaked about ill then think about which accommodation we will need and where. This might vary from camping, to hostels, to B&B. The accommodation will also be influenced by how many are going and their preferences so a better idea of who is defo up for it would be good, although I realise it is early days and 6 whole months away even an indication of how many feel that they would definitely want to go and will most probably make it happen would be helpful!

The trip date can be moved a few of days either way again depending on who and how many need to change it. The reason this particular date has been chosen is because Scotland has had absolutely gorgeous weather over the last few years at around this time, even more so than our Summer’s weather, also it’s Spring and Scotland is bloody gobsmackingly beautiful then. It also kicks the years tours off on a high note and gets everyone interested and motivated to do more….which brings me to my next subject!

I will be organising another tour for June 2009 but this time in Ireland (most probably a long weekend in Northern Ireland but not decided yet), and later in the season a tour around Southern Ireland. Hopefully, and all going well this will lead onto later trips (the next year probably) in Wales and England. They will most likely all have a similar goal with compass points just to give them a focus and will undoubtedly be for charity.

Anyway without further ado here is roughly what I have planned for Scotland:

I’m thinking that the starting rally point will be the Green Welly shop at Tyndrum, we will finish up here also. It may not suit everybody so we can arrange rendezvous points on route to our first destination;

The first destination is Cairngaan (A716) in the Mull of Galloway which is at the most Southern point of mainland Scotland. Once here we have to head back up the A716 onto the A75 via the B7084 towards Newton Stewart where we then take the A712 to New Galloway.

Then down the A713 to Castle Douglas we head off to Dumfries either by taking the A711 through Beeswing or by going right around the A710 through Mainsriddle and then New Abbey.

From Dumfries we travel up the A701 through Moffat, passing Glenbreck, through Stobo and up to Peebles.

On to the A703 and then the A6094 we arrive at Roslin where hopefully we can check out the chapel if anyone is up for it!

After that we pretty much head to South Queensferry where we cross the Firth of Forth over to North Queensferry and into Fife. We’ll come off the A9 and travel along the A92 and A915 to Lower Largo where we change to the B942 to Crail following the coast around to St Andrews. Then up the A914 to Dundee.

From Dundee it’s straight up the A9 all the way up till we turn off onto the B974 towards Fettercairn, up past the Bridge of Dye, through Strachan to Banchory where we jump across the A980 to another B road the B977 which changes to the B979 and which takes us up to the A96.

I’m getting to detailed I think!!! We go up the A90 to Peterhead there. This is our most eastern compass point by the way!!

From Peterhead we head towards Banff along the A98 where we head along the coast to Elgin. I rode this road last weekend and it is a cracking run. We can stop off at the Baxters factory and pick up some soup supplies for the journey!!

From Elgin it’s along to Nairn (might visit Fort George and Culloden Battlefield and visitor centre on-route depending on interest) and Inverness (could get pissed here if it lands on the end of a day).

Then all the way up the A9 we go to Latheron where we continue up along the coast on the A99 right up to John O Groats and along to Dunnet Head which is the furthest Northern Point and our third map point!

After that we ride right along the top to a place called Tongue (just so I can get a sticker for my panniers that says ‘I Love Tongue’) and through to Durness. It would be nice I think to pick our way up to Cape Wrath while we are that far north!

Right now we’re on the West Coast with loads of wee windy roads. We head down towards Scourie , down the A894 until we turn off on the A837 towards Lochinver and then down to Achiltibuie (where you phone everyone you know and say ‘Guess where I am?’ and they say ‘Where…?’ and you reply ‘Achiltibuie’ and they say ‘Achiltibloodywhatie’)!

From Achiltibuie its down to Ullapool, down the A835 until we double back almost on the A832 all the way around past Kerrysdale to Kinlochewe where we change to the A896 following that round the (not for the faint hearted) Applecross road to Loch Carron. Around Loch Carron we head to the Kyle of Lochalsh where we cross over to Skye.

A day on Skye I think (much drink at Portree), then the ferry to Mallaig where we ride around Arisaig and past Lochailort then along the A861 we turn off just before Salen onto the B8007 and ride along to Ardnamurchan Point which is our fourth and final compass point on the furthest Western mainland point of Scotland. Yee har!!

Not finished yet (unless you want to start building houses and eating the dead we head back up to the Corran Ferry where we cross over and head towards Fort William, down through Glencoe and back to the Green Welly shop for Scones and Tea!!!

My arse is sore at the thought of it!!!

Don’t think I missed anything and like I said before it needs tweaked.

Go on get yer name doon.onyack

ooh ya cnut thats a lot to read

Glad I've got a gel seat.

How many days?

I'm up for it, work depending- it's too far away for me to know yet

Quote Originally Posted by Dakar View Post
    Wecome to the site and the world of tossers
    Great bunch of people.
    If it all works out and i`m going, i`m sure we can hook up on route

Charlie
    Good luck with the 2nd attempt
    Anytime,anywhere....

Quote Originally Posted by wully View Post
    Glad I've got a gel seat.

How many days?

I'm up for it, work depending- it's too far away for me to know yet

It's just under 1400miles mate, like you said before, it sounds like a long way but really isn't!

The original idea was to do it over 4 days, but i'm thinking if you give some time to actually enjoy it, take pics, see things, and allow for hangovers!!! More like a week.

That sound reasonable

I'll get a rough idea over the next wee while how many people coming along, will need commitment by January at the latest I think cause I'll need to get sponsor forms out to everyone, and collecting sponsors might be slow after Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by The Dogs nuts! View Post
    It's just under 1400miles mate, like you said before, it sounds like a long way but really isn't!

The original idea was to do it over 4 days, but i'm thinking if you give some time to actually enjoy it, take pics, see things, and allow for hangovers!!! More like a week.

That sound reasonable

I'll get a rough idea over the next wee while how many people coming along, will need commitment by January at the latest I think cause I'll need to get sponsor forms out to everyone, and collecting sponsors might be slow after Christmas
    Add me to the list subject to final confirmation by January

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Add me to the list subject to final confirmation by January
    No bother Thunder, if you pm me I can stick your message in the appropriate folder and keep you updated!

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Charlie

Count me in.... PM sent
    Looking forward to it

Definately count me in! (Like the way this is evolving from camping to maybe B&B!!)

My ?r?e will have

http://www.durness.org/cape%20wrath.htm

Cape Wrath website if anyone wants a gander!

As Sethmopp says, there is a decent campsite on Thurso front. It's handy for the town centre, but hardly inspiring.

There's a decent campsite in John O'Groats and a few good B+B's there too. The local hotel is the Seaview, I've had some good nights in there and they're used to catering for bikers plus the locals are a friendly bunch.
    They semi-host the 'Wildcat' rally once a year that runs in JOG.

It's worth pointing out that John O'Groats isn't the most northerly point, that honour falls to Dunnet Head (about 15 miles away), so to do it properly you need to detour up there. JOG is the furthest point by road from Lands' End.

Me missis runs the 'Last House in Scotland' Shop & Museum in JOG and I run the local taxi firm - (KPH Taxis 01955 631444)- so if you need any info or if any of you guys have problems with the bikes whilst in the area - give me a buzz and I'll make sure you get sorted out.

Keep me posted, I won't be able to take part due to work - but it would be nice to meet up for an hour or so.

K.

Nice one Klanky. Think we'll defo manage a wee rendezvous when we're up there, you can point us on the right road to the stacks.

Charlie

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast