Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Scotland 2009

Quote Originally Posted by The Dogs nuts! View Post
    Nice one Klanky. Think we'll defo manage a wee rendezvous when we're up there, you can point us on the right road to the stacks.

Charlie
    No problem.

As you come into JOG on the A99 from Wick and all points South, you'll drop down Warth Hill (stunning views of the Pentland Firth and Orkney) into the village. When you get to the Post Office/General Store/Petrol, you'll see a road on your right that says 'Duncansby Head' - it's the only road on the right so you can't miss it.

Go up here for about 1 1/2 miles to Duncansby lighthouse and park up in the carpark. Facing the lighthouse, walk to the right of it (if you walk to the left, wear your crash helmet as you are going to fall off the cliff) and follow the path along the cliff top.

It's about 15 minutes easy walk on the cliffs to the Stacks and well worth the effort.
    The beginning of May sees the start of the breeding season for birds, so you should see Puffins, Guillemots, Razorbills, Kittiwakes, Shitehawks and Sea Skuas on the cliffs. Plus grey seals around the Stacks if it's not blowing an easterly.
    Keep yer eyes open for Minke whale and the odd Orca or dolphin out to sea.
    Last edited by Klanky; 17-10-08 at 19:42. Reason: added a bit more

Sounds good to me - Err My right hand has the thumb on the inside.......?

The beginning of May sees the start of the breeding season for birds, so you should see Puffins, Guillemots, Razorbills, Kittiwakes, Shitehawks and Sea Skuas on the cliffs. Plus grey seals around the Stacks if it's not blowing an easterly.
    Keep yer eyes open for Minke whale and the odd Orca or dolphin out to sea.
    Never seen Shitehawks.....are they not as good as other hawks

Looking forward to it already

I emailed off some tourist woman at the cape who unfortunately thinks that there are military exercises on at that time of year. She is going to find out for definate and get back to me so I will keep you all informed.

Charlie

c'mon...someone was bound to say it!!!

Yup, getting to Cape Wrath can be hit or miss. The whole area is owned by the MOD and is the only place in Europe where they have the space to drop live 1000lb bombs

If you can get access, you can't get your bike across anyway. The only way is to take the ferry (read Orkney 18ft glassfibre fishing boat) and then there is a minibus on the opposite side that will take you to the point and lighthouse. The old boy that does the minibus is a good laugh and drives like something possessed.

It's well worth the effort if you have time.

http://www.capewrath.org.uk/Introduction.htm

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Sounding better all the time....... (Except for the live bomb & the shitehawk, or are they related)

Rowan

Im in

Would love to join you all, ive got a half term in may and no flexibility. Any dates confrimed as Yet?
    R

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Put me down as a potential (Subject to kids half term holidays)

Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Would love to join you all, ive got a half term in may and no flexibility. Any dates confrimed as Yet?
    R
    Sorry for the delay in replying...just back my hols

The date is the 24th April 2009 for approx a week, this can move a couple of days either way but thats it i'm afraid....hope that helps

You'll be passing my door as you come through Fettercairn so I will get the kettle on if you need a bew before you head over the Cairn 'O' Mount.

If I'm home that is!!

Rowan

Thanks Dogs

Thanks for the dates mate, im off in the weeks before that and back to work on the 21st it seems. I will watch with anticipation and may get a lap in before you go. cheers Rowan

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan Terror View Post
    You'll be passing my door as you come through Fettercairn so I will get the kettle on if you need a bew before you head over the Cairn 'O' Mount.

If I'm home that is!!

Two words:

Jaffa

Cakes

Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Thanks for the dates mate, im off in the weeks before that and back to work on the 21st it seems. I will watch with anticipation and may get a lap in before you go. cheers Rowan
    Sorry you won't be able to make it Rowan....you never know what might happen between now and then right enough....someone might swap days off for you In failing that, you could always meet up for a brew at the Tartan Terrors house....I believe there will be Jaffa Cakes

Did someone say Jaffa Cakes!!!

Sorry for my recent absence Charlie, had a lot on at work. All my exams/tests etc. now finished!

Should be OK for 29th April, but will finally confirm at the start of January.

Looking forward to it already, especially the North East as I havn't been there for a while. Have a few contacts for B&B in Fortwilliam and Ullapool if that helps.

Hi all
    Complete stranger here - is this open to anyone as I quite fancy a ride round Scotland on my GSA?
    I was only thinking the other day that I must plan a trip up that way next year.
    Cheers
    Rob

Deleted account rno
    I'm 2 miles from Lower Largo (in the Fife part of your route) and in fact, you'll ride past my house (well 400 yards north of it) so it would be amiss of me not to invite yous to stop off at Schloss Ronno for coffee and biscuits (just a Rich Tea one mind you)

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast