Scotland 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
b'coz I'm a scubadiver as well so i know how is to dive with large group and believe me it is not easy :blast I've not many experiences with riding in so large group but think that droop off and buddy system could be work,or few smaller groups but keep together as much as possible :rob
Anyway 45 days left :D

Buddy or Drop

charlie,

as DAZ said, i think a mixture of both might be the best solution:thumb
as there's almost 20 of us, we could break into groups of 3-5, if it suits the individual riders, and meet at certain times / places for lunch....

I would think to do the drop system for day 1 and then sort it out for day 2.

All depends on what people want on the days...

Just an opinion (not like me really:augie)

dave

drop-off system

The drop-off system is best suited to where you want everyone to follow a particular route. On the boreen run for instance, the whole point is to take people off the main route and onto smaller (and longer) roads, so GPS isn't very helpful. Once everyone understands how it works, it actually runs pretty smoothly.

If you don't have an exact route in mind, then the simplest is to load up your GPS with all the important waypoints (places to eat, drink, sleep, take pictures and piss) and then let everyone go in small groups each led by someone with a GPS. The whole group naturally gets together at the bigger stops.

One other problem with the drop-off system is the pace of the entire group is limited by the slowest rider. With the buddy/small groups approach, you can have different paces and it really doesn't matter. Also, people can switch groups and that's fine too.

So, for a solid week of riding, I'd be inclined to think the second scheme would work better, assuming that about half of us have GPS's (I have).

One other problem with the drop-off system is the pace of the entire group is limited by the slowest rider. With the buddy/small groups approach, you can have different paces and it really doesn't matter. Also, people can switch groups and that's fine too.

So, for a solid week of riding, I'd be inclined to think the second scheme would work better, assuming that about half of us have GPS's (I have).

I'm inclined to agree with this:thumb

Don't know about you lot but i've spent a fortune between getting the bike ready and buying new stuff this winter:eek:

I've pre-ordered a new Zumo 660:D But there is no guarantee that it will be here before the trip, i've resigned myself to the probability it won't be so it looks like the old fashioned maps for me:eek

Anyway, 6 more weeks to go:JB

Don't know about you lot but i've spent a fortune between getting the bike ready and buying new stuff this winter:eek:

I decided it would be good idea to try setting up the new tent today rather than wait until Scotland. The good news is that there'll be absolutely no problem providing we do all our camping indoors on astroturf and there's a mountain rescue team at hand to assist. :thumb

I decided it would be good idea to try setting up the new tent today rather than wait until Scotland. The good news is that there'll be absolutely no problem providing we do all our camping indoors on astroturf and there's a mountain rescue team at hand to assist. :thumb

No no... wait until Scotland's trip :D The best is to do it for first time when is raining :D and in case a mountain rescue will be busy with others i have still one room left in my tent :p
Don't have GPS yet,using Collins maps :(

A new tent for you :comfortand a new stove for me :eek..... what could go wrong ?

look like were providing the entertainment ......:D

hi all ,is it ok to tag along if i can get the time off, sound great

Hey Yicker,

Can't seem to pm you, not sure if you have opted not to receive private messages or not:nenau

Anyhow I posted the following reply to another couple of interested members which applies, here it is:

Don't see a problem at all, we still have room for 4 more on the Cape Wrath barge anyhow! Be nice to fill it, never seen a barge topple over with 20 tossers on it

Familiarise yourself with this thread and it's accompanying ones, pay particular attention to the first thread which explains the sponsor obligation, the accommodation thread which will tell you our planned stop overs (including the ones you need to book yourselves), and the cape wrath option

If you are happy that you want to commit then send me a pm with your details.

Charlie:thumb

Fcuking computers!

Fechin laptop has gone and broken on me and all my gps route is stored on it:blast

I'll try to get it fixed and pull them off of there, got this work one for contact with you all, although if I don't respond for a few days you know why.....getting closer now, only a month to go:JB

Depending on weather I plan to go for a wee camping exploit for a couple of nights at the beginning of next week (maybe Sun, prob Mon, Tue) just to see if everything works as it should and all that:D

Probably head up Glencoe or even Aviemore, Wully will post more details (probably on the Scotland site) over the weekend if it looks like a goer.

Anyways, if you want to join us keep yer eyes open:thumb

Charlie

Hiya Dogs,
Please can you put me on the confirmed list! Yehaaaa, at last got the pass stamped and time off. I've pm'd all me personals to you.

Thanks Dave

45 days....:JB:JB:JB Great!

Here's a link to the first Monty Hall episode, interestingly enough he arrived in Applecross at about the same time of year we will be travelling through it so it might give you an idea:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00j2nt6/Monty_Halls_Great_Escape_Episode_1/

After speaking with Bigdave who is another fan of the Monty Hall series on the BBC I, I thought it might be a nice idea to visit his wee croft while we are passing by his front door!

Get a picture of the bikes by the croft if we can sort of thing! What do you think:nenau Only a suggestion!

Watching the link the noo. Missed this prog when it was on the Telly. Looks a good ito me - why not:clap

Always the way

Got the bike serviced last week.... told it need new disks so agreed, and all system go:rolleyes:.
Went to collect it last week, disk didn`t arrive... no worries, call back up this week...:confused:

driving home (3 mins from the shop), bike dies... fuel pump failure....:eek::eek:

At least it happen in Ireland, and not in the highlands.:D

Should have it back next week, just in time to fit the new panniers....:thumb

just over 2 weeks to departure :beerjug::beer::clap

New Tent ordered along with a matching footprint, should arrive next week.
New dry bags from 'Overboard' arrived yesterday along with my new Stashplate/partition for the left pannier. :clap Planning, hopefully, to have a dry run the weekend befor the trip, a bit late but a chance to try the kit oot. Really starting to feel the season has started - wazzer:thumb2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom