Apple Mac Vs PC

Glad I found this thread:thumb

Got to buy a new pc and have just about decided on a iMac 20" as opposed to Dell standard pc with vista.

I`m a real idiot with computors and really liked the Mac after a demo. It`s a bit more dough but well worth it I think.

Looks great as well and just seems a lot simpler than the Dell.

I've been thinking of a mac for a while.

I do CAD using Autocad and everything else is MS office based apart from a few plc/SCADA interrogation programs I use.

To use these files would I have to buy MS Office and Auto CAD for the Mac?

I would be getting a desktop based mac so the laptop would run the plc/SCADA stuff.

Has anyone any experience of the mini mac?

Thanks

TC

run your windows stuff on your mac in Boot Camp (free), or Parallels/VMware Fusion (convenient).

Just moved across to the new 21.5" screen iMac from years of PC's :thumb

Bloody fantastic ... :thumb:thumb
:beerjug:

Mines a 21" (ish) i Mac and I wouldn't go back to a PC ;)

My daughter sprained the hinges on a nearly new macbook , got a replacement through the house insurance, got to keep the damaged one, which is now mine :D

Works fine as well....

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1RuIINeW8Iw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1RuIINeW8Iw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

made the jump about 12 years ago from PC's. sending this from a 5 year old powerbook which is brutalised every day and has traveled around the world and done countless presentations, not to mention been dropped by me more times than enough. many of the keys on the keyboard no longer have letters on them, and it's had 3 batteries...but keeps going. it will be replaced by a new macbook pro in the next month, but they seldom go wrong or need turned off, which is good as their aftersales is crap compared to Dell etc.
A mac is intuitive, a PC is not. A mac is a pleasure to use, a PC is not. A mac is, a PC is not. you decide...:thumb

Apple excel in every area except access/functionality for people with disabilities. Here, Windows excels in every way imaginable.

But video editing on a mac with Final Cut is an absolute joy for me. And the in shop support stuff that Apple do - that £70 one-to-one membership thing has been worth every penny. Assuming you live near enough to an Apple Store, that is.

Thinking of making the swap, but worried about HD video editing. Currently doing the editing on a Dell studio with top spec when bought 6 months ago, and successfully editing HD video form my Panasonic HD camcorder has been a trial and error process. Currently able to achieve good results using a combination of Nero 9 and Pinnacle Studio, having tried and discarded Photoshop Premiere Elements, and Ulead video studio.
Does anyone here use a mac laptop for hd video editing, and if so what programme. Would prefer not to have to shell out for the professional edition of final cut studio.
Any info greatly appreciated.

Still indecisive about Mac or PC.

Macbook pro 15 refurb £1449 vs Dell outlet £799

Heart says Mac ... Wallet says Dell.

Still indecisive about Mac or PC.

Macbook pro 15 refurb £1449 vs Dell outlet £799

Heart says Mac ... Wallet says Dell.
First of all, you can buy a new macbook pro at that price. Why a refurb? Secondly, the question of money is not the right question, as they are not comparable. One is entirely functional and you'll just 'use' it. The other, you'll actually use and take great pleasure in doing so. Buy cheap, buy twice. Most of my friends have had 2 PC laptops (from thinkpads to other top end PC offerings) in the time that my powerbook has served me. My experience has always been that those who end up buying a PC when ask the question from a price comparison viewpoint are coming from a PC. They've always understood the difference as being paying almost double for something that's just a little prettier. Forgive them their naivete, but they really don't understand. My advice is if you don't have the money right now, put up with what you have for however long it would take to save for the Mac, then buy it, and love it. You'll thank me :rob

Incidentally, I don't like Apple as a corporation, and as said earlier, really dislike their aftersales. I'd much rather work opensource with linux, but just can't tear myself away from OSX.

My advice is if you don't have the money right now, put up with what you have for however long it would take to save for the Mac, then buy it, and love it. You'll thank me :rob

:thumb2

As for refurb .. it's a high spec machine that would have cost £1700 :eek:

:thumb2

As for refurb .. it's a high spec machine that would have cost £1700 :eek:

my pre-unibody macbook pro 2.4GHz seems to do everything i want. i could use a bigger hard drive, but i'll just fit one cheaply myself eventually.

Back
Top Bottom