Road Ride

everywherevirtually

Reaction score
I went to Lumb farm and got there for 10am. I went to the loo for a leak and when I came out everyone had left. I asked the off-roaders where the road ride was going... nobody knew :blast

I rode along with the off-roaders (flipfly) and caught sight of the end of the road riders. Then I got caught at the lights. A minute later I caught sight of the road riders going down a country lane towards Crich. I know the area quite well and figured the most likely route to be taken.

I guessed right and still had them in sight but they were moving fast. I then lost them. :(

I stopped at a petrol station on the A6 into Matlock and saw the off-roaders again. A few seconds later a lot of the road bikes came past and when I asked them if they were the road ride they said they would be doing fords. I didn't know if this was the road group or not and the guy said to go back to the petrol station and wait... I did and no bugger turned up.

I ended up in Matlock as did a few GS1200's. They had given up trying to find / keep up with the crowd.

I think in future a rough idea of the route would be good. Perhaps with likely pit-stops and pick up points along the way where others are likely to stop in case people get separated by traffic lights etc. A PDF or even a google map link would have been good. :rob

I essentially did 150 miles of riding to catch a few fleeting glimpses of other GSer's who didn't know where anyone was going. :thedummy

Spout I think you got it in one. :thumb The same thought popped into my head when I was riding around like a blue arse fly. I thought there must have been a good reason for my avatar name and today I found that out. :moped:

I also discovered a lot of GS riders in the area who didn't know about this forum and were out on their todd

I'm back from an errr, ummmm, eventful Road Ride. I think it's fair to say that lessons have been learnt today. However it would be really unfair to lay fault with Mr Ifan as he only took over the Point when Skygod had to take over the Point on the Off Road Ride. For my part,i will be putting a few suggestions to Bryn for consideration for next year.

I'm back from an errr, ummmm, eventful Road Ride. I think it's fair to say that lessons have been learnt today. However it would be really unfair to lay fault with Mr Ifan as he only took over the Point when Skygod had to take over the Point on the Off Road Ride. For my part,i will be putting a few suggestions to Bryn for consideration for next year.

???????
What happened

PM 4 Tuned

What did happen? :nenau

I was there and for such a large group things seemed to go OK....

It doesn't want to be too organised or it would turn into a BMW club ride-out :D

What did happen? :nenau

I was there and for such a large group things seemed to go OK....

It doesn't want to be too organised or it would turn into a BMW club ride-out :D

I got a Puncture,Bryn and Wayne stopped to sort it,we got going again to find that Drop Off Corner Markers had got fed up of waiting and B"gg£r£d Off !! We had a chase round trying (and failing)to catch up.

I've never been on a "Club" Run and won't be drawn into a squabble.:D

I got a Puncture,Bryn and Wayne stopped to sort it,we got going again to find that Drop Off Corner Markers had got fed up of waiting and B"gg£r£d Off !! We had a chase round trying (and failing)to catch up.

I've never been on a "Club" Run and won't be drawn into a squabble.:D

Ahh yes I did see a couple of you at the side of the road fixing it :D

We had similar problem in the afternoon when one of the drop offs buggered off! Ended up going up and down the Cat and Fiddle with a few others.

Still.... it was a good ride and great little roads I didn't even know existed.

I'm not going to slag anyone off. All I will say is it needs to be refined for next year. A rough route map and pit stop locations is not a big request. Fairplay to Rushy he returned my call but unfortunately I had set off again and missed his call.

I didn't know you went to the Cat and Fiddle. Kind of ironic really as after me and the Mrs had lunch in Matlock Bath we went that way to get home. I passed a few 1200's on the way home and wondered whether they were alone or were part of the lost sheep of the Lumb farm group.

I saw another GSer in Wilmslow and thought that was way out of range of the Lumb farm group.

I would like the opportunity to ride with a few other forum members. So far it is proving quite difficult and the overriding impression I'm getting as a new member that it's a bit clique. I would like to be proved wrong.

:beerjug:

Hey up Sir
In defence of me mates
Gary - Skygod stepped up to the mark - when/ after I bust me foot reccying the offroad routes :thumb2
Ian Stepped up to lead a road run a Great responcablity especially with the large numbers :thumb2
By your admission
You are at the meetpoint with a full bladder and not enough fuel
There is the start of the woes for sure :thumb2

I do accept that a route plan would be an advantage but then why have a leader
It is very hard to keep hold of a large group
we will do it better next year so please turn up and dont be put off by owt you have thought you experianced :thumb2
we will try to offer more leaders or/and maybe a Garmin loadable route
Maybe a tour of riders with pillions :thumb2

Please dont get in a huff - If you want a tour of the area at almost anytime midweek ( Just wait for a few weeks for me foot to heal ) I would love to show you - or anyone - what I am very proud of ( Derbyshire and the peak district )

Mick 07817227975 :thumb2

Jon,

We'll get to meet one day :blast

Apologies that I missed your calls initially . I didn't realise you had been trying to get hold of me although it would have made little difference because I didnt know where the lunch stop was going to be. It was a pleasant surprise when we stopped just after midday at Wetton Mill. Unfortunately there was no mobile signal down there and when we left around 1 pm as we rose slowly out of the valley I could hear my phone start chiming with a few text messages but I didn't want to stop.

I only saw your message later after peeling off from the road ride early due to a prior engagement.

I think you must have seen another group of riders roaming around 'cos there was no way the road ride pace could ever be describe as 'moving too fast'. The roads for the first half were either very 'nadgery' or fairly well speed restricted and with such a large group there was a lot of 'concertinaring' . Dont think I got out of 3rd for the first hour and never saw top gear. :eek:

Big groups like that are a pain in the arse and I wholeheartedly thank those that recce'd the route it and Mr Ifan for stepping up to the plate and leading it:bow They only suggetions I would make (this goes for any event) is that the road group is maybe split into two ( either staggered departures or going in opposite directions any event ) and then as Jon pointed out maybe the lunch stop could be 'published'.

I only popped over for the road ride ,wish I could have been there all weekend , looked like a fab , brilliantly organised event.:thumb2:bow

Dave Tee , bad news 'bout the puncture mate but good to mate ya':thumb

Ian

You are at the meetpoint with a full bladder and not enough fuel
There is the start of the woes for sure :thumb2

I just have to make a correction here. I had a full bladder at 09:50 and dealt with that and was ready at 10am. I had a full tank of fuel actually. :rob When I said I stopped at the petrol station it was to talk to the off-roaders who had stopped for fuel themselves. I didn't need fuel.

I do accept that a route plan would be an advantage but then why have a leader
It is very hard to keep hold of a large group

hence why I said it would be as simple as pie to say to everyone... "if you get lost or separated we'll see you in Hope village or wherever at lunchtime"

Please dont get in a huff - If you want a tour of the area at almost anytime midweek ( Just wait for a few weeks for me foot to heal ) I would love to show you - or anyone - what I am very proud of ( Derbyshire and the peak district )

Mick 07817227975 :thumb2

I'm not in a huff :D

I just have to make a correction here. I had a full bladder at 09:50 and dealt with that and was ready at 10am.

Not wishing to turn this into a :handbag, but have you checked your watch?

I had a puncture in the morning so it was all a rush for me too... having plugged tyre, I went to garage to top up pressure & fuel, got back at 09:50, went back to tent, changed shirt, had a pee... and was still there in time to catch the briefing... which IIRC was just after 10. By the time everyone was helmeted, saddled and started, it was at least ten past...

Sorry you missed it - maybe next time :thumb

Dreamer, what briefing? Remember not all of us camped overnight? The only info I had was from the forum that said meat at Lumb farm for 10ish. I asked plenty of people where the route was going and nobody knew.

I used to work in the Alps and if we were guiding we would inform people of the area we would be covering through the day. Not an exact route as that's boring, just a rough guide with the location of the lunch stop and an afternoon bar stop. :aidan

Like I said before I'm not having a dig at anyone as I'm sure they did a smashing job leading the way. For my part I should have been there 20 minutes earlier and not had a cup of tea in the morning which meant I needed a piss. :augie

The photos coming through look great by the way :beerjug:

Just for next time... publishing the lunch location would be good.

It will mean less of this.... :wife
and more of this... :moped: + :beer:

Dreamer, what briefing?

OK, maybe briefing is putting it a bit strongly... big bloke with long beard, said "140 miles max, watch your speed, use drop of system... etc". (Pity not everyone listened! But that's another story :rolleyes: )

Anyhow, all I was saying was that you were adamant that you were ready by 10. Sorry, but you weren't, otherwise you would've seen this:

Attachments

• briefing.jpg
    briefing.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 452
Firstly, big thanks to Bryn ,Skygod, MickDB1, Ifran and anyone else who was involved in organising the rideouts on the weekend.

Would love to have stayed all day, but had to get home to the babysitting duties :D

Bryn - although I didn't camp, I'd like to put some money in the charity pot - is there a Justgiving site set up or Pm me and I'll forward you some money ?

Bit disappointed by the negative themes of the first few threads after the ride - bit out of order I think, when you take into account the amount of effort the organisers have put in. Its very easy to throw stones until you've tried it yourself and to expect the ride to wait while you mend a puncture is a big ask. Personally, I'd have mended the puncture, and caught everyone at the next stop or enjoyed the weather and scenery alone. The organisers aren't paid after all, and take on the responsibility of planning and leading the ride out of a love of bikes and the GS scene :clap

The guy who arrived late - same idea - you can't keep 150 people waiting for one person who might pitch up. Road ride starts at 10.00am get there at 9.30 :rolleyes:

The guy who arrived late - same idea - you can't keep 150 people waiting for one person who might pitch up. Road ride starts at 10.00am get there at 9.30

All I asked was that the lunch stop was published. When you cover an area of 140 miles is that really such a big request? I already pointed out that I wasn't having a dig at anyone and also made clear I'm sure they did a great job. I didn't ask or expect anyone to wait. Stop trying to paint me and others who voiced some ideas for next time as negative.

If you can't have an opinion on the forum and get berated for it then what is the point of having a forum. People get separated either by traffic or traffic lights and so it's good to give way points so that they can rejoin the group. Is that such a bad idea? Do we have to get flamed because we voice this idea? And Incidentally I didn't turn up late I turned up at the published time :spitfire

I went to Lumb farm and got there for 10am. I went to the loo for a leak and when I came out everyone had left........

And Incidentally I didn't turn up late I turned up at the published time :spitfire

Jonathan, by your own admission you arrived at 10:00 and THEN went for a leak.

The road ride was published as leaving at 10:00 prompt, as it happens it left at 10:09 and 57 seconds ;) that must have been one hell of a leak :augie

Back
Top Bottom