LEDs in handguards - like new audi cars

I've used these leds before and they are not that bright.

DSC02990.JPG

These ones are much brighter.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=36405

But remember they are about 40mm long. To long to simply drill holes in the handguards

what the feck is that?

I am in

I had asked , someone anout this very thing .
If someone is going to put this together as a ""Plug "n" Play "" i am in,

somebody say 'plug & play.:eek:
Garfield NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D

Attachments

• smlv125.jpg
    smlv125.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 724
just put some white reflective strip on yer guards.:D

if they dont see ye: driving lights,
spot light ,
head light ,
feking luminescent strip on ye jackets...

the blind twats will run into ye anyway:blast

ugg

Why not go for something aftermarket LEDindicators en make something yourself?

:thumb2

Read in Bike magazine today an article about a manufacturer that makes handguards. Theyare going to produce guards with inbuilt led strips, so they think it's a good idea.

Doesn't say if they will sell the Led strips seperately, but :rob my guess is that something will appear soon from China / Japan. Seems like there is a market for them.

just put some white reflective strip on yer guards.:D

if they dont see ye: driving lights,
spot light ,
head light ,
feking luminescent strip on ye jackets...

the blind twats will run into ye anyway:blast

ugg

like this?

I don't actually like the look of it, but its not there for style.

Attachments

• reflect.JPG
    reflect.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 522
a set of these should get you noticed:thumb2

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_E31HluCz6E&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_E31HluCz6E&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I like the ideas thrown up, but they all seem to be quite low output LEDs, the bike i saw definitely made me move over, the effect was that good!

thanks again, i've now sourced some ultra bright LEDs at 100,000 mcd's...less bling, more "i'm coming thru"

Pardon my ignorance, but if you put those LEDs in the plastic handguards, won't they melt the plastic??

(OPERATING TEMPERATURE 40ºC to 85ºC) :confused:

been on my jollies....here's my source

http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/white-100000-wide-angle-cool-white-p-1525.html

i did find a resistor calculator somewhere that day too, so it could be a cheap mod

i was thinking of drilling into the handguard to glue the leds in...

cheers

Thanks Simon! As I have said in an earlier post the LEDS you mention are 4x25,000mcds which will have a better angle of view but won't be as bright as the 40,000mcd ones that I mention.
I have one of the Nippy Norman Ledpacs that you mention and they are brighter than anything I've seen including the 10mm 100,000mcd units. They make my headlights and fogs look like bloody candles! I will be doing a write up on them as soon as I can take some decent photos. Now some of those in the handguards would be VERY impressive!

Read in Bike magazine today an article about a manufacturer that makes handguards. Theyare going to produce guards with inbuilt led strips, so they think it's a good idea.

Doesn't say if they will sell the Led strips seperately, but :rob my guess is that something will appear soon from China / Japan. Seems like there is a market for them.

I have seen somebody selling them in the US already but the LEDs are for indicators onlt and the handguards seemed to be for enduro bikes.

can't remember where I saw them though:blast

The Dutch beat ya to it ;-)

quick post just to let ya'll know the Dutch did it already :rob

here goes, i gave it a trie to translate it for ya :aidan

original topic from dutch Dabit on de GSForum Hollandaise:
http://www.bmwgsclub.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?p=428578

It's done with 2 white Luxeon K2 LED's

handkapjes_GS_ledjesaan.jpg

handkapjes_GS_allelampjesaan.jpg

But who does one acomplish this?

Take a piece of copperstrip : 120x20x1mm. You'll need copper for the LED's need cooling. Aluminium is also possible but then you need to use thermal conducting glue instead of solder in the next step

handkapjes_GS_stripkoper.jpg

Clean, heat with a burner en add a little solder. 5x5mm is suffiecient

handkapjes_GS_drupjetin.jpg

Degrease the bottomside of the LED en add a little solder, in this case S39 (does Waitrose sell that?:D), normally you dont use this with electronics but the TS didnt had anything else

Place the LED on the drop of tin, hold flame under LED and remove on the instant the solder goes liquid, very careful with heat and shocks around those LED's

handkapjes_GS_ledjeerop.jpg

be sure of fitting

handkapjes_GS_passen.jpg

Protective 4 mm plexiglas (lexan in UK?)

use 2 pieces of 15x15mm. glue on top of each other and dril a hole but make use you dont drill STRAIGHT THROUGH!!!, this way you have a hole you can place the LED in :thumb
Cut Plexiglas with is hot knife which is better than sawing it, especially those tiny pieces

handkapjes_GS_plexisnijden.jpg

The Hood

handkapjes_GS_plexikapje.jpg

handkapjes_GS_siliconen.jpg

Shrinking tube

handkapjes_GS_krimpkous.jpg

mounting :

handkapjes_GS_armatuurklaar.jpg

Both LED's a placed in a serial with a 12 ohm resistant and connect to normal headlight. Leds are now powered with 500 mA, thats about 2 watts per LED. Maximus is about 1500 mA per LED

Topicstarter had not sufficient parts to make a ballast for 400mA to LED's on normal light and 1500mA on high beam

have fun guys :thumb

Back
Top Bottom