Tiger, ggggrrrr?

Rather similar to BMW going by some of the reports on this forum.

There is no comparison between the 2 in my own personal experience. BMW are streets ahead of Triumph when it comes to dealing with warranty issues.

There is no comparison between the 2 in my own personal experience. BMW are streets ahead of Triumph when it comes to dealing with warranty issues.

JMO but I think BMW are streets ahead of any other motorcycle manufacturer when it come to both warrantee AND dealer networks. Which is why i'll stick with them for a while:thumb

Shep

Ps a Tiger pulled up outside my shop last week and it was the older model in orange with the colour coded luggage, it looked awful:(

Shep

I had a try on one of those tiger things for a day.

Engine - fantastic. Very nice noise too.
Handling- Great handling bike, no worries there
Finish - not convinced. HAndlebars look like they've come off a raleigh tomahawk.
Brakes. Awful Scary Awful. Tried doing emergency stops on some side streets from 30, 40 mph. Needs a lot further than the servo / ABS / linked 1200GS

- decided immediately not to buy it.

SHIT BRAKES!!!!!

I test rode the Tiger and the GS on the same day.
The Tigers engine was a riot, very good performance and moved off like a rocket. I found the brakes disspointing too.
However, sports performance isn't what I'm after, I'd just sold my last sports bike and wanted something more comfortable and less racy.
I took both the Tiger and Gs 'off-road', (green lanes), the power of the Tiger wasn't easy to control, where as the torque of the boxer was smoother.

I was all up for the Tiger before I rode it, glad I did now.

Cheers
Ollie

Agree with all the above. Tiger engine is brilliant the rest of the bike just ok. Headlight is rumoured to be poor but I only rode it during daylight (dealer only let me have the demo for an hour - not sure why...). But then again it is a lot cheaper than a GS.

Coming from the Bonneville, I test rode the Tiger - loved the engine. Then I test rode the 1200GS.

I went back for a second test ride on the Tiger, but didn't even take it out. I just stood beside it, and after the 1200GS the lack of charisma from the Tiger did it for me.

B*llocks. BMW warranty is good. Just ensure you use a competant dealer.

As for the Tiger, have a look at the luggage:eek:Mind you don't get wet feet when you open the boxes.

My 2002 GS 1150 has not needed a warranty claim, but from some comments on this forum over the years it would seem BMW are not quite as perfect as some make out. Triumph dealt very quickly with my complaint about the discs.
So I must be the lucky one then, after several days of heavy rain when touring this summer I can testify that my standard Triumph panniers were water proof.

Also I'm surprised at the number of ex GS12 owners who have swapped over to the Tiger 1050, they must know something.

Anyone mentions the word 'triumph' or 'tiger' and you can bet that within seconds Bob Southgate will be along in a few minutes! On the other hand, I usually stick my two-penneth in aswell!

The Tiger 955 is a wonderful bike, I've taken it off-road (once or twice) and rode to Poland and Spain on it without any hitches whatsoever, the build quality is infinitely superior to the 650 BMW I used to own, and the cost of maintenance is lower. Unless the 1050 is worse (I have no experience of that one), then I'd recommend it to anyone.

Bob's argument mainly stems from the fact that he had trouble with warranty issues - however, my Tiger was 6 months old when I bought it, and has never had any issues, other than a new chain at 20k miles. The BMW I owned had about 6 warranty issues in as many months, ranging from clutch seals and fork seals to electrics and indicator failures.

- And the Tiger's British, so you can bemuse foreigners when you take it to Europe... quote from Germany "oh tree-omff.. yah yah - you are so British"

I had a test ride on a 1050 tother day and to be frank I just found it very bland, jap bland. It was nice enough to ride but I couldn't see myself itching to get on it.

2p

Anyone mentions the word 'triumph' or 'tiger' and you can bet that within seconds Bob Southgate will be along in a few minutes! On the other hand, I usually stick my two-penneth in aswell!

It would be rude not to Stuart!:D

650Essexboy said:
Bob's argument mainly stems from the fact that he had trouble with warranty issues - however, my Tiger was 6 months old when I bought it, and has never had any issues, other than a new chain at 20k miles. The BMW I owned had about 6 warranty issues in as many months, ranging from clutch seals and fork seals to electrics and indicator failures.

It's more than just warranty issues Stuart. I had a '99 Sprint ST which was very well finished but within the first 18000 miles had to have new header pipes due to cracks appearing, a head gasket replaced at 12000 miles and it started to burn oil at 15000 miles at a rate of a litre per 1000 miles. It needed a full top end rebuild with new cylinder liners, pistons and rings to fix it. It also had the usual seizing up of the chain adjuster mechanism due to no grease being put in when it was built. After these faults were sorted out it was fine with nothing else being needed apart from the usual consumables.

Fast forward to 2004 when I replaced it with another new Sprint St. The build quality was visibly poorer. The fairing panels did not fit or align properly and the paint on the subframe, pannier brackets and other painted brackets was poor quality. Fur formed on the engine allow surfaces quicker than the government identifying a new stealth tax and introducing it. The dealer was very supportive but the factory were dismissive and arrogant and refused to deal with many of the claims relating to the paintwork.

So you can see its a number of issues. The final result is a total loss of confidence in the marque. Which is a shame as the 955/1050 engines are absolute crackers. Shame they are put together so poorly nowadays.

650Essexboy said:
- And the Tiger's British, so you can bemuse foreigners when you take it to Europe... quote from Germany "oh tree-omff.. yah yah - you are so British"

They are not British anymore, they are built in Thailand:D:D

a total loss of confidence in the marque.

Well - for some perhaps... and I believe (although not sure) that only part of the production is in Thailand, the rest is still in Hinckley at the rebuilt post-fire factory?

Anyway - I love my Tiger, it's great!

So you can see its a number of issues. The final result is a total loss of confidence in the marque. Which is a shame as the 955/1050 engines are absolute crackers. Shame they are put together so poorly nowadays.

They are not British anymore, they are built in Thailand:D:D

AFAIK only the 675's are build in Thailand, the rest in the UK. But you're right the build quality is not really that good. I had a 1050ST, and some of the plastic came off after hitting a pot hold in France, some of the farring need replacing every 6 month as it had a tendency to break (€34 each time). The one I had, had a production problem in the engine, which resulted in a new cam chain at 40kkm, and a posible replace at 60kkm (outside warrenty...). And the breaks - when people complain about the breaks on the Tiger - try to take an 1050ST out for a ride, and you will have something to complain about!!

I ended up selling it and is now enjoying my 12GS - loosing heaps amount of money.

The bikes are an absolutly blast to ride, the 1050 engine (when one get the head around it) can do marvelous things - hair pins in 2nd and 3rd is a blast (until you rip the tires apart). I really enjoyed the bike, but it was too sporty for me, and with my size 6'3" I needed something which was slightly larger - and I find the new Tiger butt ugly:augie

Casper

The build quality of Triumphs is poor and the attitude of the factory warranty department should you have a problem is piss poor.

Have you actually OWNED a BMW??????

I loved my old R1150GS, agricultural motor, brilliant ride and handling, loads of character too, but the bad attitude and the servicing cost of the main dealers was dreadful. I went to Steptoe for my servicing, a 420 mile round trip rather than go to Rydales in Cardiff, (now taken over by Sytner and they don't do bikes). The other thing that broke my heart with the GS was the lousy finish on the alloy parts. Excellent painwork, but crap powder coating that flaked and corroded as I looked at it. Oh yes, and the issues with the shaft drive bearings........!!! If the Japs can build a reliable shaft drive system, why can't BMW????

I sold my GS and bought a Buell. Brilliant engine, great ride and handling, better comfort both solo and two-up, a very underrated bike. The HD dealer back-up is second to none, (Oxford HD), and is something most BMW main dealers could learn from.

I took a ride on a Tiger 1050 this week and it is another lovely bike. Very comfortable, good handling although the rear suspension does seem a little harsh sometimes with not enough rebound damping. It handle really nicely and goes well, but it is a little lacking in character, especially compared to my Buell. I have put a deposit on one, but............ I'm not sure!!!!!!

I`ve had my 12 for 4 years now and my eye is wandering :eek over to the Triumph Tiger 1050 to be exact and they`re offering £800 of bling with the `08 bikes bought before the end of september.
I`m looking at travelling down to the south of France and tbh I sometimes think I`m living on borrowed time. I don`t want my so far reliable 12 fatally breaking down and having to be rescued thus ruining my hol :( but the 12 is a great bike only lacking in some hard luggage for my jolly that would be in with the Tigers bling.
I`m gonna have a try on a S3 to try out that 1050 engine and throw a leg over a Tiger to check out the seat :D

Hmmm, it`s getting some thinking about this

That sure is an expensive way of getting some hard luggage... :rob Why not just buy some for your GS?

Longdog, I think you will find that Bob has had his fair share of BMs, He will no doubt be along to tell you himself.

Longdog, I think you will find that Bob has had his fair share of BMs, He will no doubt be along to tell you himself.

Yes, I am well aware that Bob has had a few BMs, and if Bob has a SOH, then he will take it in the manner intended :comfort :thumb

I tried one. Took delivery of my GSA on Friday.

Loved the engine. Hated the full on assult of the wind and mega noisey.

GSA is streets ahead

I also tried one before I bought my GSA. Totally agree with the above, the noise was a really bad issue. Loved the triple.

Back
Top Bottom