Snow Chains

(RIP) maverick

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Do you get these for bikes? I have browsed the net and only found suitable for cars and trucks.

What besides spiked tyres is the norm for riding in icy/snowy conditions? How much a difference would knobblies make to ordinary road tyres?

Thanks
:gringo

For fresh snow, knobblies do make a difference, if it's icy they don't help much, then spikes/chains is the only way to go... but not allowed here... So on icy patches, just wobble on and pray,
and keep off your breaks...

On the Elefantentreffen, I saw a quite funny solution on a GS for icy patches : reduce tirepressure,put a bicycle chain around the (road) tires, increase tirepressure until chain isn't moving anymore. When driving slowly they cracked through the ice... still wonder how it handled on road...

I have seen a picture somewhere of a guy riding in crap conditions. He had a rope wound through the spokes and round the tyre, similar to snow chain. Never seen chains for a bike tho.

Now some Ice Speedway spikes would be nice, I have one, just another 149 to get and that should sort things out. I will also need the chainmail gloves that the tyre fitters wear at Ice Speedway meetings.:eek:

Keith Chapman said:
I have seen a picture somewhere of a guy riding in crap conditions. He had a rope wound through the spokes and round the tyre, similar to snow chain. Never seen chains for a bike tho.

Now some Ice Speedway spikes would be nice, I have one, just another 149 to get and that should sort things out. I will also need the chainmail gloves that the tyre fitters wear at Ice Speedway meetings.:eek:

How about these guys Keith?

Attachments

• ice.jpg
    ice.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 332
a serious (?!) reply;

when i started out (*cue for "when dinosaurs ruled the earth" etc) the solution was a heavy grade chicken wire round the tyre and lace it to the rim....
....no - i never did it myself.
no - i haven't a clue if it works.

eM.
urban mythologist

Zwerver said:
For fresh snow, knobblies do make a difference, if it's icy they don't help much, then spikes/chains is the only way to go... but not allowed here... So on icy patches, just wobble on and pray,
and keep off your brakes...

If the roads get too slippery with frozen hard packed snow...........ride on the grass verges and you'll find more grip...........and a softer landing if you do fall off............with less damage to the bike and yourself..........

It always works for us when out Trail Riding on the Honda XR,when the roads are frozen with packed snow...........

However I would sooner take a lighter, proper off-roader out in these conditions......!!!!!!!

Master D.

Theyre the ones, I have been to the world finals in Assen a couple of times.
Theese guys are nuts, definate no brainers. Thinking of that, they would fit in well here. At least they would be someone for Bakerman to talk to.:D

maverick said:
Do you get these for bikes? I have browsed the net and only found suitable for cars and trucks.

What besides spiked tyres is the norm for riding in icy/snowy conditions? How much a difference would knobblies make to ordinary road tyres?

Thanks
:gringo

Are you thinking of traveling futher afield than London ?

~Stef~

Keith Chapman said:
I have seen a picture somewhere of a guy riding in crap conditions. He had a rope wound through the spokes and round the tyre.
[

Yea been there done that!
It was on an old Matchless and the road tyres wouldn’t grip at all, and trying to get up a small hill even with pushing it was impossible. I then saw this rope lying in a ditch by the road & wrapped it round the back wheel going through the spokes and across the tyre.
It lasted just long enough to get me home, but had to keep stopping to check (didn’t want it breaking a wrapping round the wheel & sprockets)

Re: Re: Snow Chains

~Stef~ said:
Are you thinking of traveling futher afield than London ?

~Stef~

Going to the Elephant Treffen in Germany next month. Obviously this is something that you won't run in to every day but would like to be prepared on long journeys when you might expect icy conditions.
If it took me 3 hours to get through 8 miles in London it can turn really ugly if you stuck in a blizzard in a place you don't know.

More precaution than actually looking to go play around on the ice.

Re: Re: Re: Snow Chains

maverick said:
Going to the Elephant Treffen in Germany next month. Obviously this is something that you won't run in to every day but would like to be prepared on long journeys when you might expect icy conditions.
If it took me 3 hours to get through 8 miles in London it can turn really ugly if you stuck in a blizzard in a place you don't know.

More precaution than actually looking to go play around on the ice.

Don't worry too much for that trip; the main roads through Belgium, the Netherlands and Germany are icefree most of the time in winter; as a precuation there's a lot of salt used, and as soon as it starts snowing, the roads get cleared.
Only the smaller uncleaned, unsalted countryroads can get icy, but to reach the Treffen at the Nurburgring you do not have to take these roads.
In al years I've been to this rally we only had one troublesome
trip back home, and got stuck in Blankenheim, waiting for the roads to be cleared a bit. All other times we had an easy ride...
Only problem can be the camping place itself, but at walking speed that's survivable as well, and in case of problems, there are some 1500ppl to help...

I lost my snow ride cherry this week, (managed to avoid it for 15yrs of winter commuting) . I was expecting it so left the ktm950 in the garage and took wor lasses 80cc Derbi Senda trailie.
Must say I was rather glad of the lack of HP (some 8.5horses) as the weather, Fine and sunny when I left, turned into a blizzard by lunchtime, with roads covered in a few inches in short time.I spent quite a bit of time catching front wheel washouts on the ruts left by cars and wheelspinning up hills while testing the limited torque curve of the engine.... I wouldnt have got home on the 950 (too heavy with road tyres - pirelli ATs, though I doubt TKCs or similar would been much better, and tourances would have likely been even worse). Glad I suffered it as I'd always wondered what I could consider as ridable.
PS riding over the drifted snow was the worst spot, with the front sliding followed by back and sometimes both at the same time. PS the senda has fairly aggressive nobblies for a "road" traillie and probably only weighs some 90Kgs (same as me with kit on).

Back
Top Bottom