Drinking tea in the land of coffee

Lambie ... remember to tell us about Randy later .

You dont sound to chuffed in your video journal. Punch him in the hooter and assume command I say .... what?

nailed

Den I could just scratch him with my bynow disgustingly filthy nails.
Randy rides up on his GS800 rare in the US still. Buys my breakfast and then says he knows the guy I met a day and 500 or so miles earlier who'd said if obama gets in he'll be shot in a month. His gobby buddies got it down to a week, but blamed it on shia and sunni religious beliefs...and these were affluent, sober gents of late 50s not billybobs.

So point is, if you are a git in the USA people know you. If you are a git in the UK ........fill in your own blanks.
So Randyn great bloke, nice bike, knows gits.

In in Salina Cruz now. Some 10 days on from the videos I've just posted. There's lots of footage waiting to be crunched down and posted, but web access isn't always available and isn't always #1 on the agenda to be honest.

The current stuff is at
www.unchainedworld.com.

I've said it before and I'll say it again this site is a veritable goldmine of useful information........'No Traffic lights in the desert'... that little gem will stand me in good stead at some point in the future I'm sure, Ray Mears, Bear Grylls, move over, there's a new guy in town:D:D

:thumb2

Im beginning to look forward to your mental videos Lambie.
YOU NEVER MENTIONED TEA THOUGH.
Keep safe.

http://<embed id="VideoPlayback" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=2601049786236687954&hl=en&fs=true" style="width:400px;height:326px" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> </embed>

Tea stops are a bit hit and miss. I stop at 4pm, but I may well be the only person for miles.

I did get an orange influx the other day, when a town turned out to see the bike, and because I had one orange, they produced a crateful for me.
It was hard to refuse graciously, so I handed them out and then left when no one was looking.

THe vids I post are just the tip of the many hours I am filming, with helmet cam, on bike cam, off bike cam and stills cam. Compressing and uploading all of it would be too time consuming, so I don't do it.
I'm finding one cuppa per person is enough to achieve the three cup idea and even those who dont partake of the elixir that is brewed do get the 3T message.

I've said it before and I'll say it again this site is a veritable goldmine of useful information........'No Traffic lights in the desert'... that little gem will stand me in good stead at some point in the future I'm sure, Ray Mears, Bear Grylls, move over, there's a new guy in town:D:D

:thumb2

No toilets either, just in case. Plus, try and keep your privates dry, otherwise life can get uncomfortable and you have to have a two day layover to buy cream for peeling rashes that itch like crazy, where the sweat gathers in the crease of your thighs when stuck in a riding position for multiple hours...Bear Grylls may have mentioned that in advance and I'd have packed the monkey butt powder!

Thoughts courtesy of Lamble:taking a two day layover and visiting the Farmacia.

Blowing

Here´s another tip that seems obvious after the event.
If you are riding in a valley full of wind turbines, chances are it´s going to be a touch windy.
Just spent 7 hours covering 60 miles, most at an angle of over 45 degrees.
I stopped twice...this is a mistake, as you may well get blown over.
The Isthmus of Mexico on the Pacific side is the worst wind trap I´ve ever encountered.
I´d gladly have quit the whole trip today, it was so arduous and unpleasant. Only the intervention and chance meeting of a fellow GS rider on his way south, got me through, well almost through, as we both had to take shelter.

Thanks Chuck.

Some El Salvador footage up soon.

Tom and his new riding partner Patrice, passed me today. Not in a wave sort of way, just that they are now further down the road.

I'll leave it that they have a different concept about travelling and seeing things, than I do.

Dont forget, buy discount books from the three cups of tea link at www.unchainedworld.com and you'll help bring a bit more understanding into the world, as well as saving dosh and getting a book.

Thieving Bastardos

Had my first and second encounters with the bribery concept here in Nicaragua.

The first came when I was told my border crossing papers could be processed faster for $20. I said I was in no hurry, paid nowt and was processed just as fast.

The second one got me though.

Managua ring road. Came to an island and went round it in the middle of three lanes. As I left a cop indicated that I come to the inside lane then the shoulder. He then accused me of swapping lanes on the island and that this was an infraction. What it was was a method of extorting money.
The game began.
I had an hour to waste, so was happy to play along.
400 cordoba to pay at the bank against a ticket. That's about $20.

As we watched other possible cash cows go passed, what little spanish I do have became even less. As they sweated it out, I drank from the camelback.

Then came the offer, "You can pay the bank 400 or you can pay us and not get a ticket".

Part two began.
400 to the cops and no ticket was still more than I was willing to pay. Dummy wallet time, with only a few dollars in it, plus 200 cordoba I'd swapped at the border in exchange for Honduras cash (that's another form of taxation by the way, but so nominal as to not be worth worrying about).

So, 1 hour and about $10 lighter, I'm on my way, but not quite. Now they have my cash, they are my best mates. Questions about the bike, the GPS, the trip. Smiles all round.

It's a shame that an official arm of the government is allowed to tarnish the impression that the local people had generated with their warm welcomes.

Costa Rica.

Only the second time I've had to ride in rain so far this trip, although I've been damp quite a lot and today my right hand glove finally rotted through on the palm.

More updates at:

www.unchainedworld.com

Second day in Panama. Met Javier at the border. He's ridden this way in 2006 and being from St Sebastian in Spain, speaks Spanish...who'd have thought.

So day 2 with him. He and I seem to share what Tom and I didn't and that's been proven today where we made no forward progress at all, however, we did make a fantastic loop through the Peninsula de Azeura and down to the Gulf of Panama. Truly splendid GS riding roads and scenery that is unbelievably beautiful.

Panama City.:blast

Traffic gridlock :blast

Went for a meal last night and ended up at a :ronno restaurant, then on to a cafe opposite the Marriott, where we were surrounded by girls out looking for punters.

My latin riding pal Javier dismissed them all by simply telling them I was English and to my dismay, that was taken as being enough reason to move on. My dismay being not that they moved on, but that purely from being English, I and any fellow countrymen are dismissed as not being worthy of a hookers time.
Why?
Is it that we are poor?
Is it that we are regarded as not having a latin libido? If it was the later, it didn't stop these pneumatically enhanced females from plying their trade to the Americans that were dribbling all over the place.
Are we wetter fish than the yanks?
I was a good 200lbs lighter than most of them if that makes any difference.

Perhaps, and I'd like to think this was the case, we are renowned around the world for being more honourable, chivalrous and loyal to our spouses.

Spending today trying to find new tyres and booking flights across the Darien Gap into Columbia.

end of the road

My journey has come to an unexpected and unhappy end.
I will be leaving the bike in Bogota and flying to be with my Wife as soon as possible.

Back
Top Bottom