Himalayas 2008....... as fast as a Bullet

Just wondering why you chose the Enduro India trip instead of Blazing Trails ?

In all honesty its because I never knew about the Blazing Trails trips. We met a New Zealand outfit called SaffronTours and they also do the Himalaya ring. They also do Cambodia and Mongolia on Russian 350cc 2-strokes like Claudio had in LWR

AndyT

well done:clap:mmmm

that write up must have took some time Andy.. did you take notes or write it from memory?

Hi Gary - all from memory:thumb2 It's amazing how it all comes back when you look at your photos in sequence.

Well saying that I forgot to write about the Whacko guy who lived in a cave by the side of the road... He was well into his Ganga.....:cool but thats another story;)

Attachments

• pic067.jpg
    pic067.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 484
Just seen this it's a Fantastic report Andy looks an excellent trip
:clap:clap:clap

Nice report and a good idea on how to write it up, I guess looking at the timings you saved it all to word of something before cutting and pasting, saves all the interuptions peoples write ups usually have.

Supurb!!

Sounds like you had a great time Andy, started reading and just couldn't stop, thanks for sharing your trip and taking the time to do such a great write up, kindest regards Dusan
Now you've planted an idea, might go myself, cheers. :thumb2:clap

A great report Andy. Thanks for taking the time to share. That must have taken ages to put together. :clap

Great report Andy,thank's for taking the time to post it

Schultz

Just brilliant Andy :clap

How much did the whole thing cost you?

not sure how much the Enduro trip is but the Blazing Trails trip is about £2000

they also do a Goa trip that I went on for £1400

(2 weeks)

pretty good value when you think the flight must be £500

that included bikes, mechanics, doctor, medicine, water, back up van and hotels.

£250 easily covered my spending money:thumb2

Great report Andy! it brought back memories of when I did the Himalayas with Blazing Trails in 2004. It really is a special place.

I think Blazing Trails are charging about £2500 now and they have also introduced a Himalayan tour that takes in the higher passes in Ladekh, in addition to their tour that goes through Tabo and across the Kunzum La and Rohtang La.

Absolutely great report. :clap :clap :clap

I went on a motorcycling tour through the Himalayas back in 1999 and 2002 with a tour group called Ferris Wheels Motorcycle Adventures
http://www.ferriswheels.com.au
The first trip there was so good, I just had to go back. We went through most of the places you went to but we carried on further to the highest motorable road in the world.....the Kardung La, at 18,500 ft. It literally takes your breath away. We were also on 500 Enfields (perfect bike for India!!) Your report brings back a lot of memories :beer: :beer:

In '99 the military were in force everywhere on the high passes. At the time, India were flexing their muscles!!! There was and still is a dispute over boundaries with Pakistan but back then they were firing missiles at each other with us tourists riding Enfields through the middle of it!!! :mcgun :mcgun We really shouldn't have been there! :confused:
Some of the roads were literally covered with spent artillery shells and trying to dodge those was a real effort!!
From Lei, we rode through to Kargil (very Muslim) We had to leave Kargil at about 1.00am and ride through into Kashmir as during the day the road is controlled by the military and no one can get through. Can you imagine riding those roads at night!!!! Pitch black dark and bombs going off in the distance :eek: :eek: :eek:

WOW, where is this going!!! Maybe I should just do my own full on ride report.

Billy

Attachments

• 105-0593_IMG.jpg
    105-0593_IMG.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 328
  • 106-0603_IMG.jpg
    106-0603_IMG.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 329
  • 104-0421_IMG.jpg
    104-0421_IMG.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 331
  • 106-0612_IMG.jpg
    106-0612_IMG.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 333
  • 106-0650_STA.jpg
    106-0650_STA.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 328
:thumb
not sure how much the Enduro trip is but the Blazing Trails trip is about £2000

they also do a Goa trip that I went on for £1400

(2 weeks)

pretty good value when you think the flight must be £500

that included bikes, mechanics, doctor, medicine, water, back up van and hotels.

£250 easily covered my spending money:thumb2

Yip what yir getting at is Enduro is £2k dearer than your India trip
:thumb

The big difference Enduro's India trip puts nearly £2k into local charity's so the riders are not the only ones to benefit from the trip.
Don't think there is any charity for the Himalaya trip but the piece of mind of a global tour operator rather than some back yard operator I know what I would go for.:thumb

Well done Andy:clap:clap:clap

Sorry to deviate from your thread but I hope this answers Turnips question

My last adventure to India cost $au7000........about 3,500 quid for everything inc all airfares, bike hire, accomodation, food, fuel, mechanics but buy your own grog. 3 week trip.

Billy

Back
Top Bottom