Himalayas 2008....... as fast as a Bullet

I really enjoyed reading the report Andy, even though I was there :thumb2.

It was a pleasure sleeping with you for two weeks :augie, thanks for your tolerance.

I was even lucky enough to celebrate my 55th birthday “on top of the World” half way through the trip.

To those asking about the Blazing Trails equivalent - I did consider going with them myself as they are a bit cheaper - about £2600 from memory, as apposed to the £3000 I paid with Global Enduro, but I was so impressed with the organisation and support, both medical and mechanical, that Global Enduro provided when I did Enduro Africa last year that I chose to pay the extra for piece of mind.

We did meet a Blazing Trails group at our lunch stop on the Northern side of the Rotang Pass, we were heading North having just come over the pass while they were heading South on their way up it.

In our group there were about 30 bikes and the Global Enduro support consisted of a 1 x leader (Collin - who used to work with Blazing Trails), 2 x UK paramedics (Bill & Mark) on bikes riding in amongst us, 2 x UK Global Enduro staffers (Jules & Richie) riding in amongst us, 2 x mechanics on bikes following us, 2 x doctors in a 4x4 following us, 2 x mechanics in a 4x4 following us and a 4x4 ambulance following us as well as a truck taking all our luggage from hotel to hotel.

The Blazing Trails group seemed to be smaller, about 20 bikes, and had a leader (a lady, possibly Suzie), a back marker on a bike and a paramedic following in a car and I assume a truck taking their luggage from hotel to hotel as they weren't carrying it in their bikes. There may have been more support but it wasn't obvious.

The other side of the coin is to do it all yourself - I was sat next to a guy on the plane home who had done just that - return flights to Delhi - £450, 3 weeks bike hire - £180, food accommodation etc - £320, Total £950 - he had got as far a Leh, he had had a few breakdowns and got lost a few times and had to carry all his own kit but he'd had a great time - each to their own.

Andy’s RanjiBanjit was really Narkanda.

The story Lou told me of his brush with a bus passenger was that as he was passing a bus in one of the small towns a “lady” stuck her arse out of a window and projectile shat in an ark which he was fortunately able to ride underneath without suffering any “blowback” and thus the phrase "You've been Zamberland" came into being – but Andy’s version could be the truth even if it’s not as much fun to explain!

Would I do it again – in a heartbeat, doing this trip once just isn’t enough!

I’ve not finished my write up and when it is done I’ll just put a link to it.

I had a GPS Data Logger tracking me taking a point every 10 seconds - if anyone wants copies of the track logs of our trip just ask – I have them in Mapsource and Google Earth format but can do them in pretty much any format – the track logs of last years Enduro Africa are at www.offroad-motorsport.com.

Only two Pics in this post - top one of the morning of my birthday at Chindhi and the lower one of me gasping for breath after climbing up a hill at the top of the BaralachaLa Pass to make sure my GPS registered over 5000m (5010m). After the damage I did to my lungs in my big "GS" accident a few years ago this was quite an achievement for me.

Attachments

• EH08 - 24th Aug - 006.jpg
    EH08 - 24th Aug - 006.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 255
  • EH08 - 26th Aug - 034.jpg
    EH08 - 26th Aug - 034.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 255
Who's the old git jumping in the way when you take yir photies Bob get him told he's spoiling the scenery.

I was half hoping you would have said it was shit:(
So I wouldn't want to go:blast

Looking forward to your report:beerjug:

Excuse me - a couple of facts

Hello Andy,
Suzie here from Blazing Trails.
I would just like to comment on your comment that Blazing Trails are much cheaper but less well equipped medically and mechanically.
We only take 20 riders per tour and we carry one medic and 2 mechanics. We also carry 3 support vehicles, one of which is a large van for luggage and heavy equipment. How can this possibly be less support than you received and what on earth made you think that?
Yours,
Suzie

Hello Andy,
Suzie here from Blazing Trails.
I would just like to comment on your comment that Blazing Trails are much cheaper but less well equipped medically and mechanically.
We only take 20 riders per tour and we carry one medic and 2 mechanics. We also carry 3 support vehicles, one of which is a large van for luggage and heavy equipment. How can this possibly be less support than you received and what on earth made you think that?
Yours,
Suzie

Hi Suzie,
quite simply there were approx 24 of us on the trip and we had 4 medics, 5 mechanics, 4 support vehichles one of which was a large wagon which took our luggage on to that evenings stop and one of which was an Enfield Main agent with a truck full of spares.

I hope I didn't give the impression that Blaizing Trails were a poor company as that wasn't intended and in fact my colleagues husband went with Blazing trails the month before I did and had a great time. As you say Blazing trails are much cheaper too:) I wouldn't hesitate to use Blazing trails myself:thumb

I hope that clarifies any misunderstanding:)

AndyT:cool:

A great report, bloody marvellous .... awsome :thumb

Girlfriend Sue, Gracie on here, and me set off 1st August to ride overland to India and the Himalayas :thumb

No time constraints, just two geriatrics taking time to smell the flowers :rob

Thanks again for a great write up.

:beerjug:

Everyone should be so lucky as to ride the Himalayas

Loved it, Mr pink was our mechanic a couple of years ago, my 2 brothers and I with 3 mates did a similar self guided trip, we hooked up with Misery Goat andmDragoon from Adv Rider at Keylong after 2 of their party found it a bit harder than anticipated abandoned the trip, all on adv rider, similar photos scenes and experiences, including my younger brother getting his leg run over by a bus
India in moderation
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=509804

Thanks for that, it seems so long ago now but was only 3 years. I'm going to sit back and read your report on Adventure rider over the next few hours (I see its 37 pages already:D ).

AndyT:thumb2

Thanks for that, it seems so long ago now but was only 3 years. I'm going to sit back and read your report on Adventure rider over the next few hours (I see its 37 pages already:D ).

AndyT:thumb2

Which trip was yours i was on think 3 end of aug to the start of sept great memeories and familar faces in the pics ,we were lucky enough to have a camera man who did freelance work for tv so those who donated money to charity came away with a DVD and some amazing photos.

Which trip was yours ...

From memory it was trip 2, I believe there was a guy killed on Trip 1 who went off the road. I asked the guides about it and they clammed up for some reason. I thought they would be more open about it so as to reiterate the dangers:rob

We all exchanged photographs afterwards but not a lot of video however I still have the memories;)

Check out the New Route that Global now does, going all the way to Leh. Its pretty tough as you get to Sleep at 4500m which can make you wake with a Gasp !!! The ride from Barralacha La to Leh is like travelling on the Moon , the More plains are awesome and Tso Morini Lake breathtaking . I did trip A last year as Medic and it really blew me away and I've done loads of trips with Global . Check out the itinery on their web page www.endurohimalaya.com

Attachments

• more plains.jpg
    more plains.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 112
Check out the New Route that Global now does, going all the way to Leh. Its pretty tough as you get to Sleep at 4500m which can make you wake with a Gasp !!! The ride from Barralacha La to Leh is like travelling on the Moon , the More plains are awesome and Tso Morini Lake breathtaking . I did trip A last year as Medic and it really blew me away and I've done loads of trips with Global . Check out the itinery on their web page www.endurohimalaya.com

Great picture :D

I was lucky enough to be on this trip and yeah, everything Rob says is true (and more!).
It really was pretty tough at times and always mind blowing.

I really MUST get around to a write up...........................

Andres

Back
Top Bottom