4th OCT OFFROADING and beer

Sorry i'm late with the pics , busy weekend

WOW…….had a great time yesterday but boy are arms and particularly my legs letting me know about it this morning. My first time ever off road and I can’t believe how much hard work it is standing on those pegs with bent knees, trying to absorb the bumps and let the bike move underneath you. I could barely get up and down the stairs this morning.:rob

Massive thanks to Gary, Richard, Chris and my good mate Phil for the tips and the support. Quite pleased that I only “parked it" twice . Big respect to John for doing those trails on the big lardy 1150 :clap. There is no way I would’ve attempted them on mine. Sorry to hear about your leg tho' John :( Phil said you took a bit of a nasty tumble on that downhill stretch . Hope its sorts itself out :thumb

I know there are quite a few other guys and gals ( Ela ) that take the big bikes off road but I’ve never seen it first hand before and I was just amazed at where Gary was taking his 12, unbelievable he’s just not right:loopy

I am sure there are much more difficult and technical trails we could’ve done but from a novices’ stand point ( and having ridden it briefly on the road ) even something more focussed like Phil’s 950SE to me seems just too big , heavy and damn tall to haul around some of those trails we went on and yet he made it look easy.

As a road rider you lot who take those big twins, from either brand , off road have my utmost respect :bow

Anyway enough hyperbole here are a few shots.:bounce1

Blokes at play in the countryside. Peak district regulars will recognise the location;

20081004_1849_edited-1.jpg

20081004_1848_edited-1.jpg

Top of the trail where Gary put his GS on its side as seen in his picture above. You never get the sense of gradient in these shots do you :(

20081004_1852.jpg

This is “ The Epic “ . Despite the drizzle We hadn’t seen any mud all day, just some nice big puddles. We took this forest trail which was compact at first adn Richard and Chris said it was a nice fast easy one. Phil suggested I keep my speed up and let my suspension do the work becausse i'd been going a bit slow. So I sped off. It was going really well for all of 200yrds then it got well slippy. I tried to keep the throttle on and was sort of flat out in 3rd but all of a sudden the bike slowed dramatically ( due to the foot deep muddy goo i'd hit) , nearly spat me over the bars and then I lost momentum & course and chucked the bike and myself into the soft muddy bank at the side.

The big boys behind me then got well and truly stuck .

Here is my bike “parked” with Phil in the background after we got his bike out

20081004_1861.jpg

Phil just about got level to where I stacked it and you can see what happened to him in this short clip. Something got stuck on the lens at the start. Oh and turn the volume up;)

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i218.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid218.photobucket.com/albums/cc139/Rushy_02/1st%20Off%20Road/20081004_1857.flv">

Sometimes in life a man has to plough his own lonely furrow:eyesdown :eyesdown
:D

20081004_1859.jpg

In the picture above you can see my wheel track off to the right drifting into the centre of shot.

If it hadn’t been for the skid plate and the physical size of the engine Gary’s bike would have sank without a trace:eek Trying to push it out from the rear of the bike I was knee deep in the gloopy porridge like mud. The 3rd pic is of my legs later when we stopped on solid ground.

20081004_1866_edited-1.jpg

20081004_1867_edited-1.jpg

20081004_1862.jpg

This little clip is me walking back from helping to retrieve Gary’s bike. I’m actually walking at the side of the trail where the ground was nice and firm , relatively speaking.
<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i218.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid218.photobucket.com/albums/cc139/Rushy_02/1st%20Off%20Road/20081004_1865.flv">

Gary back on firmer ground

20081004_1868_edited-1.jpg

Where the forestry boys left their machinery it was nice and solid so we had a rest but we had some more nice and gooey stuff later, it was great fun.:p

Take a close look at the wheels on the big thing in the background. It had huge ‘paddled’ tyres on it but they still obviously had grip problems with it so they had attached big straps across the tyres similar to snow chains. That’s how bad the mud was. :eek

20081004_1869_edited-1.jpg

Last shot my DRZ –E in its ideal habitat . Timpo put me onto it. I paid top dollar but it’s a lovely one owner machine in great condition. Perfick :bounce1

20081004_1870_edited-1.jpg

Anyway sorry about the excitable rambling, all of the above might be normal to you off road regulars but I had a great time :p Thanks again guys and it was nice to meet you all for the first time, hopefully not the last :thumb2 .

Ian

Cracking Pics Ian, ,made me giggle again about the day.:D

See you next time.:thumb

Glad everyone enjoyed it!
Great effort Rushy for someone new to both off-roading and the bike!
Guys on the big bikes have big balls!
Now everyone's an expert who fancies something a little more challenging!
Chapel Gate for example?

Gary
You obviously forgot to reduce the pressure in yer rear tyre :thumb and fit side skids and a paddle drive :thumb

When you have a go at Chapelgate let me know

I will bring me crutches, and a camera, should easy get £250 off Harry :clap

You sank in the mud cos you ate all the brekky at Kates :D

Bloomin Eck!!!!

I'll bring me kayak next time!......................must see if Steptoe can do me some off road stabilisers :augie

Gary thanks for a Great day out :thumb2

And to Richard and Chris for sticking with us on there pogo's and leading the ride :clap...

How about the Goyt valley well thanks to the forestry guys for making it a bit more of a challenge Gaz your a nutter theres no way I would have taken my 1200 down that lane:eek::D

John hope you got home ok and fair play for taking the big GS on the lane's ...:thumb2

Rushy you did great mate :thumb2 first time out 10/10 :clap Great photos

Look forward to the next one :clap

Off Roading - Peak District

It's been quite a while since I was out on one of these group treks (see thread - blue & white 1150!)!

After (separately) bust knee, broken coxcyx :blast, broken ankle, and getting married :eek:, I've now got a DRZ 400E (ex Graham GSA and Big Den) for the Peak Trails (!............)

As I can't risk any more broken bones, and I don't have Gaz's talent for chucking the GS1150 through the downhill ruts, I'll have a serious go on the 400.

Looking forward to catching up with you all again soon. Will keep an eye on the Off Road posts - I'll be out again asap

Cheers,

John

I`m up for the first week of Feb if anyone fancies it?
Some fond memories looking at that thread.
:thumb2

Do you have a date in mind Gaz? I can't make the first Wednesday (fracture clinic for my ankle)...

Off Road Peaks

Gaz,

Let us know a date - weekends best, but could take a day off to suit.

I notice you have an HP as well now.......greed is good.......:clap

I dont plan on doing a bloody thing in Feb so you guys can pick a date and I will be there.
:thumb

Ide be up for a ride in the peaks in Feb, weekend preferably , be on an x challenge:thumb

Lets see what a few others think date wise then we will put something definate in. Mid week is always better as its soooo much quieter. But i do understand that most folk have regular jobs so lets see what the majority can do.

I`m happy to do a day in the week and at the weekend.

Lets see what a few others think date wise then we will put something definate in. Mid week is always better as its soooo much quieter. But i do understand that most folk have regular jobs so lets see what the majority can do.

I`m happy to do a day in the week and at the weekend.

I'm in anytime but not school half term week (13th - 20th Feb):thumb

I'm getting Peaks riding withdrawal symptoms.

Paul

I would love to come as well, weekend is best but could do a midweek if it fits better. Will be on my 640E.

Hi gaz, I'm off from 31st Jan, till 11th, Feb with no plans during the week, though the weekend is likely to be spent with my better half. I'm up for a day or two then, it's been a while since I was out laning.

Let's see what or who gets broken this time, the last few days out with you have been, erm, interesting...........

Back
Top Bottom