A day on the trails with Spout and Timpo. UKGSER Llangollen 2009.

OI ! Timpo, if you need a hand, you know where to find me.I could do the spout run (if it's the same as the GS adv run and he could upgrade to something in the middle) just a thought but feel free to ignore it :D
or I could just help out with the pushing, pulling and lifting duties, of which there will be many :eek:augie:D

Is it ok to bring something other than a GS ???(950 se, I've down graded)

emmsy poo may be interested in this also

ooh, just noticed, that's 500 posts, must have too much time on my hands

Really hoping I can make this.....if her royal Rosieness is with me we'll stick with Spout 'cos we'll be two up on the GSA but otherwise I'll be on a bike familiar to Mr Timpo and will come along with his group just for the giggles :D

I might be tempted to make the sojourn to Wales myself (and bring a small posse of trail-riders with me!)

Greg

Im comin too

Lots of folks getting sorted out for this so best I get my pennysworth in.
Love to come, everything being equal.
On gs1200 and should have TKC80 on by then. Spouts rideout would be my standard I reckon. Want some experience before going on the adv rally to Slovenia in Jun

cheers

clive

I've completed the BMW level 1 advanced off road course on a GS1200, can someone with a bit of experience let me know would I be better off on Timpo or Spout's run?
I'm happy to have a go at anything but I'm not sure if my skill level would be good enough do do Timpo's run.
I'll be on my 12GSA with TKC80's (should be bringing a brand new one along if I've not swapped the 7k one on the back over by then as it'll be well ready for it)

Tips for Newbies

Just a few pointers aimed primarily at the “Newbies” on the Off Road ride.
So please don’t moan if I’m stating the obvious.

We shall be following the TRF Code of Conduct:
(You can now join the TRF on line – lots of info on their web site)

Use only vehicular rights of way.
As the status of lanes is continually changing a few may “slip through the net”, but we will not intentionally ride any illegal lanes.

Motorcycles and riders must be road-legal.
We wont be checking your licence, insurance, MOT, road tax etc but you do need to be fully road legal.

Keep to the defined way across farmland.
We may have to divert around deep water filled ruts though.

Give way to walkers, horses and cyclists.
We’ll expect you to stop and switch off engines whilst horses pass.

Fasten gates to safeguard stock.
See below “Gates”

Travel at a safe speed.
This should not exceed the voluntary maximum of 25mph. Hmmmmmm!

Ride quietly.
Machines must be effectively silenced.

Honour the country code.

Just a few tips for Newbies (from me, so not everybody will agree):

Preparing your bike.
Tyres – you’ll need tyres that’ll cope with tarmac and dirt. Extreme off road tyres wont be necessary. TKC80 (or equivalent) will be fine. Running with less pressure in the tyre will give better grip, but increase the chance of rim damage (I’ll leave a compromise pressure up for discussion). Have a puncture repair kit with you (and know how to use it).
Tools – for flat tyres, spark plug removal etc
Brakes – riding in certain types of muck can wear pads quickly, so make sure there’s plenty there to wear down.
ABS – best to ride on loose ground with it disengaged (stops those “sh*t I’ve got no brakes” moments). Learn how to engage/disengage it.
Mirrors – might break in a tumble, taking them off solves this, but can make riding awkward for yourself and others behind you.
Panniers – do you really need to bring them?
Final drive breather – it can let water in, so check/change oil post ride or fit an extended breather pipe (do a search for various DIY lash ups).
Petrol – please fill up before the ride. You’ll need at least 100 miles worth. Please don’t ride a GSA with a full tank!
Crash bars/head protectors/stabilisers – the debate continues!
Footrest rubbers – take them out. Serrated pegs give better grip for your boots.

Clothing (recommendations only – you can wear what you like!)
You’ll need clothing that allows more movement than road riding, so loose is good. And you’ll get hot, so don’t wear too much and make sure it’s breathable (or come back 2 stone lighter!)
Sturdy boots – helps to have some grip on the sole.
Waterproofs – this is Wales!
Body armour – either integral with jacket/trousers or separate “armour suit”. Handy to have knee pads and shin protectors (if not integral with your boots).
Helmet – will get sweaty (have you got an old one?). It’s best not to rely on a visor for eye protection, instead wear goggles or safety glasses.

Water – bring plenty to drink. Your insides need to be kept as wet as your outsides will be.

Drop off system
The group will have a dedicated leader and last man. Know who these are. During the ride whenever the leader makes a turn he will signal for the following rider to stop and wait to direct all the other riders, until he sees the last man. It is important that the “marker” does not move away until the last man arrives. This stops the group splitting up and allows any breakdowns to be identified (the leader will run out of “markers” and then retrace his steps).
The order of riders between the leader and last man is unimportant – so no ban on overtaking.
If you arrive at a fork/junction with no marker (and it’s not blatantly obvious which way to go), then just wait.
The drop off system will apply on both tarmac and unsurfaced roads.

Gates
This simple system will keep things “moving along”:
Leader arrives at gate, “second” rider dismounts and opens gate, leader and “third” ride through, “third” rider stops and dismounts and holds gate for “second” rider and all others. The last man will then wait for “third” rider to close gate and rejoin the ride.

Riding a GS Off Road
The GS is big and heavy compared to dedicated off road bikes, but is actually more capable than many give it credit for. The route we’ll ride shouldn’t trouble a GS (but might trouble its rider!).
Stand up – this not only lowers the C of G (weight through pegs not seat) but allows more rider movement (front to back, side to side) to help balance the bike.
General rule is lean back on downhills and forward going up.
When riding tricky sections that require very low speeds it’s easier to sit and have legs ready to “dab” (just watch out for those pots on your shins!).
Don’t follow the rider too closely – leave a good gap between yourself and the rider in front. Gives you time to take avoiding action, pick a better line or find somewhere suitable to stop.
Look ahead – you don’t need to watch your front wheel (it knows what to do), look ahead and pick your line. The further ahead you look the less “hazards” you’ll have to deal with.
Ruts – the GS is in league with gravity, so no matter how hard you try to stay out of ruts, you’ll end up it one. This is no bad thing as you can’t slip sideways out of a rut, so there’s less chance of falling once you’re in one. There’s usually good grip in ruts, especially if there’s flowing water in them. A good steady pace is easier than riding slowly.
It is rare for a rut to be too deep for a GS to ride through. Just watch your toes don’t get snagged though!
It’s when you try to ride a GS sideways out of a rut that tumbles can occur (the front wheel might pop out but the back wont). So, again, look ahead – there will be places to leave the ruts under control. If not then it might be easiest to stop and manually lift your bike out.
Gears – try not to ride in 1st gear all the time, throttle response will be too jerky. Generally ride in high a gear as possible. But again, look ahead and change down early when approaching “hazards”.
Hazards – ie any change of ground or gradient. Most hazards should be tackled with a neutral throttle, eg when approaching a steep hill it’s best to build momentum and then roll up the hill rather than just power up.
Braking – try to ride so you don’t have to (did I mention looking ahead?). 200kg bikes, dual purpose tyres and loose/muddy ground don’t make for quick stops. Whether you prefer the front or back brake they should be used gently.
Assume that you will “lay down” the bike at least once. Please don’t rush to lift it back up, give time for photos, p*ss taking etc and then accept assistance in lifting it (your back will thank you).
Deep water – I wont be leading you through anything too deep (weather dependant), but different routes through puddles or falling off may cause your bike to ingest water. Stop your engine straight away. Then we’ll have some fun emptying it.

The pace will be set to the slowest rider. Because of the large numbers there should be plenty of rest/fag breaks. The ride will not be a race. No one will get left behind.

What he said........

My ride will only be suitable to experienced off road 1*** GS riders, ie, of similar standard to Forry, RickA, Tmolgra, etc.
450, 650 and 800 riders should be fine.
Bikes must be equiped with a minumum of TKC80 or MT21 tyres. No Tourances, etc.
Damage to your machine could occur if you take a tumble, with some routes being rutted from farm machinery.
There will be several fords, the deepest being Corwen car wash, take a look on Youtube, I'm on there somewhere crossing it with a XT660Z.
If somebody take s a tumble, then the group stops and we get the bike righted and dust the rider down. NOBODY GETS LEFT BEHIND!
You will need an understanding on how to repair your bike if it punctures, and carry the tools required to do the job.

Right, if you have any questions, then either post up on the thread or fire a PM to me or Spout and we will try to answer it for you.

Thanks guys, I'll be in Spout's expert hands then.

As before I'm happy to TEC as I've got the Zumo for route if required and I should have a fairly comprehensive repair kit mounted somewhere on the bike before this trip or I'll help out in any way you need.
:)

Spout, ya can tell it's a BM ride and not for KTM's...........no mention of hoisting big wheelies, chasing cattle and ramblers, shouting abuse, riding like a twonk and having pipes loud enough to give a Boing 747 a run for it's money.

I assume we can do all that stuff between the lanes :nenau:augie:augie:augie

Good pointers there :thumb

Timpo,
I am posting this 1 hour after getting back from the fabulous trail riding in Graig-fechan, and i am hungry for more.:D:D
Count me in for this one please, but you have seen me ride and i have the choice of two bikes now which group do you reckon i would be best suited to.

Cheers Steve.:beerjug:

Hey Timpo,

If a KTM 990 Adv on Michelin Deserts might possibly be allowed I would be very interested in a place on the big bike scenic tour. :D

Your efforts in Wales over the weekend were much appreciated - excellent weekend - and I relish the chance to do more.

Thanks
Pete

Timpo,
I am posting this 1 hour after getting back from the fabulous trail riding in Graig-fechan, and i am hungry for more.:D:D
Count me in for this one please, but you have seen me ride and i have the choice of two bikes now which group do you reckon i would be best suited to.

Cheers Steve.:beerjug:

Hey Timpo,

If a KTM 990 Adv on Michelin Deserts might possibly be allowed I would be very interested in a place on the big bike scenic tour. :D

Your efforts in Wales over the weekend were much appreciated - excellent weekend - and I relish the chance to do more.

Thanks
Pete

Apologies, but this is not an open invite to a trail ride. Have a look what section it is posted in....... GS National Events / Llangollen 15th - 17th May.
The trail rides are for people attending the weekend at The Hand Hotel.
There will be other trail rides but these will be posted in the Off Road Section, please keep tabs on that section.

Timpo.

Now, having started very excited by the thought of my first off-road trip on my GS I,ve done something really stupid... went skiing, stacked it in a big way, broke my arm and dislocated my shoulder (didn't cry!!) and have been told not to do ANYTHING that could replicate the injury for a year.... I can't ride AT ALL! Does anyone know a good psychiatrist, I'm going to go nuts... so, I won't be in the car park... sorry.

Now, having started very excited by the thought of my first off-road trip on my GS I,ve done something really stupid... went skiing, stacked it in a big way, broke my arm and dislocated my shoulder (didn't cry!!) and have been told not to do ANYTHING that could replicate the injury for a year.... I can't ride AT ALL! Does anyone know a good psychiatrist, I'm going to go nuts... so, I won't be in the car park... sorry.

A few years ago I fell about 30 feet off a climbing wall with the rope wrapped round my arm and did quite a bit of damage (too painful to cry).

The Doctor said :rob "It'll take years to recover from this" & "You'll never climb again"

One week later I climbed a 20ft wall, 6 months later I climbed the Penon de Ifach 240 mtrs.

Not much point listening to the Doctors, they don't know what they're talking about :augie

Take care with you recovery and stay focused on the playtime ahead :thumb2

Val.

Hiya, might be that you need a better physiotherapist - I dislocated my shoulder - no breaks tho - on Jan 29 and just done my 3rd offroad sojourn this weekend. Physio exercises have worked a treat for me but maybe its worse with a break too. Whatever you do, try and use it cos its a nightmare recovering muscle strength after even the shortest of lay offs! Good luck

Apologies, but this is not an open invite to a trail ride. Have a look what section it is posted in....... GS National Events / Llangollen 15th - 17th May.
The trail rides are for people attending the weekend at The Hand Hotel.
There will be other trail rides but these will be posted in the Off Road Section, please keep tabs on that section.

Timpo.
I plan on camping two mins down the road at the campsite indicated in the other Llangollen thread for the weekend and have put name down for evening meal at said hotel etc and generally will be hanging around talking boll0x about GS's all weekend hopefully, I'll still be ok to attend off road ride?
Do I need a hotel room to attend the event?

To my intense chagrin, I shall now not be able to attend this event so I'd be grateful if you could remove me from the rideout list - I put myself down for the easy ride.

Back
Top Bottom