Green Laning near Ipswich

Porthos1

I have just moved to Wattisham (12 miles N of Ips) and am the proud owner of a new G450X BMW.

Could anybody recommend a contact for some green laning in the area? I am a reasonably experienced rider (also own an F800GS) but am always on the move with work (Army).

I will be based in Wattisham for 2 years and am keen to get to know the area.

Many Thanks.

Hi, I am not local to your neck of the woods but get down to you local book shop and buy an ordinance survey map of your area. (being an army type you will probably know your way around one anyway) In case you don't have any experience then: they come with a handy key of symbols identifying what the various lines and features shown on the map depict. Generally I find them the best way to get off the beaten track, there are of course certain restrictions as to THE RIGHT OF WAY of some greenlanes :mcgun(that can or worms - I am not going to go into too much detail here) just to say - generally if the track is sign posted as public byway, look like they are used and there are no obvious signs saying otherwise then you have every right to use them in a safe, non damaging way giving consideration to other users including the rambler fraternity.

Green lanes are usually shown on the map as a row of twin red dashes.
Hope this helps you as much as it did for me.:thumb

Try contacting ...

... Noddy on here, Team Flatlanders is what you're looking for; although it'd be a lot simpler if you coughed up the £12, then you could pm him :augie

Hi mate, don't know the Ipswich area to well, but plenty of lanes down here in Essex, I'm in Halstead bout 25 from Ipswich, let me know if ya need a lanin buddy, cheers Dusan

I'm in Chelmsford and I'd like to come with you if you go out:rob

Team Flatlanders ...

Hi Guys,

Just a line to let you know we are still about.

Yesterday Noddy organised a run for some Yorkshire lads, that included mud, loose sand and 'pig slurry' ponds,:eek: I dread to think how they will get their own back when we get an invite there.

Runs tend not to be posted, mainly to ensure small group numbers.

As Oblertone said pm Noddy or myself to find out if you want to join in.

Regards Richard

Team Flatlanders

Team Flatlanders,, thanks

Enjoyed the run out on saturday with you all, many thanks for giving us a good day out, this is the sort of stuff you will have to look forward to when you come up here, might even take you over deadmans hill, Michels favourite lane:rolleyes: thanks again for a super day out and making us welcome in your area,chris.:thumb

Attachments

• Picture 007e.JPG
    Picture 007e.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 3,988
When my wrist finally mends (I broke it last weekend in the Brecon Beacons doing the BMW level one advanced course) stalled and tipped over in a ditch!!! . . anyway, when my wrist mends, I want to get into soem green laning and some enduro stuff . . .

Long story short, I spoke to someone today from the Suffolk Advanced Motorcyclists, he's their chief seniot observer, and he does green laning . . . he said that about the only place to go these days is in Thetford Forest!!

I believe there are a few MX tracks around you can play on as well around Ipswich, but I too need to look into it.

Let us know what you find, and I'll do the same :D

Shirley

Thetford Forest ...

Thanks Chris, I'm sure Noddy will post up a report (once he has photos of the GS being taken away by the AA). The kids are taking to spiking mud/waterholes with lumps of iron, glass etc.

The only bit we've done your way, is down Rydale Rig, VERY exciting on a GS.:eek

We are so looking forwad to a run around your patch with the pogo's. Is there anywhere we can park up with the campers?:bounce1

Regards Richard

Many thanks for all of your responses............very helpful. I will be coughing up my £12 to become a subscriber and will PM Noddy shortly.

Seems I am in a good area to get out and about and look forward to exploring.......................

also

You could try the Suffolk TRF (look em up on internet) the Essex boys have a run out once a month, and know the lanes to ride, I'll be on my Yam, the GS is crap with the road tyres especially this time of year, what will you be riding Ukaloon? Regards Dusan

I will be based in Wattisham for 2 years and am keen to get to know the area.

3, 4 or 7?
AAC or a proper cap badge?
Say hello to the deathstar for me. ;)

There isn't a lot left in Suffolk tbh. Theres a little over near Woodbridge and ov course Kings Forest just short of the Norfolk border, then it's just the odd lane dotted around.
Essex fares a litte better as others have said.
Your best bet tho is be prepared to travel.

There's runs on all over the place (one on next saturday on SPTA if you are interested) most of the time.

3, 4 or 7?
AAC or a proper cap badge?
Say hello to the deathstar for me. ;)

There isn't a lot left in Suffolk tbh. Theres a little over near Woodbridge and ov course Kings Forest just short of the Norfolk border, then it's just the odd lane dotted around.
Essex fares a litte better as others have said.
Your best bet tho is be prepared to travel.

There's runs on all over the place (one on next saturday on SPTA if you are interested) most of the time.

Actually in the QRH but posted to AMTAT for 2 years doing a plans job. Thanks for advice on area. Have trailer and willing to travel............unfortunately no can do this Sat as heading down to Weston for the beach race.:mcgun

Thetford forest

Yes Richard there are lots of campsites,,the lane you did is Rudland rigg,,Chris

Actually in the QRH but posted to AMTAT for 2 years doing a plans job.
Ah, forgot they are there now.:blast
I was at 7 for 5 years, black hat tho, not one of those powder puff blues. ;)

Thanks for advice on area. Have trailer and willing to travel............unfortunately no can do this Sat as heading down to Weston for the beach race.:mcgun

Plenty more days to come play.
I usually do at least one or two a month for the enduro/trail bikes and then every two/three months one for the big bikes. Been a bit quiet over the summer tho as been too busy financing, buying and riding GSA.
Back on it now.

Subscribe to this thread and you will see when I put any more up:
http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138713
and obviously keep an eye out on off road event's forum and different area forums for other rides.

You could try the Suffolk TRF (look em up on internet) the Essex boys have a run out once a month, and know the lanes to ride, I'll be on my Yam, the GS is crap with the road tyres especially this time of year, what will you be riding Ukaloon? Regards Dusan

1150GS I'm afraid Dusan. I thought I'd get some off road tyres for this time of the year, but I've no real experience off road.

1150GS I'm afraid Dusan. I thought I'd get some off road tyres for this time of the year, but I've no real experience off road.
You won't need it if you go to Kings Forest.
The tracks are very level and well drained all year round on the whole.
I managed em middle of winter on dragon corsas. ;)

When my wrist finally mends (I broke it last weekend in the Brecon Beacons doing the BMW level one advanced course) stalled and tipped over in a ditch!!! . . anyway, when my wrist mends, I want to get into soem green laning and some enduro stuff . . .

Long story short, I spoke to someone today from the Suffolk Advanced Motorcyclists, he's their chief seniot observer, and he does green laning . . . he said that about the only place to go these days is in Thetford Forest!!

I believe there are a few MX tracks around you can play on as well around Ipswich, but I too need to look into it.

Let us know what you find, and I'll do the same :D

Shirley

Sorry I am a bit late joining in, but I only just arrived in the past few days.

I have done some good off-road days at the MX track at Belstead. Works out about £90 if you hire a bike and gear (Kawa 125 or 250) or a lot less if you bring your own machine. I did this through a mate in the Suzuki club. Should be another in the spring time.

As for Thetford forest, the BMW Club run a GS weekend including both novice and more advanced off-roading. Next year's is over the bank holiday weekend at the end of May. I am aiming to take whatever GS I have for some novice spills. Not taking the Strom as I don't think it would survive... :eek

Monty

sorry to hear of the break hope it mends soon i bet you had a blast i did on 1/2 courses may see you about town
Regards Mick

Sat 15 Nov Greenlaning

Is anybody keen to meet up this Sat for a green lane rideout. Thinking about Thetford Forest, but have never been before so could ideally do with some local knowledge.

I will be on a G450X and therefore not up for loads of road miles but will happily play in the dirt all day:bounce1

AdamA - Was thinking of copying your route from a few weeks ago around the forest.....couple of questions:

Is it easy enough to follow with an ordnance survey?

Will an Enduro ready 450X be suitable (race ready with no indicators and tiny numberplate) or does the area attract police attention or involve alot of road?

Let me know if people are keen and lets see if the weather improves. If somebody has local knowledge or can recommend somewhere else/better, I am all ears!

Many Thanks

Back
Top Bottom