Alps 2009 - let's do it

I might be up for this, like the idea, just need to see how work is nearer the time.

I'm the other side of the alps, so could ride up to meet.
Hotels sound fine to me.

Did the Simplon last year, like to try Stelvio next.

Arsey, if you're down doing the Route Napolean next year, give me a shout, I live at the beginning.

Watch out for mobile speed cameras just south of Castellane evry Sunday at the moment:(

Hi there i realise im pretty new here but i reckon i could be up for this. I did pretty much all the roads you listed this year in june with my polish mate and we had a great time, though we camped.

we got lost quite often due to damn sat navs, and it took us 8 hours to do 100 miles in italy!!! it might have helped if we had any maps or sat navs with the maps loaded in them... now sorted haha.

However with my fluent french "parlez vous anglais!?" we got sorted.

Might be able to persuade the mrs but otherwise ill just come on me own or if allowed to I could bring my polish mate if that would be ok?

I think were campers nowadays as we refuse to pay for beds but decent grub is top of the table as far as were concerned.

We would find our own accomodation on the way and link up with you guys if that would be ok with yourselves?

:bounce1

Hi

OK, been following this with interest and it does look good...I am interested, but with the same reservations as some others. I am not a cheap skate and your early plans looks good :thumb.

I feel obliged to say that it may be a problem for some others if you consider adding me to the list as apparently I have history on the forum. If you have any concerns then drop me a line at nastydude (at) gmail (.) com

Cheers

Adie

Hi there i realise im pretty new here but i reckon i could be up for this. I did pretty much all the roads you listed this year in june with my polish mate and we had a great time, though we camped.

we got lost quite often due to damn sat navs, and it took us 8 hours to do 100 miles in italy!!! it might have helped if we had any maps or sat navs with the maps loaded in them... now sorted haha.

However with my fluent french "parlez vous anglais!?" we got sorted.

Might be able to persuade the mrs but otherwise ill just come on me own or if allowed to I could bring my polish mate if that would be ok?

I think were campers nowadays as we refuse to pay for beds but decent grub is top of the table as far as were concerned.

We would find our own accomodation on the way and link up with you guys if that would be ok with yourselves?

:bounce1

Hello mate. The whole concept of the trip is sharing superb biking, good food and drink with a bunch of like-minded folk. To that end the focus has to be on looking after the group's interests which is mainly route planning, any goods and services, accommodation and food. If you're not planning to stay with the group then there's no law that says you can't tag along for some of the fun. Just as long as you realise that in terms of making bookings etc it's only those that have committed to being in the group that can be guaranteed to be looked after.

This trip looks like it may be popular so I suppose we should all start to consider a group size limit. Any thoughts?

I think we just prefer camping ... trying to pretend to be men.. the whole outdoors thing.. raaahhhh haha. Still definetely up for hanging around, but sometimes we like to split off as we we have found that riding in a big group can be really slow. Not trying to sound arrogant there though. Its just easy when theres only 2 or three of you.

We would definetely be up for a couple of days of hanging around with you lot though. We could just have an idea of where to meet up and we would be there. obviously with some phone no. exchanges etc (oeerr)

We can show you some roads, you us... mutual exchange :)

Still definetely up for hanging around, but sometimes we like to split off as we we have found that riding in a big group can be really slow.

Have to agree with that - travelled in big groups before, and simple things like filling up with fuel can take nearly an hour!:eek:

So long as everyone understands what to expect, and what to expect from others, it'll work, IMHO. For example, I'm into photography, so just as likely to sit on the side of a mountain for an hour or two, clicking away, then ride and catch up.:augie

Magnum - what's the latest rough numbers of those wanting to go? I'm still a definite maybe at the moment...

JB

There does need to be a maximum group size, not least because accommodation could become a problem otherwise. My gut reaction is that 15 is enough.

There should be no problems with this group size if it's organised properly. This is how I see it working.

Split the group into 3 - slow, medium and fast. That way each rider has an excellent chance of staying in touch with others in the same group. We'll all want to stop to take pics but at least of you are riding with 4 others then this shouldn't cause major problems, nor will it cause big delays at fuel stations. If you want to move up or down a group then just change for the next ride , as long as all 3 groups stay roughly the same size.

All three groups could either meet for lunch or leave the rendezvous until the evening. Last person to arrive does unfortunately have to buy all the beer next day :beerjug:

I'll read this post fully later - but it would be good to meet up with those who come ... I live local, though I'm not a local!

Avoid end july/august - the passes will be packed with MPVs and BMW X3's fully of people showing granny and the folks back home the alps .....

Magnum, fwit, that's what we did when I went with 11 others - works well! :thumb

15 sounds like a plan...:beerjug:

...I'll try and hurry up and confirm...

JB

we've ridden quite a lot in switzerland and mrs used to work there, but i'm not sure you can have too much of a good thing. please put me and mrs cookie down as maybe :)

we've ridden quite a lot in switzerland and mrs used to work there, but i'm not sure you can have too much of a good thing. please put me and mrs cookie down as maybe :)
Done. See the "who's coming" thread :thumb

Magnum,rather than make a huge logistical nightmare for yourself it might be an option to provide a suggested route along with some recommended sights to see plus the daily/nightly rendezvous point and let natural selection take it's course,I'm all for a mad charge with a fast-er group but from time to time I'll want to drop into tourist mode and soak up the views, visit some interesting places and take some pics along the way,there's more to see and do in the Alps than a week permits anyway,just my 0.02c ;)
The Stelvio is often mentioned but few people seem to have ridden further south than Bormio after the (almost) obligatory Alsatian burger at the top:rolleyes: In 2005 a few of us ventured South and ended up in Bolzano,travelling along the SS42 and SS43 via Ponte di Legno and Tassullo and it was km after km of billiard table smooth bends/hills/crests and hairpins-awesome :clap

27513221_UHFad-L-1.jpg

Heading South into Northern Italy from Bormio-mmmmmmm :thumb2

27513237_yY63d-L.jpg

Hello Magnum, may be up for this trip, done most of the passes before but on my own, this time the wife would be with me, I'll keep a weather eye open on this one, as yet no plans for next year, keep us informed.

Regards Ullygully.:thumb

good times..........

oh yeah,bring it on...i was on my gs by the way, our dutch mate , Andres was giving it some on his elderly r100 rt,grounding the pegs out a lot, loadsa fun.Paul
forgot to say the guy on the right,in the green waterproofs, hes the STIG!!

Attachments

• DSCF0835.jpg
    DSCF0835.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 269
  • DSCF0793.jpg
    DSCF0793.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 285
dont get me wrong, didnt mean i plan to stay in some flea pit for 20chf a night etc..... prices mentioned are absolutly fine 4 me just had some experiences of swiss 4* prices - which were shocking.

Back
Top Bottom