G450X Decal Kit - Advice Required

Porthos1

I have just taken delivery of the Black and White 450 decals from Speedbrain (ordered through North Oxford BMW).

Can anybody advise me on the best way to remove the original decals? I have heard so many different ways of doing it that I am now confused (easily done!).

In the past, on my KTM, I have pulled with brute force and off they come, but I am assuming with BMW quality, the originals will be stuck to the plastic like flies around sh***!!!

Any help please?

PS - Thank you to North Oxford for another VERY efficient spares delivery process.

Hi Alex,

I started peeling them off a showroom bike earlier today, came off quite easily but the Bodyshop guy used gentle heat to soften them a little, hairdrier should do it. Don't use a paint stripping heat gun, likelihood of melting the panels.

On our sticker kit, the left hand graphic seems to be a trickier fit than the right, also the hole for the rear rad shroud bolt was not cut out during manufacture. Check yours, it's easier to cut a hole out before you apply the graphics.

Spray panels with soapy water & slide each graphic in to place, then squeeze excess water & air from the centre outwards.

Edit: just realised yours is a Speedbrain kit, ours is the BMW kit.

I have just fitted the black set as well - looks very nice :thumb

Removing the old one:

I removed the panels and let them come up to room temperature, my wife then peeled the old stickers off however it left some residue so a liberal wiping with white spirit is needed, don't be disheartened when nothing happens at first, it needs a few minutes for the glue to soften then use old clean cloths and kitchen tissues to remove the now sticky and snot like residue. Finally wash the panels in warm soapy water (The bath is good for this)

Fitting instructions come with the new graphics and they go one equally well wet or dry, keep an eye out for bubbles.

Good luck :)

Thank you for your replies.

Well the traumatic experience is over:bounce1 I found that however much I prepared myself lining up the decals, as soon as you take off the protective backing, the whole world falls apart (start sneezing, phone rings, hands start twitching etc etc!)

Managed to get them on and very pleased with how the bike looks (photos to follow). Only one bubble to be seen on a number panel but I can live with that given the life changing experience that it was!

Thanks guys.

Alex

Pop the edge of the bubble with pin & squeeze excess moisture / air out.

Pics please.

Back
Top Bottom