Power commander

MOTOTECH,

Just out of interest, was the bike a 2008 model year (with the latest and more powerful engine) or a 2007 model on a 2008 reg?

Curious...

I'm kind of curious here.

I've just done my forst 2000m on my new 08 GS. It's probably one of the best set up fuel injected bikes I've ever ridden: no noticeable surging at low revs so easy U turns etc, stable on a neutral throttle for long corners and generally sweet as a nut once warmed up.

The engine runs very lean (due to design parameters and smarty pants emission management) and seems to manage this extremely well. I've ridden some other modern FI bikes that were frankly shocking, the latest Varadero springs to mind immediately.

I just can't see the point in fitting a PC to the GS. Don't get me wrong, I don't have the religious objections of some here - I've 'dabbled' in dyno and fuelling before, especially on carbed bikes, trying to get better setups, but the GS seems extremely good to me just as it came.

I'll be fitting a replacement Remus can for added burble next year but don't think anything more is needed until 'proved'.

So a question for those who have gone through this route. Was it because you found the bike ran rough or was it because you're actually that kind of person,: a tinkerer/perfectionist type who just has to have everything completely sprted.

Not being judgemental here (I've had wheels powdercoated etc just to make me happy), I'm just curious.

Bike was 2008 model year.
I have fitted PC's to many different bikes over the years, & there hasn't been one that didn't improve.
I know what you mean about the Varadero Mr Badger, until recently, Honda have fitted the worst injection systems to bikes & the only way to improve them has been to fit a Power Commander.
The surging on the 1200 I did was probably due to the exhaust & filter fitted & the injection system not being able to compensate enough, rather than a problem with the fueling on a standard bike.

Brian

Did you get a dual map - i.e. a map for each cylinder or just a single one?

I got a dual map. I was shocked at how lean the GSA was at certain revs. The map shows having to add 26% fuel at some points but also taking away 10% due to over fuelling in others.
I was not chasing power just the fuelling being better. I think the 08's are worse than the older ones for fuelling and the tech guy said it is the worst 1200 boxer he has seen for lean running.
It is a different bike now.

Prop

yes it looks like the company tries to meet EURO 5 specs actually....

PC 1200

I will try and attach a graph that shows my 2006 12GSA with Techlusion Power Controller, full Akra race system, k&N, power snorkell, it's the top line and a standard 2008 12GSA is the bottom line.

I have since sold my 2006 and just bought a 2008 model, I will be getting a Power Commander fitted. It is possible to set up two maps, one for touring and one for sportier driving, they can be changed with a flick of a switch which can be mounted on the handle bars.

Attachments

• R1200GS08_vs_Kevinsbike-2-s.jpg
    R1200GS08_vs_Kevinsbike-2-s.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 956
So a question for those who have gone through this route. Was it because you found the bike ran rough or was it because you're actually that kind of person,: a tinkerer/perfectionist type who just has to have everything completely sprted.

Not being judgemental here (I've had wheels powdercoated etc just to make me happy), I'm just curious.

I've had one recently fitted to my 07 and am very happy with the results. First time I've ever put one on a bike despite many years of sportsbikes and track days.

The bike used to hesitate slightly when given a big handful of gas, such as for enthusiastic overtakes, then go like a rocket once it had a little "think". Almost like a mild version of the sensation you get when traction control kicks in on a car :nenau

The PC III has totally cured this, and made the bike much more responsive and willing throughout the rev range. I didn't feel there was anything wrong before (other than th high end hesitance) but was pleasantly surprised by the improvement everywhere.

Not much of a power increase (it already had a full Remus system fitted before it went in) but improved fueling throughout.

Interestingly, my bike (with the "old" less powerful engine) makes the same power on the dyno as the 08s shown in this thread (with a PC III, filter, and full system). Makes you wonder about BMWs claimed HP increase for the 08 model year doesn't it?

The '08 model year bikes both got the higher compression version of the motor from the R1200RT. :nenau

Interestingly, my bike (with the "old" less powerful engine) makes the same power on the dyno as the 08s shown in this thread (with a PC III, filter, and full system). Makes you wonder about BMWs claimed HP increase for the 08 model year doesn't it?

IIRC the 08 engine only makes full power when running high octane fuel (98 RON) :nenau

Andres

I agree.

I've had one recently fitted to my 07 and am very happy with the results. First time I've ever put one on a bike despite many years of sportsbikes and track days.

The bike used to hesitate slightly when given a big handful of gas, such as for enthusiastic overtakes, then go like a rocket once it had a little "think". Almost like a mild version of the sensation you get when traction control kicks in on a car :nenau

The PC III has totally cured this, and made the bike much more responsive and willing throughout the rev range. I didn't feel there was anything wrong before (other than th high end hesitance) but was pleasantly surprised by the improvement everywhere.

Not much of a power increase (it already had a full Remus system fitted before it went in) but improved fueling throughout.

The data posted by Brian at Mototech, was recorded from my 08 GSA, in the 4 weeks since brian fitted the pc 111 ive put about a 1100 miles on the bike, and im pretty pleased with the improvement. I agree with what SPL has said, over all the bike is performing better, throttle response is better, basically the bike wants to go, none of this stuttering or hesitation and according to the onboard computer its doing 3 miles more to the gallon so more efficient as well.
Good job Brain for sorting it:bow
no complaints.:thumb2

power commander & custom map

Hi
i have an 08 gsa with k&n and Remus full system, had a pc fitted and a custom map added and the the results are very pleasing, pulls from lower down and is much smoother and feels quicker, the best way to describe it, is it feels 25kg lighter more like a standard gs.
Had it fitted by dynospeed in chigwell "excellent service" and the resulting final rear wheel bhp is 107.26 bhp & 84.06 ft/lb torque.
i will upload the chart once i work out how to.

Julianf

Read this from Bridgestone

Dynamometer Tests
Dyno runs place extreme, localised stresses on motorcycle tyres, sometimes causing invisible internal damage to the tyre’s construction. It is possible that this damage may lead to tyre failure at some point. Never use a tyre for street, track day or off-road use that has been used on a dyno. If a dyno run is to be made we advise that a tyre due to be discarded should be used, and then removed from the bike immediately following the dyno run.

Interested if anybody who has done the dyno runs bothers with this advise.

Dynamometer Tests
Dyno runs place extreme, localised stresses on motorcycle tyres, sometimes causing invisible internal damage to the tyre’s construction. It is possible that this damage may lead to tyre failure at some point. Never use a tyre for street, track day or off-road use that has been used on a dyno. If a dyno run is to be made we advise that a tyre due to be discarded should be used, and then removed from the bike immediately following the dyno run.

:eek:
Er.....NO...never had any problems.:thumb

where was this done

I have fitted a Power Commander to mine, an 08 GSA. Really pleased with it. Vast improvements through out the rev range, just nice to ride, mid range grunt is fantastic. I bought it from Dynojet UK, they retail about £270, but they fitted mine and spent about 3 hours with it on the dyno creating a map which they will put on there website for downloading. Bike spec is K&N filter, Remus headers with std can.
Well worth the money.

Prop

Hi Prop

I would be interested in having this done too but have a full laser system with no cat and std filter so would presumably need a new custom map. Did the £270 inc the dyno and mapping and where was the dyno facility?

If anyone else has good first hand knowledge of PC fitters and dyno facilites I would be interested.

Cheers
Harry

For those of you that have fitted the PC and seen improvements, did you disconnect the O2 sensors, or leave them connected?

If you disconnected them, what, if anything, did you do to tidy the open connectors ?

Last edited:
If you leave the sensors connected, they will cause the injection to reprogram itself to a lean setting and undo the re-mapping. I removed the sensors completely, fitted blanking plugs in the exhausts and sealed the end of the open connectors left behind on the bike with self-amalgamating tape.

For those of you that have fitted the PC and seen improvements, did you disconnect the O2 sensors, or leave them connected?

If you disconnected them, what, if anything, did you do to tidy the open connectors ?
I did exactly as Peter describes, there's some info and installation 'photo story' here although I've still to write the installation notes:
BMW R1200GS DynoJet Power Commander PCIII USB Installation and Setup

Dynamometer Tests

Wot!!??.......I'd be interested to see this for myself, linky please!
I know dozens of people personally that have had their bikes dyno'd (and had two of my own bikes dyno'd) plus know of a few hundred more via various biking forums and have never heard from/read of anyone having had problems with their tyres resulting from Dyno runs. I'm sure in this 'Health & Safety' over-conscious world of today the H&S lot would have jumped on this if it were true!

Hi Prop

I would be interested in having this done too but have a full laser system with no cat and std filter so would presumably need a new custom map. Did the £270 inc the dyno and mapping and where was the dyno facility?

If anyone else has good first hand knowledge of PC fitters and dyno facilites I would be interested.

Cheers
Harry
He was a jammy bugger if that included Dyno time.......I asked around/posted here and £100 for dyno runs/PCIII set up is the minimum to expect, I paid £120 at JHS Racing in Bristol. Make sure you look for someone with the latest Dyno equipment and Dynojet Power Commander 'acreditation' (check their website;-)

I did just as Peter has already said and he's spot on re having to disconnect the Lambda (O2) sensors. Some info and installation 'photo story' here (I've still to write the installation notes :blush ):
BMW R1200GS DynoJet Power Commander PCIII USB Installation and Setup

Anyone in or near to Colchester can visit Seton Tuning who have Dyno days on most Saturdays (not this weekend due to last BSB at Oulton Park) They charge £20 for a run which is well worth it IMO.:D

Their website is www.seton-tuning.co.uk

Back
Top Bottom