Green card for Croatia & Slovenia

JayGee

Reaction score
Another numpty question for you seasoned east European travellers (btw thanks for the info on getting to Dubrovnik in my other post).

I know a green card isn't strictly essential for Croatia and Slovenia but both tourist boards advise (on their web sites) that I should take one as it's the most readily recognised insurance document by local/border police. My insurer, Ebike, don't issue green cards as they are no longer required in Europe. So, do I really need a green card or can I get away without one? The UK government web site says I don't need one but the way they are going recently they could have got that wrong as well:blast.

Just back form Croatia/Slovenia last week and i definitely didn't have/need one. Don't think i got stopped/docs checked at any border crossing during the entire trip, except the ferries.

Same here, didn't get asked for docs at any border crossing. Just had my normal ins cert with me...no problems.
Chris

Slovenia is in the EU now. Croatia is desperate to become an EU member. Both countries get thousands of EU visitors a year.

EU documentation has been standardised for a while now. The officials in both countries will have no problem understanding your documents, should you have to speak to them. This will only happen if you have been naughty and they will be more interested in whether you have the means to pay the fine.

Not required

I travelled from Turkey to Germany 2 months ago and there was no need for the Green card apart from Serbia.

Passport stamped in Croatia and Slovenia.

HTH< Nick.

All EU countries should be covered by your standard insurance policy for the same cover as you have at home in the UK. Plus Croatia as already said, they are desperate to join the EU. You can go as far as Greece, Rumania and Bulgaria on your normal insurance certificate. So whats stopping you!!!!

Rod

Although Croatia isn't yet in the EU, curiously my insurance certificate lists it as being one of the EU countries covered.

When we went into Croatia from Slovenia in April this year, it was the only country out of 18 or so where we had our passports stamped, but we weren't asked to produce any documents. The border guards were'nt at all friendly though, and actually chased - ran after us! - for taking photos of the sign saying 'Welcome to Croatia'....

Hungary let us in no bother at all despite us being chased! :eek:onyack

Only places you'll need a Green Card in that part of the world are Serbia, Bosnia, Montenegro and anywhere south of them. Bosnia and Montenegro you can buy insurance on the border really cheaply. Serbia they asked us for about 60euro's each for the insurance (bribe more like), so told em to stuff it.

Generally border crossing around croatia and slovenia/hungary/italy you'll be asked for Passport and possibly your proof of ownership of your bike.

So NO, don't bother chasing a green card. :D

Just back form Croatia/Slovenia last week and i definitely didn't have/need one. Don't think i got stopped/docs checked at any border crossing during the entire trip, except the ferries.

Hi Trev, I would be interested in your ride report if you are going to do one pics/info etc :beerjug:

Hi Trev, I would be interested in your ride report if you are going to do one pics/info etc :beerjug:

Hi Alte,

i have been awful lazy not getting a report done before now :eek:, i will try to get something together soon :thumb2

Although Croatia isn't yet in the EU, curiously my insurance certificate lists it as being one of the EU countries covered.

When we went into Croatia from Slovenia in April this year, it was the only country out of 18 or so where we had our passports stamped, but we weren't asked to produce any documents. The border guards were'nt at all friendly though, and actually chased - ran after us! - for taking photos of the sign saying 'Welcome to Croatia'....

Hungary let us in no bother at all despite us being chased! :eek:onyack

They rolled their eyes at us when we asked to have our passports stamped and were quite insistent that we didn't need them stamping. We got them as souvenirs. And that was early March 2008.

Back
Top Bottom