Tips for riding in snow?

This should help :D

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/22kGzGNroSI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/22kGzGNroSI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I ride the bike all year round and rarely avoid riding in snowy or icy conditions unless I can justify it to the boss, I agree with most of the views above.....

...stay relaxed +1 :thumb2
...keep your visor open a slight crack to stop misting +1 :thumb2
...Use gears not brakes +1 :thumb2
...Keep it as slow as the conditions demand (if you end up doing 5mph, so what, at least you stay safe) +1 :thumb2
...Make sure you have the right gear for freezing temps even if when you set off its "mild" +1 :thumb2
...if your hands or feet get too cold then pull over (ideally somewhere where can can get inside and out of the weather) and get the blood flowing (the colder you get the less concentration you have) +1 :thumb2
...avoid riding in blizzards at night.... it's like watching that "star field" screen saver (can't see a single thing with the headlights on)....just find somehwere warm to stop (garage/pub/shop) and wait for it to pass.
...try to stick to main roads. It might mean added dangers of tail-gaters, more spray, etc (no to mention a heavy coating of salt on the bike), but they are generally the safest roads to be on (more chance of getting help if you drop it or break down, and usually the ones that are more likely to have been gritted and therefore give better traction). +1 :thumb2

Right On little Mark. That pretty much describes my trip to work this morning. Parting words of my girlfriend as she left were... Damn it's raining.

I got up, left the apartment, took the lift to the underground car park, fired up the beemer and popped up to ground level. I was a tad surprised to see an inch of snow and ice everywhere. :eek:

I rode to work like miss daisy... that's if Miss daisy had been a motorcyclist of course. End result................................... I'm still here and the bike is fine :D

now I have to go home :augie

Well, I've read most of the postings on this topic and I have to admit that being a newbie to motorcycling and only having joined the UKGSer a few weeks ago I was expecting to see replies of bikers beating their chests and saying how easily they found riding in snow and that everybody should do it etc etc but what I've actually found is a everyone showing a lot of common sense.

I live on a small semi-rural estate where, to get to a salted main road, I have to negotiate small estate roads and a very iffy left or right turn onto a steep hill. The total journey length to the main road is approx a quarter of a mile.

I bought my GS 1200 in November this year brand spanking new and I've done 300 miles on it. The bike hasn't turned a wheel for the last 3 weeks mainly because of the icy conditions. I don't consider myself as having the skill to ride on the estate roads and to skid and drop my bike I would think would cause damage to the bike and me and would do my confidence no good at all.

I get the odd snidey comment at work ".....fairweather rider blah blah blah"

I'm sticking with the majority of users on the forum and until the weather picks up the bike is staying where it is and I'll use the car.

Thanks to all who have commented and I'm glad to be with the majority vote on this one!!

john1215

I bought my GS 1200 in November this year brand spanking new and I've done 300 miles on it. The bike hasn't turned a wheel for the last 3 weeks mainly because of the icy conditions. I don't consider myself as having the skill to ride on the estate roads and to skid and drop my bike I would think would cause damage to the bike and me and would do my confidence no good at all.

I'm sticking with the majority of users on the forum and until the weather picks up the bike is staying where it is and I'll use the car.

Thanks to all who have commented and I'm glad to be with the majority vote on this one!!

john1215
Wise words, riding should be fun regardless of the time of year and the moment it stops being enjoyable take a break :thumb

.. I don't consider myself as having the skill to ride on the estate roads and to skid and drop my bike I would think would cause damage to the bike and me and would do my confidence no good at all.
If the people making the comments have ridden to work themselves, then I suppose they could be excused for taking the mick. But if they've driven into work in their lovely warm 4x4 (and the chances are that they have) they can FRO and keep their mouth shut.

That's what I said, but I wasn't as concise. :D :D

nowt wrong with a bit of snow:guitarist

Attachments

• IMGP4066 (Small).JPG
    IMGP4066 (Small).JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 89
Not always the case. Last time I binned the GS was in the snow, got too close to the gutter and the camber just had the back wheel coming around on me.

The pain is always picking the bloody things up again......as by definition its slippy :)

Getting too close to the kerb also "blocks" the wheels and you then have no steerage at all and you end up following it until you can fly ff at a tangent.. hopefully upright rather than arse over tit in the dirt.

I bottled put of the Whitstable Toy Run at the weekend as it was so slippery I couldn't get any grip with the Punto let alone trying with two wheels. It was frosty on the top but very icy underneath where the previous few days rain had iced over.

I've done icy before and after a while the fun goes!!!

2047134070_c21d024f87_m.jpg

Well, I dont mind snow!!!. When it arrives these days i tend to keep the bike in the warm and let the car take the strain, although this hasnt always been the case. I will NEVER EVER EVER forget having to ride to work in the snow, a distance of about 8 miles. At the time i was riding a Suzuki GP125 2 stroke thing, with not much money and even less in the way of sensible kit. I rode almost the entire route with my feet down along the A30, arrived at work a gibbering wreck, with ice INSIDE my boots, only to be told not much point you being here, no-one else has bothered you may as well go home. I think i told em to feck off and that i wasnt moving till i had dried out/warmed up. Seem to remember someone feeling sorry for the poor f*cker on the bike as my boss called me, gave me a lift home and then collected me in yet more snow the next day........

snow - not ice.
mark2jag -that brings back memories.
i used to do daft things too.... :thumb2:D
yes, i love to go and play in it :bounce1 - for as long as i like / not having to reach a destination.
great way to know your Bike and find out in peace as opposed to trauma "what happens when i....." :green gri

not done it yet on the GS and cant really (sucessfully) do it on the Guzzi, (maybe if i took up bodybuilding first :rolleyes:) - anyhow - it has linked brakes - one false move and Timber!!!
there is the 'biting off more than i can chew' aspect.

mmmmm :mmmm
note to self - if over the xmas hols it snows... take the time to go up the mountains (20 minutes away)... :bounce1

I went out again the other morning and the temp was only -1 so was feeling happier than the previous few days when it was -5. I saw a woman in front of me driving at a sensible speed. I knew something was up then because most drivers around here drive like feckin idiots in all conditions.

Anyway she got to the T junction ahead of me and gently turned left. I slowed using the gears fearing potential black ice. I slowed to a stop without the use of the brakes. I gently placed my left foot on the ground and there was no friction at all. It was pure ice and I felt if the bike had lent to the left even 2 degrees off the vertical plane that would have been it and I'd kissing the tarmac

Theres not much fun in ice riding unless you have the right tyres. Of course in these variable and temperate climes theres no point.

snow and ice

Just returned from two week trip to the pyrenees on the france spanish border. Minus 8.5 degrees each morning and a cup of hot water down the ignition barrel to unice it will give you and idea of the conditions. I found riding up and down twisty hairpins in the snow and ice of which there was a lot , ok with knobblies on my gsa 2007. Use your legs off the pegs as out-riggers, when you see black ice, smoothly reduce throttle and just roll over the patches of ice ,clutch out and keep the bike upright as possible. Uphill will be tougher but try and keep on fresh snow and avoid the ice if at all possible. Above all practice the technique for a solo pickup of the bike if it falls on the ice.

Attachments

• n831530011_4906258_3721.jpg
    n831530011_4906258_3721.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 60

Back
Top Bottom