Adding LED's to pannier question

essjay

Reaction score
Considering adding some LED's to the panniers to act either as a fog light ot just an indication light of how wide the bike is.

The thing I'm thinking of is how to best come up with a quick disconnect function. Could I use a stereo 3.5mm cable and jack? The same has the jacks on the end of headphones but I'd be sending 12v+ down one side the other as ground as opposed to audio left and right.

Would it work? Can't think why it wouldn't as long as the 3.5mm female port was waterproofed while not in use (ie. get marine ports with covers).

Considering adding some LED's to the panniers to act either as a fog light ot just an indication light of how wide the bike is.

Even though light kits are available from GiVi, I decided to keep it simple by using 3M reflective sheeting behind the GiVi reflectors. Doing so made a very noticeable difference.

397313833_JaPGt-L.jpg

Additional info.

Thanks Digga. I've been looking for a source for electrical stuff and this site fits the bill. :thumb2

Theres loads of stuff on there, it all seems to be top quality as well.
His shrink tube is the DB's :D as are his relay kits.:augie

My chap fitted these to his panniers - and as I'm usually the one following him I can certainly say that you cannot ignore them :D:D

STL-78RB.jpg

He wired them into the existing loom using the same circuits - rear light and brake light.
They can be wired for indicators as well, but he didn't do this as it's a red lense.
He used the 3 way AMP Superseals to make a waterproof connection that's easily disconnected when not using panniers.

AMP1.jpg

No lights
rear81.jpg

Tail lights only
rear7.jpg

Brake lights on
rear4.jpg

Again, tail lights only
rear2.jpg

and again, with brake lights on
rear1.jpg

They're so good we decided to import some and put them in the shop :D

check out these...

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/home/homepage.php

then check out the motorcycle section.

also check the glow fuses which light up when the fuse blows...cool.

aha weatherproof connectors:
Weatherproof connectors.
Supplied in sets of male & female housings, centre & end seals,
terminals and terminal locking plates.
Overall dimensions: (6 way) 22x29x44mm.
For cables up to 1.0 mm2.
Prices shown for connectors are for complete sets,
including both halves and terminals.

Ref Type £(each) £(10) Enter quantity
SWP1 1 way £2.15 £17.16
SWP2 2 way £3.35 £26.78
SWP3 3 way £3.93 £31.46
SWP4 4 way £5.52 £44.20
SWP5 5 way £6.92 £55.38
SWP6 6 way £8.03 £64.22
Spare terminals
Ref Type £(qty) £(100) Enter quantity
3-5550 Male £1.81 (10) £13.56
3-5560 Female £1.81 (10) £13.56
3-7750 Blanking plug £0.24 (each) £19.37

here:http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/connectors/multiconnectors.php

Im liking the 3m reflective material behind the plastic bit on the topbox, cheers.:)

Back
Top Bottom