Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Road ride out

25 Mar 1949 - 10 Nov 2016 Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Devon View Post
    I would be happy to lead, or help out, in a rideout.
    I just knew as soon as you saw this, you would volunteer ,
    Cheers Andy

Trippy
    Quote Originally Posted by Crapaud View Post
    I asked you many times exactly what it is that you think you could be liable for and you couldn't answer. Instead you just kept repeating third hand myths that you could be "liable". Liable for what?
    I am not just repeating a third hand myth as you put it. This is a subject that has been debated at length here many times before and one that some of the 'great minds' of UKGSer have failed to agree on.

You have in previous posts seen the likes of Tuned In say .. unless you can state true upheld claims in this country.... anything else is just scare mongering

Fanum states .. People are responsible for themselves under the road traffic act and various other construction/use type obligations- and as long as you don't injure them, cause them to injure themselves or give them advise that leaves you liable (like saying 'this ford is OK and safe to ride through) then you're ok..

As far as I'm aware these two moderators and the others who have made such reassurances are not legally trained.

On the other hand you have Judge who held the position of club manager and many others taking the view they do.

We discussed the matter in work and some of those involved including, a control room supervisor (an incident manager for police pursuts and the like), a Police officer (ex traffic) and a health & safety rep, were all of the same opinion ... a very very grey area, but all agreed that in the case of an incident you could possibilly be leaving yourself open to being held responsable / liable and not a position that any of them would volunteer to be put in.

Sorry if in Proffs opinion 3 weeks is short notice to cancel a rideout but I have made my decision, and yes I would still like to go on a ride if I can, I just am not prepared to put my name down as an organiser of it.

There is no reason to have a big debate about it now and get all worked up, I have made a decision that suits me and now I would just like to have a nice weekend, buy Kenny a drink and go out in Tarkas sidecar.

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Trippy View Post

We discussed the matter in work and some of those involved including, a control room supervisor (an incident manager for police pursuts and the like), a Police officer (ex traffic) and a health & safety rep, were all of the same opinion ... a very very grey area, but all agreed that in the case of an incident you could possibilly be leaving yourself open to being held responsable / liable and not a position that any of them would volunteer to be put in.
    You still haven't answered the question at all. What is it that you fear you will be responsible or liable for???? And why?

If a rider is following you and has a fatal accident, how do you think that you are responsible for that? Unless you are found to be directly negligent and that negligence caused the accident then there is nothing to worry about. I have enough confidence in my own ability to know that I can lead a ride out without being negligent enough to cause injury to others.

Conversely, even if you are not the designated "ride leader" but your actions cause a fatal accident then you would be liable if that was the case. Any liability would be based on your actions not on the title you give yourself.

Sorry but I really think you are being pathetic about this.

Toubab Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Trippy you're being a .i.

look back into the history of the debates on this liability issue and it basically comes down to the 'club 'officials being bothered that they could be held liable if something nasty happened on a campsite that they had set up.......out on the road though, as you quoted me above, people are legally responsible for themselves and to their obligations under the road traffic act.

You also quoted my caveat.....just common sense- if i do a fords ride and tell everyone to hit the water at full speed to make it across and it turns out that the water is 10 foot deep and someone drowns, there's a pretty good chance I could be sued.
    You're being ridiculous Jim, though it is of course your right to do so
    सत्यमेव जयते

What a waste. Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    I take ride outs to morocco - last one had a guy badly smashed up, and i mean badly. But why should i be liable. Never gave it a second thought.

If everyone worries themselves silly about what might happen, and it'll all be my fault, i'll get the blame, what sorry, sad, pathetic people your all letting yourselves be turned into.

Roughy toughy adventure riders - Show some backbone and stand up to the nanny state
    All your BMW servicing needs at the .gsshop.biz, including 1200 models

Recommended as an "excellent independant" in Ride magazine 2009.

As ever, Steptoe sums it up perfectly.

Think Trippy suffers a testicular deficiency...

Are you running the event without Public Liability Insurance just to demonstrate the size of yours

Stay Frosty Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    i hate to bring this up, but...

wasn't Pragmatix either sued or threatened with a law suit from the insurance company concerned, for an accident that happened on a ride out he was leading?

Chislehurst Borders (According to the estate agent)
    Aye aye, seen my name's been taken in vain here.

My days of getting embroiled in a debate on this subject are well over, what's been posted is history, the debate, the decision and the outcomes are there for all to see and are from way back when and I'm time-served and out of the politics of it all thank feck.

Poor old Jim what a post to come back with

He don't help himself any favours do he

I can understand his perspective naturally, I just don't understand why now and not then when as one of the originators of the idea behind the weekend and subsequently as the instigator of the rideout idea why this wasn't enough of an issue then to give it a swerve

For me there's a double standard of not wishing to lead the ride for the reasons given but being prepared to go on it believing someone who has chosen to lead might become liable to pursuit by a 3rd party but maybe that's just me

That said it is his prerogative to change his mind I don't know why its been decided by his mates to deride him for it publicly but thats one for Keith and Sid to answer, all I will say is don't let this become a repeat of the fun and games happening with the Langollwotsit gig over Tarka's flounce.

Luckily Devon has come to the fore and is a worthy replacement so let it be fellas and don't let this weekend implode or lead to fall outs eh?

p.s. Cookie, yes he did, a MAG ride and their legal team represented him

The future's bright.... Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by judge View Post
    p.s. Cookie, yes he did, a MAG ride and their legal team represented him
    Are you a 100% sure about that Andy? Pragmatix told someone I know very well that that wasn't actually the case

Chislehurst Borders (According to the estate agent)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul G (BHT) View Post
    Are you a 100% sure about that Andy? Pragmatix told someone I know very well that that wasn't actually the case
    I'm 100% certain of what Pragmatix told me, I need concern myself with it no more it is done, history, over.

Nothing to say other than I'm sure we can provide a cracking day's ride out for those who come to wee-kend

Trippy
    it is his prerogative to change his mind I don't know why its been decided by his mates to deride him for it publicly
    My thoughts exactly.

Trippy

I think your post above is the biggest load of bollox you have ever posted!

Sorry but I really think you are being pathetic about this.

And I can't really understand why on this thread you post ...

Quote Originally Posted by Proff View Post
    I think it's a bit of bad form to let us know that you are not interested this late in the day...
    When on Tarka you post ...

Quote Originally Posted by Proff View Post
    Steve was right to cancel if he felt strongly about someone abusing his wishes regarding HIS rideout....

So it is wrong that I choose not to lead a ride out with 3 weeks notice because I have serious concerns over possible liability.
    But right that Tarka should cancell a rideout with 48 hours notice because someone wanted to wear a Hi-viz jacket.

I will say no more.

The future's bright.... Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    I'm 100% certain of what Pragmatix told me, I need concern myself with it no more it is done, history, over.
    According to the man himself he was never chased, but the insurance company chased the council that owned the car park with loose gravel on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trippy View Post
    I will say no more.
    That would be most appreciated as this is becoming rather tedious Jim

You need the help of....

The Slow Granger

and a page of boxes to tick

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

Quote Originally Posted by Devon View Post
    I would be happy to lead, or help out, in a rideout.
    Id give you a hand Andy, but only owning an oily im banned
    but then at least when i break down a trusty airhead would get me home,

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast