Calum's Road is a goer

I'm sure that's doable - if you're free why not come up to the Skye Soiree at the end of August. That's pretty much the first time most of us will have met and I'm hoping that's when some detail will start to get thrashed out :thumb2

Andres

Edit: If you wanna have a chat about it feel free to give me a buzz 07989566126

that sounds good

darkhorse what is the planned return date for this trip?

In all the posts nobody has guesstimated a return date, I assume the nature of this trip means that we could encounter problems (little ones hopefully) so to select a completion date would be a real cross fingers job.

I am happy to go along with the 3/4 week estimate, but if it takes a little longer thats fine, as like Outtomunch I have put five weeks aside for the trip.

I did have an engagement at the O2 Arena on Feb 12th, but I guess thats in doubt now.:D

I have to back at work on the 11th Feb.
I am coming over to the Skye Sortie and very much looking forward to meeting you all.

When we did the Plymouth Banjul Rally I think it took us 20 days from Plymouth to Banjul at a reasonable pace with a couple of rest days. You could easily reduce that by one or two days but not much more if you want to have fun and not be rushed. It is too great an adventure to just race down there flat out every day and completely the wrong atitude for Africa. For example, at some police check points which could take a matter of seconds, they might "detain" you for 20 minutes as they insist you take tea with them. Much better to switch to African time and just chill out and go with the flow.

Allow 3 weeks from Rassay to Gambia, another couple of days to get up river to Calum's road and then another few days to get bikes back to Dakar for return shipping and you should be able to complete the journey in 4 weeks.

I'm coming to Skye end august meet and will bring a suggested route and approximate estimate of where we should aim to be each day. NB this is not to over organise it, it is just a suggestion so that we know on route if we are roughly on schedule and can have rest days when needed.

Cogs did his scoots over the sahara presentation at HU UK meet.

It took them 22 days on scooters. I known Ooynack is planning 4 weeks door to door for himself so return by 11th Feb seems easy.

Like Crapauds idea of a suggested route. I dare say due to possible numbers there'll be several routes as a group of 20 bikes probably isn't going to be greatest idea, more like a few groups taking different routes but aiming to finish on the same day etc?

Back
Top Bottom