D.I.Y RED LED INDICATOR STOP LIGHTS

(RIP) ugg

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
This thread is to show any electrical numpty can wire up a set of winker tail stop lights...

This isnt a new idea , ive copied it from another mates bike iv seen and , gathered information from mates that have done simalair..

The led's fit in the indicator pods , i used two in each, then feed the extended wire through the indicator stalk , up under the back mudguard into the rear light unit , for red (power) lead , and up under and through to the rhs bolt that holds ye rear rack on under the tool box this is your Earth point

step one...
acquire a pack of red 12v leds , mine was donated from a good lad of this site (cheers mike):thumb

step two
get some 2mm wire to extend the leds , i used an old satnav power lead and stripped out the black and red wires

step three
join and solder the red wires together for each led , to make four into two wires

step four
join and solder the black wires together for each led also to make four wires into two wires
UKGSER for sale xl pics 009.jpg
step five
extend each led set by soldering a long length of red wire to red power lead and black wire to black Earth lead
UKGSER for sale xl pics 012.jpg
remember to fit your shrink wrap before soldering wires together to get a good fitting
UKGSER for sale xl pics 010.jpg
you now should have two sets of four leds soldered to a long extention wire
UKGSER for sale xl pics 013.jpg

your leds should look like this
UKGSER for sale xl pics 014.jpg

continued...

continued..
step six

now remove your indicator pods each side and feed the wires through the stalks

UKGSER for sale xl pics 015.jpg
(tip use a long rod with tape on to pull the wires through )

UKGSER for sale xl pics 016.jpg
step seven

remove your rear lense and the light unit, behind are three male spades , two power and one return

step eight

feed the red power lead wire through and connect a two spade connector
UKGSER for sale xl pics 017.jpg

get your multi tester ,put your black lead to suitable earth and the red lead on the spade connectors turn on the bike , press the rear brake or front leaver...your meter will read 12v if you have the correct spade connector

to save messing around its the third spade connector on the left as the unit is fitted to the bike
see pic
UKGSER for sale xl pics 021.jpg

step nine

Remove the rear seat , and remove the tool box (try not to drop all ye tools) feed the black Earth wire up and through the grommet that the wires to the back light feed to on the loom, then fit a ring type connector to ye Earth wires .

step ten

remove the right bolt that holds the rear rack on , this is a good point for your Earth. fit the ring connector and tighten up the bolt (using correct torque settings)

UKGSER for sale xl pics 019.jpg

i tried the middle bolt under the tool box and couldnt get a good Earth,( duno , rubber mounted :nenau thats why i used the right bolt)
the tool box fittes perfectly on top so no fouling problems:thumb

continued....

Excellent work Im glad you used them and good pics of how to do it. Since doing mine I have done 1000's of miles without any problems.:thumb

:thumb2

continued ..

step eleven

now fit stalks back on with indicator pods, there is enough gap at each side of the pods to mount the led's , i used silicone to seal them in (a mates idea) ta digger06:thumb

the led's sit here...
UKGSER for sale xl pics 022.jpg

put ye back light unit back on and the rear lense cover , and test the led's
before fitting the indicator lenses just to check if owts a miss:augie
UKGSER for sale xl pics 023.jpg

fit ye lense cover and test the indicators , just incase ye have knocked any wires , n just to test how it looks
this is the pic of leds with brake light on
UKGSER for sale xl pics 025.jpg
this pic is with the indicators switched on..the leds are seen but dont overpower your indicator bulbs

picUKGSER for sale xl pics 024.jpg

now go out on the bike and look in the mirror at the startled reaction from other drivers when ye put the brake on

Just to add, the leds will still work if your stop filiment blows on the bulb , this is because you Earthed to the bolt under the seat. (a very good saftey measure i think):cool:
pic
UKGSER for sale xl pics bike led pic.JPG

UGG.TEK.COM

Back
Top Bottom