G450x Clutch adjustment, engine stalling

Sammo

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Has anyone had any problems with clutch adjustment, also any probs with the bike cutting out at low revs? I have had ait a few times where i just go to pull away and the engine just cuts out.

Has anyone had any problems with clutch adjustment, also any probs with the bike cutting out at low revs? I have had ait a few times where i just go to pull away and the engine just cuts out.

Ask the dealer to check it out underwarranty

No probs with clutch on mine........needs about 5-10mm of freeplay at lever

No probs with clutch on mine........needs about 5-10mm of freeplay at lever

Johnny, Sammo's bike is a 450. Clutch freeplay at lever should be 1mm.
After the first ride of my bike, the cable needed adjusting more than the lever adjuster would handle. The engine end of the cable requires taking up, and then us the lever end for fine tuning.

As for the stalling issue, well it looks like a characteristic of the engine, though I have reduced the number of stalls by blipping the throttle slightly just before releasing the clutch.

Timpo.

Clutch is great and it has virtually no freeplay. I have read reports that the clutch is an all or nothing affair due to its location on the crank but I have had no issues with mine and it just feels like a normal clutch. Get it checked by the dealer.

I had issues with the bike stalling on the down shift to first but it got a lot better on the full power plug and cleared completely after about 20 hours of use. It always seemed to do it as I blipped it on the down shift but as my KTM and 'Berg used to do the same I blame me.

Johnny, Sammo's bike is a 450. Clutch freeplay at lever should be 1mm.
After the first ride of my bike, the cable needed adjusting more than the lever adjuster would handle. The engine end of the cable requires taking up, and then us the lever end for fine tuning.

As for the stalling issue, well it looks like a characteristic of the engine, though I have reduced the number of stalls by blipping the throttle slightly just before releasing the clutch.

Timpo.

D'oh:blast:blast:blast

Had a few runs out of an X Country dealer demo bike whilst my own bike was in for service. There were a couple of time when the engine cut out on 2nd to 1st downshifts. I thought at first it was just me & an unfamiliar bike, however from speaking to others & reading these forums I think the fuelling is slightly off and set too lean. Believe BMW may have an alternative fuel map as a fix.

11) Idle
Adjust the correct idling. With both mappings it should be between 1850 1/min and 1950 1/min

its a copper screw

i think ypou have to get used to the clutch, the first hours i had the same, but with the power plug and more hours i havent had it at all.

once again thanks for the info. i had better get a Tacho!

Apparently the cutting out is common on virtually all high performance thumpers its due to catching the rev at the wrong part of the stroke when opening the throttle and as mentioned can be helped by gently blipping the throttle to raise the revs, i found that fitting the akrapovic exhaust improved it a bit as did the full power chip but it still catches me out!! i reckon BMW will bring out a revised re-map soon, hope it doesnt affect the performance too much though!

Perhaps i need to adjust my riding style, mt throttle is either full on or full off!! :)

Back
Top Bottom