Visa's Carnet's and Containers

Uinneag

Spoke to Paul Gowan the RAC carnet man today. Senegal changes it's mind on a monthly basis.
If we end up needing one he'll sort them out but thinks it's unlikely, we don't need to do anything until november anyway.
He told me to keep an eye on Horizons unlimited he post's in there.

Container man will give me a rough price in the next day or so for 14 bikes:thumb

Nice one and thanks for starting to look into the container already.

Carnets are a reet pain so fingers crossed :thumb2

Andres

Carnets are a reet pain so fingers crossed :thumb2

Andres

Aye and a reet pain in the wallet £900 estimated cost:eek:
If you bring the bike back you get half back.
Paul will also look into a block insurance which may prove cheaper.
We don't need to worry about that just know though I was just testing the water.as we don't need to do anything about it till November.
I'll not be getting a carnet at that price I'll just chance ma barra at the border:thumb2

Thanks H.R.H beer:
just finished the Calums rd book last night great story
What do you reckon on the recent craic in Mauritania could it cause us any problem?:eek

What do you reckon on the recent craic in Mauritania could it cause us any problem?:eek

The departure date is 2010 - it's Africa. Mauritania might not even be there in 2010. :D

Steptoes right:eek:

We'll cross that border when we come to it:blast:D

On the Visa front

Been routing through different sources for visas and the like and thought it might be useful to post some here.

Morroco

Good source of information on this very site provided by Tim Cullis including information about online documentation for a vehicles temporary import to the country.

Chris Scott's Sahara Overland site has a regularly updated page worth reading.

While a passport will be required visas are not for members of EU countries for stays of up to 3 months. Visitors should ensure that their passports are stamped when they enter the country.

Passport valid for intended period of stay required

Mauritania

Passport and visa required for us all.

The French Embassy in London are representing Mauritania since they closed their Embassy in 2007.

Details of visa application are available here Worth checking out as it would appear they need a lot of documentation. :eek:

Once again it's worth checking out Chris Scott's summary of Mauritania.

Senegal

Citizens of countries member of the European Union (EU) do not need visa
to travel to Senegal for up to three months stay.

Must have the bikes logbook or equivalent with you not a copy and confirm no vehicle is being left in the country when you leave.

The Gambia

While a passport will be required visas are not for those traveling on British or Irish passports. Not clear from what I could find on the web the situation for the Irish so I rang the Embassy to check.

Also asked about temporary importation documentation for a vehicle and was told " I don't think we need a form" so will email for confirmation.

Email from James Cargo

Hello Johnny,

Thank you for your enquiry. Based on you delivering the bike into our agents depot in Dakar, I suggest that we time it so that you assist with the loading of the container so that you are happy with the packing, where the bikes will be sent by ocean back to the UK, cleared through customs and delivered to our depot in Manchester ready for you to collect, the price would be £4250. This includes packing, freight, fuel surcharges, documentation, handling and export/import clearances.

We can also arrange insurance to cover loss or damage of your motorcycle during transit. This is based on 1.5% of the bikes value + freight + 10%. I hope this helps with your planning and please do let me know if you would like any further details.

Kind Regards
Giles Ernsting

Works out about £300 a skull to get the bike back before ins £500 inc

Ship goes to Manchester which is pretty cetral to all:thumb

Email from James Cargo

Feck, you was up early today :eek

That sounds pretty good to me and is about what I had budgetted for in my head, nice one :)

I'm guessing each bike goes into a crate? and in order to do that we have to drain fuel, remove batteries, and break down the bike to an extent? or do they do that?

Whatever, I'm easy and the price sounds good :thumb2

Andres

Been routing through different sources for visas and the like and thought it might be useful to post some here.

Morroco

Good source of information on this very site provided by Tim Cullis including information about online documentation for a vehicles temporary import to the country.

Chris Scott's Sahara Overland site has a regularly updated page worth reading.

While a passport will be required visas are not for members of EU countries for stays of up to 3 months. Visitors should ensure that their passports are stamped when they enter the country.

Passport valid for intended period of stay required

Mauritania

Passport and visa required for us all.

The French Embassy in London are representing Mauritania since they closed their Embassy in 2007.

Details of visa application are available here Worth checking out as it would appear they need a lot of documentation. :eek:

Once again it's worth checking out Chris Scott's summary of Mauritania.

Senegal

Citizens of countries member of the European Union (EU) do not need visa
to travel to Senegal for up to three months stay.

Must have the bikes logbook or equivalent with you not a copy and confirm no vehicle is being left in the country when you leave.

The Gambia

While a passport will be required visas are not for those traveling on British or Irish passports. Not clear from what I could find on the web the situation for the Irish so I rang the Embassy to check.

Also asked about temporary importation documentation for a vehicle and was told " I don't think we need a form" so will email for confirmation.

For what it's worth just come back from West Africa and the following applied:

Morocco. No visa, no carnet required. If you don't have insurance you can buy 10day, 1 month, 2 months at the border or in the first big twon. I have some details of brokers around Morocco.

Mauritania. Visa required. Easy to obtain in Rabat and cheaper than Europe. It takes 24 hours to issue. Get two there if you are riding back through Mauritania. It saves having to get another one in Senegal. Don't trust to being able to buy a visa at the border. A friend of mine tried to and was refused. It's a long way to a consulate. No carnet required. You can buy a passavant at the border. Avoid Rosso at all costs. Go to Djama. You can buy insurance at the border.

Senegal. No visa required. No carnet required for bikes under 4 years old. You can buy a passavant at the border. You may need a carnet for bikes over 4 years or try paying for a passavant at the border. Keep an eye on the HUBB for information. You can buy insurance at the border for either Senegal or all of West Africa for not much more.

The Gambia. No visa, no carnet required.

Mali. Visa required. You can get one in Nouakchott from the consulate. Takes a few hours or you can wait for it if they are not busy. Very cooperative and relaxed. No carnet required. Again buy a passavant at the border.

Freight rates

Hope no-one minds me sticking my nose in here.

The cost of freight, especially dry goods has tumbled since last summer with the Baltic Exchange dry goods rate being down 93% in that time.

If you haven't booked your container yet it may be better to renogotiate.

Also for what its worth, I know I'm comparing apples with caviar, but a 40' container to Taiwan only costed around £1,500 a year or so back.

My only reason for posting this is that the less costs you accrue the more you can give to charity:thumb2

Cheers Packer

Containers won't be booked until 2 months before we leave I'll keep that in mind:clap

There's also a pretty good container service to and from Banjul to Harwich that may well be cheaper....and the above is right, there was a think on the idiot box last night about container ships traveling half full and making huge losses 'cos they've got fekk all to carry at the moment.....definitely worth shopping around and bargaining hard!!

Oh yeah...Johnny, speak to Heather as well.....they ship stuff out to Banjul all the time and they have a cheap deal with someone...that's how I sent the container of scoots last year :thumb2

And yes, I'm gonna look for the stuff I promised you right now ;)

Back
Top Bottom