Trip costs

Hi Chris,

I'm planning to ship my bike to Baltimore on the ro-ro ship from Southampton at the end of April for a trip round the States and Canada. They also quoted me £600 for seafreight to Baltimore. I'm having problems getting a clear breakdown on the customs costs coming back the way (Baltimore to UK). Just wondered if you've had anything on this (had a quick scan of the thread and couldn't see anything).

The handling agent I'm in touch with quoted $750 export charge when the inbound customs/loading charge is $229 - I'm trying to find out why it is so much more to export.

Be interested to know what you are being quoted. If I get anything else on this I'll post it.

Cheers
Andy

Andy, who are you using? I would be interested because those fees seem far too high:eek:

Chris

Just a little thought, you may wish to consider. In 2004 we had to get eight race cars to Mid Ohio, after countless calculations on different routes, we decided to buy an old car transporter trailer,with sides, found a willing volunteer with a tractor unit, and that worked out pretty well. :thumb
We sent it ro ro Liverpool to the east coast ( and return ) then it was driven to our destination, there was a days delay getting paperwork sorted on arrival, but there was a cost saving for all the car owners, the vehicles were loaded to the owners satisfaction, and we were able to carry tools and spares on the truck, furthermore the cars were under the drivers supervision for most of the journey.
Now you wont require an artic, but I think an old ten ton rigid would be cheap to buy and would carry all your bikes and kit, weather the mathes still make sense I dont know.

Ps the trailer was resold when we got back for more than we bourght it for. :D:D

Motorcycle hire USA

Don't be alarmed at the title, I thought I'd just put things in perspective for us!
A quick search in the SF bay area and I found 1200GS's for hire for, are you sitting comfortably? $3400 for a month! This probably will not include half the taxes/extras so, shipping don't seem too bad after all.

FYI: To assit the Sgt and get as broad a spead of costs as possible, I've asked a local exporter for prices. If they come up trumps it'll be a convenient option for us, they're literally on a main line railway- easy to get home for some!

Love Katy.

attachment.php
Are we there YET???

Attachments

• shrek donkey.jpg
    shrek donkey.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 364
Just a little thought, you may wish to consider. In 2004 we had to get eight race cars to Mid Ohio, after countless calculations on different routes, we decided to buy an old car transporter trailer,with sides, found a willing volunteer with a tractor unit, and that worked out pretty well. :thumb
We sent it ro ro Liverpool to the east coast ( and return ) then it was driven to our destination, there was a days delay getting paperwork sorted on arrival, but there was a cost saving for all the car owners, the vehicles were loaded to the owners satisfaction, and we were able to carry tools and spares on the truck, furthermore the cars were under the drivers supervision for most of the journey.
Now you wont require an artic, but I think an old ten ton rigid would be cheap to buy and would carry all your bikes and kit, weather the mathes still make sense I dont know.

Ps the trailer was resold when we got back for more than we bourght it for. :D:D

Looked at that option and it`s not too bad but I`m doing 2 trips so would have to leave the truck in California. They won`t like that especially if it`s an Iveco:blast

Don't be alarmed at the title, I thought I'd just put things in perspective for us!
A quick search in the SF bay area and I found 1200GS's for hire for, are you sitting comfortably? $3400 for a month! This probably will not include half the taxes/extras so, shipping don't seem too bad after all.

FYI: To assit the Sgt and get as broad a spead of costs as possible, I've asked a local exporter for prices. If they come up trumps it'll be a convenient option for us, they're literally on a main line railway- easy to get home for some!

Love Katy.

attachment.php
Are we there YET???

The rental is really pricey and it`s always better to do any trip on your own steed IMHO:eek:

I`ve been back on the chase for shipping this week and my shipper is close to the best option:D

Hang in there dudes, it`s all coming together and hope the piggy banks are filling up:thumb

I know, I know! There's far too long to wait yet but....how about a get together?
We could throw ideas in the pot and plans out of the window and, if we get drunk enough, come up with some really stupid ideas that we might go with!!!!
Love Katy.

View attachment 113255

Ps: Not me, honest

Meet up?

I'm sure we can all meet up at some stage this year, be default at various meetings events etc. - though it would be great if we were able to meet up specifically at some time.

I keep telling myself, the trip is next year, that's not so long away, really, it's not - but it is! Pennies starting to be counted and saved...

Thanks Chris for organising this. PM en route soon to confirm the trip, but it will be the early one...

Alistair + Sandy

Death Valley..........hhhhhhhhot:eek: Excuse the Harley but it was a perfect bike for that trip....:augie

Attachments

• Death Valley.jpg
    Death Valley.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 321
  • Death Valley 1.jpg
    Death Valley 1.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 321
  • Death Valley 2.jpg
    Death Valley 2.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 322
  • Death Valley 3.jpg
    Death Valley 3.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 320
  • Death Valley 4.jpg
    Death Valley 4.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 315
I'm sure we can all meet up at some stage this year, be default at various meetings events etc. - though it would be great if we were able to meet up specifically at some time.

My only trip across the water this year will be to the Yorkshire weekend event in July. Will any of the rest of you be at that do?

Failing that I might be able to squeeze in a quick run across later in the summer. Mandy could spend a day with our son in Winslow at the same time.

My only trip across the water this year will be to the Yorkshire weekend event in July. Will any of the rest of you be at that do?

Failing that I might be able to squeeze in a quick run across later in the summer. Mandy could spend a day with our son in Winslow at the same time.

Yup. Should be ther pardner:beerjug:

OK everyone, I`ve finally got some costings for shipping and insurance.

Really sorry it`s taken so long but I`m keen to get the best rates and best shipping routes. As I`ve said before, California is a nightmare so it`s taken a while to get things sorted. I`m using Baltimore and Long Beach because I`ve used them before, they are nice and simple and perfect for the routes.

Anyway, here`s the estimated shipping costs. Please bear in mind that they may change but I`m assured it wouldn`t be by much.

Trip 1 West/East

Outbound: The bikes will be put in a 20ft container which will be loaded locally to me with facilities for packing etc. We`ll use the old crates from my local BMW dealer to secure the bikes and equipment. The container will be delivered into San Francisco via Houston where the customs clearance will be done. The container will then be trucked to Marin BMW in San Francisco for unloading. Marin may charge $50 a bike but they will be on hand for any problems. I`m over there in July so will confirm this. Approx delivery time will be 14 days.

Inbound: Bikes will be loaded on top a Ro/Ro ferry from Baltimore to Liverpool. Delivery time approx 8 days.

Total Cost: £1200.00 per bike which includes all customs charges which can be horrendous. This price may fluctuate between now and then but not by much.

Trip 2 East /West

Outbound: Bikes will be loaded onto a Ro/ Ro ferry from Liverpool to Baltimore. Delivery time approx 8 days.

Inbound: Bikes will be loaded onto a Ro/Ro ferry from Long Beach, California to Southampton. Delivery time 3/4 weeks.

Total Cost: £1300.00 per bike which includes all customs charges which can be horrendous and again, the price may fluctuate.

Bike Insurance

I`ve been talking directly to an insurance company in the US and a one month policy will cost approx $360.00 (US dollars). This can be booked directly with them. I`ve just used them for my upcoming trip to Alaska.

Personal Insurance

You will need an insurance which covers you for dangerous sports. Please check with your provider that it covers motor bikes over 125cc in the US. I have found that my holiday cover supplied with my LLoyds TSB account actually covers all the above (at last, something back from the bank:augie). However, I can arrange a fully insurance for around £145 which will cover you.

Flights

These are down to you but I`m trying to put together a special rate through an agent friend of mine so I`ll keep you updated. Currently, you can get a round trip in May/June/July for around £400 if you look hard enough but this could change dramatically.

Subject to all these costs being fairly accurate, you should be able to do the whole thing for maximum of £3500 depending how much grub and booze you like:augie Sounds like a lot of money when you say it but you`ll be seeing and experiencing some unforgettable things:D

I`ll get all this on a word document to everyone in the fullness of time.

I will most likely crate my bike over here Chris then truck it (FOC :)) over to you if that suits.

My daughter lives in San Francisco so I will most likely go out a few days ahead of you guys. Flights shouldn't be too much of a problem as our son is cabin crew and can secure pretty a good rate for me. :thumb2

I'll give you a ring some of these evenings.

Chris,

Thanks for all the work you've done. Sterling.:thumb:thumb:thumb

My plan would be to ship the bike over to Baltimore (Hope we survive the unions and McNulty!!! Yes, yet another The Wire freak) for the East/West trip with everybody else and fly with anybody else who's going there. Because I am going to stay on an do a bit of touring in the NW I would eventually return to Baltimore and put the bike on the ro-ro and fly back from there.

If necessary I can make seperate arrangements but if the whole thing is being booked together I can let you know my return date and that could be booked at the same time. :aidan

Great job Chris. I appreciate all the hard work. Thanks again. Looking forward to the trip hugely. I am happy with the arrangements so just confirm when you want the dosh.

Again - excellent work. Looking forward to the ride report on Alaska. :popcorn

TP

USA trip

Well done Chris sounds great but worried about sending the bikes through customs in California, did this in 2004 and they were not allowed in because "they were too dirty!" and before any clever dicks start taking the p, they had not just been in the dakka either but californian customs and the dept of Agriculture are very strange people with strange Ideas! we found out the hard way. Every other time we'd been they went to New Jersy and through customs etc there no probs. Anyway well done with all the organisation and enjoy the Dalton Highway! . If you do get to Prudoe Bay make sure your hungry at breakfast time $18.00 a shot you need a few helpings to get your money's worth!.
Dave GS.

Chris,

Thanks for all the work you've done. Sterling.:thumb:thumb:thumb

My plan would be to ship the bike over to Baltimore (Hope we survive the unions and McNulty!!! Yes, yet another The Wire freak) for the East/West trip with everybody else and fly with anybody else who's going there. Because I am going to stay on an do a bit of touring in the NW I would eventually return to Baltimore and put the bike on the ro-ro and fly back from there.

If necessary I can make seperate arrangements but if the whole thing is being booked together I can let you know my return date and that could be booked at the same time. :aidan

No problem and will be happy to arrange the return sailing for you through my shipper:thumb Can sort the dates out later.

Well done Chris sounds great but worried about sending the bikes through customs in California, did this in 2004 and they were not allowed in because "they were too dirty!" and before any clever dicks start taking the p, they had not just been in the dakka either but californian customs and the dept of Agriculture are very strange people with strange Ideas! we found out the hard way. Every other time we'd been they went to New Jersy and through customs etc there no probs. Anyway well done with all the organisation and enjoy the Dalton Highway! . If you do get to Prudoe Bay make sure your hungry at breakfast time $18.00 a shot you need a few helpings to get your money's worth!.
Dave GS.

Dave

I`m aware of the problems in California with customs and this is one of the reasons for the delay. The bikes will clear customs in Houston, Texas and will be trucked/railed to California. The Texans are a little easier:augie

Looking forward to the Dalton and should be on there in around 3 weeks:thumb We`ll be stopping at Wiseman before pushing up the Prudhoe Bay, take the bus trip and dip the tootsies in the Arctic Ocean:eek: Don`t worry, I`ll be getting my $18 worth:augie

USA trip prices...

Another one to add to the list thanking you for your hard work in drilling down some pricing for shipping, looking good!

Great Stuff, see you at the Yorkshire in July

Al

Another one to add to the list thanking you for your hard work in drilling down some pricing for shipping, looking good!

Great Stuff, see you at the Yorkshire in July

Al

Can you pm me your e-mail address? I mailes you on Friday but it kept bouncing back:blast

Back
Top Bottom